Bay or Brown? - Page 4
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Colors and Genetics

Bay or Brown?

This is a discussion on Bay or Brown? within the Horse Colors and Genetics forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Brown horse genetics
  • Genitic horse colors

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-02-2011, 07:46 PM
  #31
Yearling
017.jpg

Her dam is a buckskin and her sire is a dun. She is a registered bay.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-02-2011, 07:54 PM
  #32
Yearling
016.jpg

He is a registered bay.
     
    07-02-2011, 09:17 PM
  #33
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by goneriding    

He is a registered bay.
Registry bodies are not known for being either accurate with their colours or up-to-date with current research. Relying on what the registry says can often result in a horse being called the wrong colour.

Just want to add my two cents here. There seems to be a stigma attached to having a horse that is 'just' brown. Almost as if brown is a 'bad' colour. It's not! It's a variation of bay, just like wild bay is. It is not a reflection on your horse's quality, their breeding or their potential. A good horse is never a bad colour, and this applies to our brown equines too.
     
    07-02-2011, 10:18 PM
  #34
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiilaa    
Registry bodies are not known for being either accurate with their colours or up-to-date with current research. Relying on what the registry says can often result in a horse being called the wrong colour.

Just want to add my two cents here. There seems to be a stigma attached to having a horse that is 'just' brown. Almost as if brown is a 'bad' colour. It's not! It's a variation of bay, just like wild bay is. It is not a reflection on your horse's quality, their breeding or their potential. A good horse is never a bad colour, and this applies to our brown equines too.

I think the AQHA and APHA are competent on their color knowledge.
     
    07-02-2011, 10:33 PM
  #35
Green Broke
Personally I prefer browns over bays. I have a solid brown mare who I think is the prettiest horse we own! If I saw anything to indicate Phoenix was actually brown I would claim it in a heartbeat.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    07-02-2011, 10:39 PM
  #36
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyPerlinoQH    
I think the AQHA and APHA are competent on their color knowledge.
Sorry, this is the most hilarious statement I have heard in a while.

Seriously? They are two of the worst bodies when it comes to colour knowledge.
     
    07-02-2011, 11:48 PM
  #37
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiilaa    
Just want to add my two cents here. There seems to be a stigma attached to having a horse that is 'just' brown. Almost as if brown is a 'bad' colour. It's not! It's a variation of bay, just like wild bay is. It is not a reflection on your horse's quality, their breeding or their potential. A good horse is never a bad colour, and this applies to our brown equines too.
Very well said! I personally don't enjoy a chestnut horse(unless there's a lot of chrome) but if I found one that was a chestnut that was perfect for what I was looking for in every other way but the color...I'd snatch it up.

Aww my brownie boy is special haha. I personally love brown horses, they hide the dirt very well haha.
     
    07-03-2011, 10:35 AM
  #38
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiilaa    
Sorry, this is the most hilarious statement I have heard in a while.

Seriously? They are two of the worst bodies when it comes to colour knowledge.
Well Maybe they don't have knowledge of "colour" but the have some knowledge of color.
     
    07-03-2011, 11:04 AM
  #39
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyPerlinoQH    
Well Maybe they don't have knowledge of "colour" but the have some knowledge of color.
There's no difference in the two spellings other than the fact that they're different spellings. Colour is from a region (England maybe?) and color is how grade school (schools) in the US teaches it. There is no difference in meaning.
And, I agree with Chiilaa. A horse at our barn is registered red roan when he's clearly chestnut with possible Sabino, yet has about a spot of slight roan about the size of an adult hand. They're not too knowledgable about colour patterns either, ime.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    07-03-2011, 01:10 PM
  #40
Yearling
Colour and color are both the correct spelling FYI just depends which area your in/live in.

Okay.... this thread is actually really intresting. I'v learned so much! But still confused lol ok what happens if a horse is black and sheds out into a dark bay. Can that happen or would he be brown?

This is Norman. I was told he was a bay but I never really agree'd with it... brown right? Or am I wrong? Just applying my gut feeling and what I just learned lol
Winter coat




Summer:


Or what about my boy?

Winter:


Now: this was just taken the other day after a bath











He temporaily went REALLY light and looked like this. This was mid way through his shed out.

     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seal Brown? Trish2010 Horse Breeding 7 04-08-2010 10:46 AM
Brown Cremello? AztecBaby Horse Grooming 3 10-27-2009 11:36 PM
Brown or black? JustDressageIt Horse Talk 21 08-18-2009 09:45 PM
Charlie Brown claireauriga Horse Pictures 2 07-30-2008 03:24 PM
Big Brown Injured! irisheyes12 Horse Talk 12 06-03-2008 01:47 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0