Foal coloring... - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Colors and Genetics

Foal coloring...

This is a discussion on Foal coloring... within the Horse Colors and Genetics forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Horse and foals colour pages
  • What color foals turn gray as they grow

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-18-2011, 08:35 AM
  #11
Weanling
Can you tell if a palomino is going to be dark or not by the shade of their coat when born?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-18-2011, 08:44 AM
  #12
Trained
Not as far as I know Velvet.
     
    04-18-2011, 08:51 AM
  #13
Trained
I do know that cherry red chestnuts are the preferred colour for breeding palominos. Other than that, I haven't looked at enough foal to adult comparisons :(
     
    04-18-2011, 12:43 PM
  #14
Foal
Grays can be born any color I believe (solid or pattern), and as they shed out each year they grow lighter! I was really excited / suprised when I saw Sasha's color when she was born, then my trainer/instructor/friend told me she would turn gray! Yeeppp!

Also, I believe to be classified as a gray, the horse has black skin and white hair. (They may have pink skin where there was white on them when they were born) Like Sasha's little white star has pink skin and the white on her back left foot, but the rest of her skin is black.

Sasha -few weeks old (her dad was a dark brown / white paint) (her mom is a flea-bitten gray *seen in picture)
Picture 268.jpg

Sasha -2 yrs old.
Mom's Camera 091.jpg

Sasha - 3 yrs old -- taken day before yesterday -her neck looks a little funny because of my angle and the way she was bending trying to nibble on the snap of the lead rope. You can see how she's lost pretty much all of the red out of her coat color. Also, you can see how white her face has turned.
Image04152011161407.jpg
She will eventually look like her mom Dandy (My avatar).
     
    04-18-2011, 12:55 PM
  #15
Trained
Shananigan, that's because gray is technically a "modifier", not its own colour. Every gray horse is another normal colour (ie, black, sorrel, bay, etc) genetically and are born that colour. Gray just takes over and masks that colour. And to be gray, the foal must have at least one gray parent.
     
    04-18-2011, 02:17 PM
  #16
Foal
Quote:
Shananigan, that's because gray is technically a "modifier", not its own colour. Every gray horse is another normal colour (ie, black, sorrel, bay, etc) genetically and are born that colour. Gray just takes over and masks that colour.
Ahhh! Okay! That's interesting, I hadn't heard that tid bit. Thank you!

Quote:
And to be gray, the foal must have at least one gray parent.
I did know that. And gray is the dominant gene isn't it? Like if a foal has at least one gray parent, it will most likely (though not always) turn gray?
     
    04-18-2011, 02:17 PM
  #17
Started
Foal to adult colors confuse me. Especially if you have a foal needing to be registered. How the heck do you know if the color you're marking on their registration papers is anything remotely close to what color they ACTUALLY are/will be? Ugh... can you tell i'm dealing with this problem currently? :P
     
    04-18-2011, 02:24 PM
  #18
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananigan    

I did know that. And gray is the dominant gene isn't it? Like if a foal has at least one gray parent, it will most likely (though not always) turn gray?
If the gray parent is homozygous gray, the foal will always be gray regardless of what the other parent is. It'll be born a different, regular colour, but it'll gray out. If the parent is heterozygous, then there's a 50% chance the foal with gray out and a 50% it will stay a normal colour.

Crimson, I'm pretty sure you can call the registry and have them change it if your colour is wrong. It might cost you a little bit, but I don't think it's much. Also, don't most foals get registered when they're a few months old? By then, you should have a good idea of what colour it is. I think my mare was registered as a 2-year old..
     
    04-18-2011, 05:35 PM
  #19
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon    
If the gray parent is homozygous gray, the foal will always be gray regardless of what the other parent is. It'll be born a different, regular colour, but it'll gray out. If the parent is heterozygous, then there's a 50% chance the foal with gray out and a 50% it will stay a normal colour.

Crimson, I'm pretty sure you can call the registry and have them change it if your colour is wrong. It might cost you a little bit, but I don't think it's much. Also, don't most foals get registered when they're a few months old? By then, you should have a good idea of what colour it is. I think my mare was registered as a 2-year old..
well... he'll be a year old next month and I have until then to register him before the price goes up. The breeder didn't register him so that I could pick his name. Of course the little bugger changes colors every month so who knows. His dad is a grulla and his mom is a buckskin but she looks like she's a "varnish" so idk. Ugh.
     
    04-18-2011, 06:14 PM
  #20
Trained
Koda? I would register him as brown going grey.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confused about coloring? TBrays3 Horse Colors and Genetics 7 12-06-2010 06:07 PM
Question about coloring :) Wildflower Horse Breeds 11 04-29-2010 03:25 PM
Coloring??????? PoptartShop Horse Breeds 13 01-13-2008 07:26 PM
coloring out?? KANSAS_TWISTER Horse Breeds 3 06-30-2007 06:03 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0