color possibilities - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Colors and Genetics

color possibilities

This is a discussion on color possibilities within the Horse Colors and Genetics forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree26Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        06-09-2013, 09:17 AM
      #21
    Trained
    Either he is indeed ee based.........

    Or some other stallion was out having some fun about 11 months ago. Could have even been a ungelded yearling, 10 month old, 2 year old etc. it happens!

    If the sire was palomino, dam is chestnut, bay is genetically impossible. Absolutely no way, no how.

    Pull some tail hairs, send it in for base color testing. If it comes back that he isnt e/e, you have been absolutely 2000000 percent lied to regarding who the sire is.

    Regarding what the vet said about one 'popping up every once in awhile' well...I bred my chesnut mare to a grulla. And my vet said 'oh, you could get a palomino!' and was very adament about it. But no, you could not get palomino because neither sire, nor dam, carries any sort of cream gene.

    And the reason why they 'pop up' is due to a mare being bred by another horse and the owners not knowing or too irresponsible to realize their ungelded yearling can indeed, use what he's got.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    JCnGrace likes this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        06-09-2013, 11:29 AM
      #22
    Started
    If the tips of the top part of the ear are black then he is bay if not might be a dark chestnut.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        06-09-2013, 12:08 PM
      #23
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freedomfoundfarm    
    Looks like every bay I ever seen and I got 3 in my field.
    One of those could be daddy to produce a bay foal... If 11 months ago one was a boy and had something there, even if there was a fence in between the 2 horses. Sometimes vets miss something in the gelding procedure, a colt was thought to be gelded when he had undecended testices, breeding through a fence, horses jumping fences without the owners knowing, the list goes on and on with possibilities of how your surprise came to be.

    One thing is for certain, a true palomino cannot produce a bay foal with a sorrel mare. If you don't own the palomino, was she live covered or artificially inseminated? Did the stallion owner have other intact colts/studs? There could've been an accident you weren't told about. On rare occassions, there are semen mixups with AI as well.
         
        06-09-2013, 02:24 PM
      #24
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peppy Barrel Racing    
    Question are the tips of the ears black?
    YUP tips are black and we know for sure the sire is who he is....dam and foal are my profile pic gotta get a pic of sire but he is a pretty palomino not real dark at all
         
        06-09-2013, 02:25 PM
      #25
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SunnyDraco    
    One of those could be daddy to produce a bay foal... If 11 months ago one was a boy and had something there, even if there was a fence in between the 2 horses. Sometimes vets miss something in the gelding procedure, a colt was thought to be gelded when he had undecended testices, breeding through a fence, horses jumping fences without the owners knowing, the list goes on and on with possibilities of how your surprise came to be.

    One thing is for certain, a true palomino cannot produce a bay foal with a sorrel mare. If you don't own the palomino, was she live covered or artificially inseminated? Did the stallion owner have other intact colts/studs? There could've been an accident you weren't told about. On rare occassions, there are semen mixups with AI as well.
    NO all in my field are mares....none bred her...LOL and the stallion is 2 hrs away and she was bred to him....there was no other studs there and she was live cover. It all seems impossible but here he is....it happened....genetics did something here.....
         
        06-09-2013, 02:29 PM
      #26
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CLaPorte432    
    either he is indeed ee based.........

    Or some other stallion was out having some fun about 11 months ago. Could have even been a ungelded yearling, 10 month old, 2 year old etc. it happens!

    If the sire was palomino, dam is chestnut, bay is genetically impossible. Absolutely no way, no how.

    Pull some tail hairs, send it in for base color testing. If it comes back that he isnt e/e, you have been absolutely 2000000 percent lied to regarding who the sire is.

    Regarding what the vet said about one 'popping up every once in awhile' well...I bred my chesnut mare to a grulla. And my vet said 'oh, you could get a palomino!' and was very adament about it. But no, you could not get palomino because neither sire, nor dam, carries any sort of cream gene.

    And the reason why they 'pop up' is due to a mare being bred by another horse and the owners not knowing or too irresponsible to realize their ungelded yearling can indeed, use what he's got.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    ok...first this was a highly reputable breeder who had no other studs around and she was live cover. He has offered to DNA to put my mind at ease as well. I guess my question was answered but not really from here...I found 3 more with sorrel/palomino (WELL BRED) not backyard horses. Thanks yall but I think Im leaving this board every time I come asking a question I am attacked and slammed and called a liar....seriously folks....yall are the most unfriendly untrusting bunch!!
         
        06-09-2013, 02:37 PM
      #27
    Yearling
    Not attacking you, just stating facts. It is scientifically, genetically impossible for a sorrel and a palomino to have a bay. No ifs, ands or buts about it. Pull some tail hairs and pay the $25 for a test if you want to prove us wrong.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    xxdanioo likes this.
         
        06-09-2013, 04:04 PM
      #28
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freedomfoundfarm    
    ok...first this was a highly reputable breeder who had no other studs around and she was live cover. He has offered to DNA to put my mind at ease as well. I guess my question was answered but not really from here...I found 3 more with sorrel/palomino (WELL BRED) not backyard horses. Thanks yall but I think Im leaving this board every time I come asking a question I am attacked and slammed and called a liar....seriously folks....yall are the most unfriendly untrusting bunch!!
    No one said you were a liar or slammed you... But if your foal has a black gene, the sire is not a palomino. You can get a red based foal out of two heterogyzous blacks, but it is genetically impossible to get a black based foal out of two red based horses. Another forum member had surprise foals last year because some stallion down the road jumped several fences to visit the mares.

    I would love to see the results of genetic testing to know the colt has the black gene and then parentage verification if he does.

    You asked if it was possible to get a bay from a sorrel and palomino... The answer is no, every horse color lab will give you the same answer as well.

    Color Calculator
    smrobs and xxdanioo like this.
         
        06-09-2013, 04:29 PM
      #29
    Trained
    Exactly. ^^^

    You came here asking for a "simple" answer to your question. You got your answer. Just because you don't like the answer you got, doesn't mean its not the truth.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    smrobs, doubleopi and xxdanioo like this.
         
        06-09-2013, 04:37 PM
      #30
    Started
    No one is attacking you but that colt is bay so the sire is not palomino that's all. Could we have pics of the sire by chance?
    Posted via Mobile Device
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Foal color possibilities BloomingLilies Horse Colors and Genetics 3 03-15-2012 10:57 AM
    Color possibilities of a future colt. MyLittlePonies Horse Breeding 17 03-30-2011 08:03 PM
    Breeding possibilities? Ladywantsahorse Horse Breeding 20 02-15-2010 01:27 PM
    What are the possibilities? smrobs Horse Breeding 9 06-11-2009 11:54 AM
    The Many Possibilities!(careers) Whipple Horse Talk 3 05-10-2009 12:59 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:38 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0