Worst crosses you have heard of? - Page 10
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds

Worst crosses you have heard of?

This is a discussion on Worst crosses you have heard of? within the Horse Breeds forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Friesian cross with paso fino horse
  • Paso fino saDDLEBRED CROSSES

Like Tree210Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-04-2012, 01:32 AM
  #91
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackwoodsBaby    
a welsh/arabian/quarter horse. She is 13.2 hh and very spunky and a fast little mare at that. I wouldnt say she is the worst but strange. Dam is welsh pony and sire is arabian/quarter horse. Attachment 115323
We once boarded a horse who was the exact same mix, except the sire was a QH and the Dam was an Arab/Welsh cross. Her name was Tia and she was absolutely adorable and actually quite pretty. Jet black with very fine Arab/welsh features. I wish we still had her.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-09-2012, 01:57 AM
  #92
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDreamer    
I think Arabians. Created from mist and dust? Psh! Come on. No wonder they are are so flighty! A slight breeze and they are GONE.
Posted via Mobile Device
THAT just made me laugh so hard!!! I've been saying that about Arabs for years!!!! No offense to the Arabian owners on here...
     
    12-09-2012, 02:07 AM
  #93
Foal
Personally I think two of the worst crosses is a TWH x Gypsy Vanner and a Paso Fino x QH... The Paso/QH cross had horrible conformation but good disposition. The horse had no idea how to gait or trot... AQHA Girl can attest to that because she knew the horse. The Walker/Vanner is a stud who should have been gelding asap... Worst conformation I have ever seen-which is saying a lot. I just don't see how someone could cross a lanky gaited horse with something beefy and coarse and drafty... Gaited horses and draft type horses/ponies do NOT EVER MIX..... EVER!!!!! They turn out deformedish looking and IMO are only usable for trail riding and possibly driving depending on the build...
     
    12-09-2012, 02:37 PM
  #94
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsietori    
Personally I think two of the worst crosses is a TWH x Gypsy Vanner and a Paso Fino x QH... The Paso/QH cross had horrible conformation but good disposition. The horse had no idea how to gait or trot... AQHA Girl can attest to that because she knew the horse. The Walker/Vanner is a stud who should have been gelding asap... Worst conformation I have ever seen-which is saying a lot. I just don't see how someone could cross a lanky gaited horse with something beefy and coarse and drafty... Gaited horses and draft type horses/ponies do NOT EVER MIX..... EVER!!!!! They turn out deformedish looking and IMO are only usable for trail riding and possibly driving depending on the build...
Mel!! I miss her, I wonder hows she's doing...

Anything gaited mixed with a non gaited is bound to not go well when the baby comes out.....
AllieJ333 and horsietori like this.
     
    12-09-2012, 03:41 PM
  #95
Trained
When I was working at an equestrian I saw a weird combo
A Thoroughbred/ Saddlebred X Clydesdale those breeds are fine on their own
But that cross was sure weird
     
    12-09-2012, 07:44 PM
  #96
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAQHAGirl    
Mel!! I miss her, I wonder hows she's doing...

Anything gaited mixed with a non gaited is bound to not go well when the baby comes out.....
ANYWHERE is better then that "place" where we were... She had bad conformation.
TheAQHAGirl and AllieJ333 like this.
     
    12-09-2012, 09:59 PM
  #97
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsietori    
They turn out deformedish looking and IMO are only usable for trail riding and possibly driving depending on the build...
I really wish you wouldn't use that expression. There are horses that can walk down a trail - and then there are trail horses - and then there are good trail horses...just as there are horses that can jog around a track, then there are racehorses, then there are good race horses. Proper conformation, temperament, and training, are just as important in making a good trail horse as in any other discipline...IMO moreso...
     
    12-10-2012, 01:06 AM
  #98
Weanling
Wow, why is everyone so down on Friesian crosses? Here is mine, he is absolutely the best horse I have ever known or had, and I've owned and rode horses for over 50 years. The only other horse I've ever had that came close to him was my Arabian/Lippizzan cross.......

horsietori likes this.
     
    12-10-2012, 12:08 PM
  #99
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokotaheaven    
WHAT the?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??? XD
Lol she is pretty cute, reminds me of a Dachshund ;)
Nokotaheaven likes this.
     
    12-10-2012, 01:16 PM
  #100
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent one    
Wow, why is everyone so down on Friesian crosses? Here is mine, he is absolutely the best horse I have ever known or had, and I've owned and rode horses for over 50 years. The only other horse I've ever had that came close to him was my Arabian/Lippizzan cross.......

What is his other breed in him? He's beautiful!!! It just depends on what other breed a Friesian is mixed with I think. Personally I LOVE Appy and Friesian crosses, as long as they have loud coloring. Most people mix opposite breeds together and get something weird. Like a Paso Fino and Quarter Horse. They can turn out great (my friend has one right now who is pretty) and I've also met one that had horrible conformation and didn't know how to trot or gait. I'm all for refining bigger boned horses down such as mixing Thoroghbred and Percheron to create something that is pretty good at dressage(not always). My PMU mare is Thoroughbred, Percheron, and Quarter Horse. Great for dressage and also sturdy for trail and whatever else I throw at her (I've even placed 2nd twice in reining with her). One great mix is a Gypsy Vanner and Haflinger-but again, they are both draft type horses. Breeding opposites is a risky business. Sometimes you get good ones, other times you get weird ones.
Silent one likes this.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Worst horse seller excuse you've heard equiniphile Horse Talk 119 10-12-2012 04:52 AM
What's the Worst Horse Name You've Ever Heard? Jessabel Horse Talk 190 10-10-2012 08:59 AM
Worst Show/Registerd name you have ever heard Cinnys Whinny Horse Shows 175 09-21-2010 12:31 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0