Genetic Testing, FRUSTRATING - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Colors and Genetics

Genetic Testing, FRUSTRATING

This is a discussion on Genetic Testing, FRUSTRATING within the Horse Colors and Genetics forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree22Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        02-21-2014, 10:33 AM
      #11
    Weanling
    Why would it matter who owns the results, they are on file for the horse tested what more do you need you know the results. I have had all of my breeding stock tested thru AQHA and UC Davis I have never had one issue with either company. At least the AQHA is taking a stance to control these genetic diseases unlike the other 2 stock horse registries that are actually encouraging people to breed those hypp horses...
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        02-21-2014, 07:27 PM
      #12
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuvMyPerlinoQH    
    At least the AQHA is taking a stance to control these genetic diseases unlike the other 2 stock horse registries that are actually encouraging people to breed those hypp horses...
    If the AQHA (or any other stock registry) wanted to "control" HYPP, they could eradicate it in a single generation: simply do not breed ANY horse with the gene.

    I, however, am not going to hold my breath over that happening any time soon. It's all about the money, not what is in the best interest of the breed.
    Chasin Ponies likes this.
         
        02-21-2014, 08:07 PM
      #13
    Green Broke
    Why does it matter who owns the results? Because you pay the fee, why shouldn't you own it?
    FGRanch and NdAppy like this.
         
        02-21-2014, 08:15 PM
      #14
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuvMyPerlinoQH    
    Why would it matter who owns the results, they are on file for the horse tested what more do you need you know the results. I have had all of my breeding stock tested thru AQHA and UC Davis I have never had one issue with either company. At least the AQHA is taking a stance to control these genetic diseases unlike the other 2 stock horse registries that are actually encouraging people to breed those hypp horses...
    This is by FAR not my only issue with AQHA and UC Davis. I could handle then "owning" my horses DNA, however I will not tolerate the 2-6 month wait for testing. When I want to buy I horse, I do not want to wait that long for results.

    And regardless I own that horse so I own their DNA, AQHA should have no ownership to their DNA or their DNA results.
    NdAppy and Chasin Ponies like this.
         
        02-22-2014, 12:10 AM
      #15
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FGRanch    
    This is by FAR not my only issue with AQHA and UC Davis. I could handle then "owning" my horses DNA, however I will not tolerate the 2-6 month wait for testing. When I want to buy I horse, I do not want to wait that long for results.

    And regardless I own that horse so I own their DNA, AQHA should have no ownership to their DNA or their DNA results.
    Second part is the biggest reason.
         
        02-22-2014, 10:54 AM
      #16
    Green Broke
    I used UC Davis for HYPP testing, and I didn't have any issues.

    I'm sure AQHA requires you go through them to ensure quality and authenticity of testing... But I could see how that would be frustrating. Plus, they could easily do a little investigating into other labs, to see if they are legit too.
         
        02-22-2014, 11:08 AM
      #17
    Trained
    I read the Handbook the other day when you first posted. I read the rule that talks about the testing that needs to be done for stallions and when. I looked specifically for where it says you MUST do the testing through UC Davis, and I could not find it anywhere. I'm going to send my results from Animal Genetics in and not say anything, and see what they say. I specifically did my testing with Animal Genetics because I have a SERIOUS objection to anyone but the HORSE OWNER owning lab results.
         
        02-22-2014, 12:32 PM
      #18
    Trained
    DA please, please let us know what they say/don't say!
         
        02-22-2014, 01:22 PM
      #19
    Trained
    I just went through Animal Genetics for a red base test. Sent it in the mail on Saturday...results were emailed to me Friday. It didn't even take a full week...

    2-6 months is insane. All I can think of is UC Davis is making money through AQHA. Afterall...isn't that what it comes down to in the end? Money...
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Chasin Ponies likes this.
         
        02-23-2014, 12:19 PM
      #20
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians    
    I read the Handbook the other day when you first posted. I read the rule that talks about the testing that needs to be done for stallions and when. I looked specifically for where it says you MUST do the testing through UC Davis, and I could not find it anywhere. I'm going to send my results from Animal Genetics in and not say anything, and see what they say. I specifically did my testing with Animal Genetics because I have a SERIOUS objection to anyone but the HORSE OWNER owning lab results.
    Good luck.

    I tested both my 3 yr old stallion and 2 yr old stallion through AG simply because they are the better lab in my opinion. I sent the results to AQHA. The head of the DNA department called me personally and said they would not accept AG results and I had to retest through UC Davis. I will not test UC Davis until I have to. They are not breeding yet and until they do I will use AG.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Genetic testing to determine breed? ARTEMISBLOSSOM Horse Colors and Genetics 6 09-28-2013 06:06 PM
    Genetic Testing 5 panel LuvMyPerlinoQH Horse Colors and Genetics 9 01-05-2013 11:18 PM
    AQHA now offers Genetic testing. Good on them. franknbeans Horse Colors and Genetics 9 02-06-2012 08:25 PM
    Genetic Disease - would you? MacabreMikolaj Horse Breeding 42 07-31-2011 08:27 PM
    Is fence testing genetic? Snowkicker Horse Colors and Genetics 4 04-07-2011 10:30 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:16 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0