Brown
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Colors and Genetics

Brown

This is a discussion on Brown within the Horse Colors and Genetics forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Difference between bay and brown horse
  • Difference between brown and bay horse

Like Tree5Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-25-2012, 03:27 PM
  #1
Yearling
Brown

Can someone please tell me the difference between Bay and Brown?

And also, is there a difference between Black-Brown and Bay-Brown?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    06-25-2012, 03:34 PM
  #2
Banned
Well, for bay and brown:

Bay: the horse is a chestnutty color or darker with black socks, mane/tale and sometimes muzzle.

Brown: well, if you look at Piaffes thread, that foal is a fine example of brown.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    06-25-2012, 03:35 PM
  #3
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternTale    
Well, for bay and brown:

Bay: the horse is a chestnutty color or darker with black socks, mane/tale and sometimes muzzle.

Brown: well, if you look at Piaffes thread, that foal is a fine example of brown.
Posted via Mobile Device
Could you post a link to the thread?
     
    06-25-2012, 03:37 PM
  #4
Banned
Rhapsody and Aeropostle-2012 WB fillies

Rhapsodies the one I'm talking about. And the mother would be an example of bay.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    06-25-2012, 03:39 PM
  #5
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternTale    
Rhapsody and Aeropostle-2012 WB fillies

Rhapsodies the one I'm talking about. And the mother would be an example of bay.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you.

So, Bays have dark points and Browns don't?
     
    06-25-2012, 03:40 PM
  #6
Banned
I guess you could say that .. But it all really depends...
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    06-25-2012, 03:49 PM
  #7
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternTale    
I guess you could say that .. But it all really depends...
Posted via Mobile Device
On what?
     
    06-25-2012, 03:53 PM
  #8
Banned
Well... You seen what browns are.. Some can have different ... Color ... Patterns. They will always be that color, but they can have their dark points, but not as noticiable as bays. I used to have a brown that had darker legs then the coat pattern, and my friends horse ATM has darker mane and tail then the coat pattern. ( he's a brown )
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    06-25-2012, 03:54 PM
  #9
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternTale    
Well... You seen what browns are.. Some can have different ... Color ... Patterns. They will always be that color, but they can have their dark points, but not as noticiable as bays. I used to have a brown that had darker legs then the coat pattern, and my friends horse ATM has darker mane and tail then the coat pattern. ( he's a brown )
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh okay, so, Bays have darker points that are noticably darker than the rest of their coat. And Browns can come in a range of tones, have some faint dark points?
     
    06-25-2012, 03:55 PM
  #10
Banned
Pretty much.
Posted via Mobile Device
Snizard93 likes this.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anyone here know the name Marion Brown? Kymbadina Gaited Horses 6 08-03-2012 12:20 AM
Bay and Brown? Laineylou Horse Colors and Genetics 5 04-23-2012 11:01 AM
Brown or Bay MysterySparrow Horse Colors and Genetics 14 10-30-2011 09:25 AM
Bay, brown or red dun? Plains Drifter Horse Colors and Genetics 24 08-17-2011 05:17 PM
Bay or Brown? Phantomcolt18 Horse Colors and Genetics 49 07-04-2011 11:12 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0