Any ideas on possible foal color? - Page 4
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Colors and Genetics

Any ideas on possible foal color?

This is a discussion on Any ideas on possible foal color? within the Horse Colors and Genetics forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree53Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        03-11-2013, 12:16 AM
      #31
    Foal
    That foal could easily be smoky cream. The dam could be smoky brown and/or smoky black. It's REALLY hard to tell cream on them, and they can look 100% bay and still carry cream.

    I think the foal is a double dilute.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        03-11-2013, 12:20 AM
      #32
    Yearling
    So in order to produce a double dilute, both parents have to carry the cream gene right?

    So, my mare carries it, and the stallion carries it....so then is it a given the foal will have it?
         
        03-11-2013, 12:23 AM
      #33
    Trained
    No. If the mare happens to be a smoky black and the sire does too, then there would be a 25% chance of the foal being smoky cream because both parents would be Crcr.

    Crcr + Crcr =

    Crcr
    Crcr
    Crcr
    CrCr

    Google punnett squares.

    But like I said, my guess what really out there and based on some poor quality photos and I wasn't going to commit to that idea without better pictures.
         
        03-11-2013, 12:23 AM
      #34
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmsTNWalkers    
    So in order to produce a double dilute, both parents have to carry the cream gene right?

    So, my mare carries it, and the stallion carries it....so then is it a given the foal will have it?
    No. If both parents carry one copy you have 25% chance the foal WON'T have it, 50% chance the foal will have one copy (palomino, buckskin, smoky black, etc) and 25% chance the foal will have two copies (cremello, perlino, smoky cream, etc).
         
        03-11-2013, 12:25 AM
      #35
    Yearling
    Wow, so this really is a crap shoot then! Anyone want to place bets?! LOL
         
        03-11-2013, 12:27 AM
      #36
    Trained
    When is your mare due?
         
        03-11-2013, 12:27 AM
      #37
    Yearling
    Punnett squares =
         
        03-11-2013, 12:31 AM
      #38
    Yearling
    She's due any time now! Here's pics of her now. Her coat is shedding off and you can see how much darker it is underneath.

    2013-03-10_10-17-53_372.jpg

    2013-03-10_10-17-33_126.jpg
         
        03-11-2013, 12:39 AM
      #39
    Trained
    Oh, splendid! You have to post pictures when she foals so we can decipher its color.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmsTNWalkers    
    punnett squares =
    They're very simple actually. A horse can only have up to 2 copies of a gene so you put those in and you'll get your possibilities in terms of fourths.

    For example, frame overo, which is denoted as O and is the gene that causes LWOS. My mare is N/O and if I were to breed her to another N/O horse, I'd get

    25% NN
    50% NO (two results in NO, but no point in listing them separately as two 25% chances)
    25% OO, which is lethal
         
        03-11-2013, 12:43 AM
      #40
    Yearling
    Oh I definitely will! I'm hoping for something great given the parents colors. This was NOT a planned breeding, so at the very least I hope a really cool colt comes out of it.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Normal Stool In One Day Old Foal?? AND Foal Color Chelley Horse Health 8 05-20-2012 01:37 AM
    Foal Color, help me guess what color he'll shed out.. frogtree Horse Breeding 11 04-25-2012 11:29 PM
    Foal names ideas! howrsegirl123 Horse Talk 9 03-26-2012 01:04 PM
    *Foal did not make it* - Foal due soon! Color/sex guesses? Poco1220 Horse Breeding 185 07-28-2011 08:16 PM
    Foal Name Ideas? JazperTheEventer Horse Breeding 9 02-08-2011 09:35 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:03 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0