Breeding My Mare - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Colors and Genetics

Breeding My Mare

This is a discussion on Breeding My Mare within the Horse Colors and Genetics forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree63Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        03-23-2012, 08:37 PM
      #11
    Foal
    I'm very sorry this thread has alarmed you all !!
    You see, when my little sister told me that she had posted something in my profile in the middle of a fight, I instantly freaked out and demanded her to tell me where it is...
    My sister loves horses right, but she is quite young and doesn't know enough to have her own and of course she wants a foal, so she has her heart set on breeding my mare! And she figures I can just look after it for her.
    I have taught her a bit but she's still learning....

    I will try to keep teaching her things so she doesn't have to ask you all silly questions, or i'll just learn to logout!

    I'm sorry you all wasted your time answering!
    Wallaby and FlyGap like this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        03-23-2012, 09:01 PM
      #12
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmarie    
    Papers don't make a horse, there are many 1/2 what ever registries out there, if papers are important.

    I may get roasted for this but there are very few actual purebred horses in the world, most have other breeds in the lines such as 1/4 horses and Paints have alot of TB in the lines.
    My comment isn't in regard to being purebred anything, it's in knowing the history of my mare, her lines, their attributes and achievements. I don't care if she is half whatever, I just want to be able to trace it back so I can know reasonably what to expect. It is also a hell of a lot easier to sell a papered foal than an unregistered one, but you can always register a paint or some other kind of cross.

    The value isn't in the papers, but the reliable information and knowledge.

    To the OP, I'm glad you don't want to sell your mare willy nilly, but I don't think the question is a silly one. The only way to learn is to ask. :) I'm glad she had the forethought to go onto this forum and ask for opinions on the correct procedure. It speaks volumes for her future. :)
    NdAppy, BaileyJo and cmarie like this.
         
        03-23-2012, 09:38 PM
      #13
    Yearling
    Your right the value isn't in papers, it's in ability, training, conformation, and the heart of the horse and rider.
         
        03-23-2012, 09:46 PM
      #14
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmarie    

    I may get roasted for this but there are very few actual purebred horses in the world, most have other breeds in the lines such as 1/4 horses and Paints have alot of TB in the lines.
    This is a poor comparison. Both the AQHA and APHA allow thoroughbreds as approved outcrosses and both registries have always allowed the influence. Completely different than breeding a random QH cross to a random stallion.
    2BigReds likes this.
         
        03-23-2012, 09:58 PM
      #15
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GoAppendix    
    This is a poor comparison. Both the AQHA and APHA allow thoroughbreds as approved outcrosses and both registries have always allowed the influence. Completely different than breeding a random QH cross to a random stallion.
    That's exactly what I mean, you can cross them and still paper them. How is it different your still getting a cross, some crosses are good some aren't.
         
        03-23-2012, 10:00 PM
      #16
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmarie    
    That's exactly what I mean, you can cross them and still paper them. How is it different your still getting a cross, some crosses are good some aren't.
    I don't think you understand how the registries work. Do you understand outcrosses or advancement out of the appendix registry?
         
        03-23-2012, 10:27 PM
      #17
    Yearling
    Oh I do understand how the registries work. All's I'm saying it's still a crossbred.
         
        03-23-2012, 10:29 PM
      #18
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GoAppendix    
    I don't think you understand how the registries work. Do you understand outcrosses or advancement out of the appendix registry?
    Oh, I think most of us "understand". But registration policies don't change the fact that a QH crossed with a TB is a mixed breed cross. The fact that TB's are part of QH roots is not relevant. At this point in time they are different breeds with different muscle composition and different conformations. Arabs are part of QH roots as well, but not recognized as a registerable cross. Registration policies do not supercede genetics...never have, and never will. I don't oppose Appendix Quarterhorses - I like them in fact because of their versatility. But a cross is a cross nonetheless...
         
        03-23-2012, 10:39 PM
      #19
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BitingTheBit    
    I'm very sorry this thread has alarmed you all !!
    You see, when my little sister told me that she had posted something in my profile in the middle of a fight, I instantly freaked out and demanded her to tell me where it is...
    My sister loves horses right, but she is quite young and doesn't know enough to have her own and of course she wants a foal, so she has her heart set on breeding my mare! And she figures I can just look after it for her.
    I have taught her a bit but she's still learning....

    I will try to keep teaching her things so she doesn't have to ask you all silly questions, or i'll just learn to logout!

    I'm sorry you all wasted your time answering!
    It's not a waste of time. Remember that for every poster there are scores of readers that don't post - some of whom may be considering breeding at some point. It is never a waste of time to have informational discussions where people can access information and opinions to help them make breeding decisions...
    smrobs and 2BigReds like this.
         
        03-23-2012, 10:39 PM
      #20
    Yearling
    I have an Appendix mare love her to death, she has more TB characteristics than 1/4, she goes either english or western.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Soild paint breeding stock mare or Qh mare Parker Horse Ranch Horse Breeds 10 03-06-2012 12:41 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:47 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0