Do buckskins change colour? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Colors and Genetics

Do buckskins change colour?

This is a discussion on Do buckskins change colour? within the Horse Colors and Genetics forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Smokey black horse white hairs

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-13-2011, 09:57 AM
  #11
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by usandpets    
I'm not one to get that technical with the colors. I can kind of see the bucksin in the pic you posted, but to me that horse is still just a brown horse. A very nice looking (brown) horse.
Exactly A Smokey Black often just looks like a regular black (as the horse in the OPs Image dose) but they may have some fading or they may get slightly lighter with age.

Single Creme on darker colors is hard to notice without knowing both parents, or Gene Testing.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-13-2011, 10:04 AM
  #12
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyHorseArtist    
Exactly A Smokey Black often just looks like a regular black (as the horse in the OPs Image dose) but they may have some fading or they may get slightly lighter with age.

Single Creme on darker colors is hard to notice without knowing both parents, or Gene Testing.
Not to highjack the thread, but what's the difference between smokey black and black? Just that the black fades? Also what is single creme?
     
    05-13-2011, 10:11 AM
  #13
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by NdAppy    
In all honesty the horse in the ad looks black. Don't know her pedigree so not going to speculate if she could be smokey black or not, but gut feeling is that she is just plain old black.
ND sire is a cremello :)


Quote:
Not to highjack the thread, but what's the difference between smokey black and black? Just that the black fades? Also what is single creme?
Smoky black is a black horse with a single cream gene. One with two cream genes would be a smoky cream. It's the same as palomino and buckskin. Palomino is a chestnut with a single cream, cremello is a chestnut with double cream. Buckskin is bay with single cream, perlino with double cream :)
     
    05-13-2011, 10:20 AM
  #14
Trained
Ahh then yes smokey black for sure.
     
    05-13-2011, 10:24 AM
  #15
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiilaa    
Smoky black is a black horse with a single cream gene. One with two cream genes would be a smoky cream. It's the same as palomino and buckskin. Palomino is a chestnut with a single cream, cremello is a chestnut with double cream. Buckskin is bay with single cream, perlino with double cream :)
Way too confusing. I'm sticking with the basic colors
     
    05-13-2011, 10:31 AM
  #16
Yearling
It's entirely possible she is a smokey black, but it would be impossible to say for sure without having her tested. I don't think she has the silver dapple/chocolate gene, it typically lightens all black on the horse and her body is too dark with no light hairs visible in the mane. There is SOMETHING going on to giver her that light tail, I am not sure if the cream gene would do that though. We have a smoky black at the farm and while he has a few white hairs in his tail it's nothing like that, and he is a very unique iron gray color. He has been tested.
     
    05-13-2011, 10:37 AM
  #17
Trained
Jacksmama because her sire is cremello, he HAS to have passed a cream gene on. She definitely doesn't look palomino, or buckskin. So that leaves smoky brown and smoky black. She doesn't have any "rusting" at her flank, elbow or muzzle, so that rules out smoky brown.
     
    05-13-2011, 10:41 AM
  #18
Yearling
Lol, good point! It's early and I haven't had enough coffee:p What was mama?
     
    05-13-2011, 10:41 AM
  #19
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksmama    
It's entirely possible she is a smokey black, but it would be impossible to say for sure without having her tested. I don't think she has the silver dapple/chocolate gene, it typically lightens all black on the horse and her body is too dark with no light hairs visible in the mane. There is SOMETHING going on to giver her that light tail, I am not sure if the cream gene would do that though. We have a smoky black at the farm and while he has a few white hairs in his tail it's nothing like that, and he is a very unique iron gray color. He has been tested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyHorseArtist    
EDIT: searches for her mother bring up "BRYNMEILLION DION Black Filly." This is a Welsh Sale book Horse #212
The Sire is Cremello (eeCrCr), and the mother Black (Ee, or EE) then you would either get Smoky Black (EeCrc), or Palomino (eeCrc)
     
    05-13-2011, 10:42 AM
  #20
Weanling
I'm no expert on colors, but I think she's very pretty!
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Certain Colour Horse needs a Certain Colour Saddle? equestrian_rider465 Western Riding 16 02-17-2011 01:54 PM
Buckskins. smrobs Horse Pictures 14 07-14-2009 03:28 AM
Show off your Buckskins!! Hoofprints in the Sand Horse Breeds 31 01-08-2009 09:49 PM
Let's See Those Buckskins and Silver Dapples! Nomi Horse Pictures 21 08-06-2008 08:30 AM
Lets see your Buckskins and grullas :) Navaho08 Horse Pictures 11 05-18-2008 04:35 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0