A Few Color Questions - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 12-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 766
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksly View Post
Okay. Now I have another question. What are the 5 main coats of the Appaloosa? Appaloosas confuse me so much sometimes.
Like a person already suggested...google the breed associations website. They will have all the color info there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bridgertrot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 29 Old 12-15-2011, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,426
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgertrot View Post
Like a person already suggested...google the breed associations website. They will have all the color info there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, I looked on the Appaloosa Horse Club of Canada website and they had 7 different coat patterns listed.

"You know, for as long as I can remember, I've had memories." ~Colin Mochrie
Arksly is offline  
post #23 of 29 Old 12-15-2011, 01:36 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 766
• Horses: 0
If they show 7, then those are the seven kinds they accept.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bridgertrot is offline  
post #24 of 29 Old 12-15-2011, 02:43 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Surrey BC
Posts: 6,716
• Horses: 0
Hanovarian any solid color
Thoroughbred any solid color and gray as well

Country Woman

Country Woman is offline  
post #25 of 29 Old 12-15-2011, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,426
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgertrot View Post
If they show 7, then those are the seven kinds they accept.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm actually wondering for a course that I'm taking and one of the questions is basically what are the five main coat colors. I actually asked these questions for a reason apart from curiosity.

"You know, for as long as I can remember, I've had memories." ~Colin Mochrie
Arksly is offline  
post #26 of 29 Old 12-15-2011, 03:38 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 5,582
• Horses: 2
Because I suck at Appys, I googled and found this:
Blanket - refers to a horse which has a solid white area normally over, but not limited to, the hip area with a contrasting base color.
Spots (Leopard) - refers to a horse which has white or dark spots over all or a portion of its body.
Blanket With Spots - refers to a horse with a white blanket which has dark spots within the white. The spots are usually the same color as the horse's base color.
Varnish Roan - A horse exhibiting the Appaloosa roan pattern develops a lighter colored area on the forehead, jowls and frontal bones of the face, over the back, loin and hips. Darker areas may appear along the frontal bones of the face as well and also on the legs, stifle, above the eye, point of the hip and behind the elbow. Without an apparent Appaloosa blanket or spots, a horse with only the above-listed characteristics will also need mottled skin and one other characteristic to qualify for regular registration.
Varnish Roan Blanket - refers to a horse having the roan pattern consisting of a mixture of light and dark hairs, over a portion of the body. The blanket normally occurs over, but is not limited to, the hip area.
Varnish Roan Blanket With Spots - refers to a horse with a roan blanket which has white and/or dark spots within the roan area.
Poseidon is offline  
post #27 of 29 Old 12-15-2011, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,426
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
Because I suck at Appys, I googled and found this:
Blanket - refers to a horse which has a solid white area normally over, but not limited to, the hip area with a contrasting base color.
Spots (Leopard) - refers to a horse which has white or dark spots over all or a portion of its body.
Blanket With Spots - refers to a horse with a white blanket which has dark spots within the white. The spots are usually the same color as the horse's base color.
Varnish Roan - A horse exhibiting the Appaloosa roan pattern develops a lighter colored area on the forehead, jowls and frontal bones of the face, over the back, loin and hips. Darker areas may appear along the frontal bones of the face as well and also on the legs, stifle, above the eye, point of the hip and behind the elbow. Without an apparent Appaloosa blanket or spots, a horse with only the above-listed characteristics will also need mottled skin and one other characteristic to qualify for regular registration.
Varnish Roan Blanket - refers to a horse having the roan pattern consisting of a mixture of light and dark hairs, over a portion of the body. The blanket normally occurs over, but is not limited to, the hip area.
Varnish Roan Blanket With Spots - refers to a horse with a roan blanket which has white and/or dark spots within the roan area.

Thank you

"You know, for as long as I can remember, I've had memories." ~Colin Mochrie
Arksly is offline  
post #28 of 29 Old 12-15-2011, 04:30 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 5,153
• Horses: 0
I think the 'types' are a little broader than that if I recall correctly.

Snowflake - white spots on dark base.
Blanket - white starting from butt type area and spreading
Varnish - roaning

Then you can have these flavours, with or without spots. The blanket is also known as snowcap, and can extend to cover the entire horse. Spots are not erased by extending Lp caused white, but instead are revealed by it.
NdAppy and Poseidon like this.

Mods, grant me the serenity to see the opinions I cannot change, courage to change the ones that should change, and the wisdom to spot the trolls.
Chiilaa is offline  
post #29 of 29 Old 12-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 5,582
• Horses: 2
In short, Appaloosas are ridiculous.
NdAppy, Chiilaa and Randella like this.
Poseidon is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Few Color Questions Arksly Horse Colors and Genetics 2 10-20-2011 09:55 PM
Color questions... momo3boys Horse Colors and Genetics 4 05-11-2011 08:10 PM
Color Questions CritterCountry Horse Colors and Genetics 14 03-23-2011 09:03 PM
I have two color questions. mysticdragon72 Horse Colors and Genetics 30 01-05-2011 12:26 AM
color genetics questions AKPaintLover Horse Breeding 25 04-03-2009 05:33 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome