Personally... I'm not a huge fan of them. Or Quarter Horses. I truly do think it depends on the horse, and I'd get an appaloosa or a quarter horse in a second. IF it was a good horse. Here are my reasons why I'm not a huge fan of appaloosa's, and then I'll say why I'm not a huge fan of Quarter Horses:
1. Appaloosas tend to have really white, dirty type markings. Not that all of them are like that, but a lot of times when I look at a picture of an appaloosa (typical leopard appaloosas), I can't help but thinking that it's a very dirty horse. Even if it was cleaned within an inch of it's life. It's the coloring... or something. I dunno *shrugs*
2. They tend to be too Quarter Horsey. Too big of bums, and... well... that personality I'm not a huge fan of.
3. A lot of them look sickly. I'm unsure as to whether it's their natural headset, their color, or what. But a lot of appaloosas I've seen tend to look sick. Ill... something like that.
As for Quarter Horses:
1. I HATE the fact that they have giant rears... I seriously don't like round bums on horses. Not that I want flat ones, but I can't stand the ultra-muscular round bums that are on most Quarter Horses.
2. I'm not a huge fan of their stubborn, lazy, and laid-back personality. Now... I know that not ALL Quarter Horses are like that, but it tends to be the main theme in the breed. I like horses with spice and character. Not one that fits into the typical mold (and a lot of QH's do... not all... but most).
3. I dunno... whenever I see them... something just looks kind of... off. I have no idea if it's the head, the headset, the eyes, the bum, the legs, or what... it just seems like something isn't quite right.
4. A lot of the QH's I've known tend to be intelligent, but as stubborn and stupid (there's a difference between intelligent and stupid) as all get-out.
Those are the reasons I'm not a fan of those two breeds. I love all horses. And wouldn't mind a Quarter Horse... or an Appaloosa. I'd just want one that doesn't fit into the "typical" mold. One that's either more pony, or more TB in appearance (rarely can you find a QH or an Appy that fits into the Draft mold) would be more for me. :)