Would you even bother?
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds

Would you even bother?

This is a discussion on Would you even bother? within the Horse Breeds forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        02-10-2010, 11:37 AM
      #1
    Weanling
    Would you even bother?

    Well Bause is my Arabian mare. I am going to ask Danielle about her papers sometime soon, I just got her an Danielle is her old owner. My issue is I have no clue if she was ever actually registered or if she is only eligible but they were never sent in. I do know she is all Arab. (polish/crabbet)

    So my question is, should she not come up as already registered should I bother to have it done an pay the fee?

    She is a 10 y.o so ill have to pay around $350 to $375 (i went an looked up fees) and I don't plan to breed her, at least not for a long time and most likely never. I may consider endurance racing if I can get her straitened out an her training corrected but that wouldn't be anytime soon either.

    I'm really hoping she is registered. Then its just a forty dollar transfer fee if I want her in my name...I'm just trying to decide if it would be worth it to register her if she inst already registered.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        02-10-2010, 11:51 AM
      #2
    Weanling
    If you plan on showing at the Arab Breed Shows or belonging to any sort of Incentive Fund or getting any sort of points then Yes.

    If you don't, why bother indeed.
         
        02-10-2010, 06:27 PM
      #3
    Foal
    I agree with Void, the only real reason you would want to get her registered is if you want to do any kind of showing that requires registered Arabs.
         
        02-11-2010, 12:33 AM
      #4
    Yearling
    Eehh I wouldnt. The only reason you should is if your going to start some big showing.
         
        02-11-2010, 03:15 AM
      #5
    Weanling
    If she is not registered but is eligible, and the price is not prohibitive to you, I would do it, because it keeps the horse's heritage with it. I hate to see a horse's "birthright" seperated from it, for any reason!

    Also if you ever want to/need to sell the horse, there will be a bigger potential market for a registered horse. (regardless of talent and training, some buyers just won't buy unregistered-- they want to know the pedigree and history and want to have the option of showing at breed shows or participating in association programs, etc.)

    If you or anyone ever wants to breed her, it almost goes without saying that she should be registered.

    You might check with the AHA on the fees as well-- sometimes they run registration fee specials for older horses.
         
        02-15-2010, 05:14 AM
      #6
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pidge    
    Well Bause is my Arabian mare. I am going to ask Danielle about her papers sometime soon, I just got her an Danielle is her old owner. My issue is I have no clue if she was ever actually registered or if she is only eligible but they were never sent in. I do know she is all Arab. (polish/crabbet)

    So my question is, should she not come up as already registered should I bother to have it done an pay the fee?

    She is a 10 y.o so ill have to pay around $350 to $375 (i went an looked up fees) and I don't plan to breed her, at least not for a long time and most likely never. I may consider endurance racing if I can get her straitened out an her training corrected but that wouldn't be anytime soon either.

    I'm really hoping she is registered. Then its just a forty dollar transfer fee if I want her in my name...I'm just trying to decide if it would be worth it to register her if she inst already registered.
    Well I'd find out before racing ahead and getting her registered. It could end up a total waste of time and money if you do that so just wait to find out yeah?
         
        02-15-2010, 07:55 AM
      #7
    Weanling
    >>>> Well I'd find out before racing ahead and getting her registered. It could end up a total waste of time and money if you do that so just wait to find out yeah?

    If she IS already registered, it would be difficult if not impossible to register again-- the person registering the horse has to submit paperwork with the signatures of both the sire and dam owners confirming sire and dam were bred together, and specifying the day/month/year the breeding took place, and AHA requires DNA to be submitted matching the applicant offspring to both parents. So if the horse were already registered, all of that would have been done, and the sire and dam owners and the AHA would have record of it all.
         
        02-16-2010, 09:34 AM
      #8
    Yearling
    If you are just going to use her mainly as a trail horse and endurance prospect, I don't see the need to register her. You know that she is purebred, why do you need to waste the money to prove it when you arent going to use it to your advantage? It might just come in handy if you were to sell her to have the papers handy. You would probably have to (if you WERE going to sell her, not saying that you are ) list her as a grade, since you wouldnt have her papers.
         
        02-16-2010, 10:34 AM
      #9
    mls
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eastowest    
    >>>> Well I'd find out before racing ahead and getting her registered. It could end up a total waste of time and money if you do that so just wait to find out yeah?

    If she IS already registered, it would be difficult if not impossible to register again-- the person registering the horse has to submit paperwork with the signatures of both the sire and dam owners confirming sire and dam were bred together, and specifying the day/month/year the breeding took place, and AHA requires DNA to be submitted matching the applicant offspring to both parents. So if the horse were already registered, all of that would have been done, and the sire and dam owners and the AHA would have record of it all.
    If she is registered, duplicate papers are all that needs to be requested. If the seller is not handing them over, the buyer can contact the association to see what the next step is.
         
        02-16-2010, 12:30 PM
      #10
    Weanling
    If she is already registered, but the papers are not able to be found, then the owner of record (whoever's name is listed on the papers/in AHA records as the current owner) has to complete an notarized affidavit saying what happened to the papers and requesting a duplicate set, and send it with the fee and the bill of sale to the AHA so that the new owner gets the duplicate set listing them as the new owner of record.

    AHA MIGHT work with the buyer, if the buyer has a bill of sale signed by the owner of record sayign that they sold the registered mare to the buyer but then is not turning over papers.....but horses can be sold without papers, so unless there is proof that the papers are specifically intedended to go with the mare, it could be tough to get a duplicate set without the signature of the owner of record on something.

    OP, do you know what the mares registered name is supposed to be, or what her sire and dam's names are?
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Bother you? wannahorse22 Horse Riding 20 12-31-2009 10:21 PM
    Should I Even Bother? huntandjump Dressage 4 09-30-2009 07:50 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:39 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0