Just for fun -- What color do YOU think the foal will be?? - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Colors and Genetics

Just for fun -- What color do YOU think the foal will be??

This is a discussion on Just for fun -- What color do YOU think the foal will be?? within the Horse Colors and Genetics forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Foals

Like Tree16Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-23-2013, 12:37 AM
  #11
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayella    
And I would say just from that one picture it looks as if the stud does have frame. Do you have better pictures of the two of them where we can see all their markings?

The sire looks a lot like my boy's sire. Henny's sire was a black tobiano and his dam was a perlino. I ended up with the cutest brownskin paint baby ever, but I think I'm a little partial. ;) This is my goof last weekend just to give you a reference what I got out of a black tobiano and a double dilute mare.
Oh my, what a cutie!! I bet he's a trip, what a face ;) This may sound silly, but I actually had a dream that the foal was born and he looked similar to your little guy! I'd crack up if he/she really does :)
I will post more pics in a sec! I have plenty!
Kayella likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-23-2013, 12:42 AM
  #12
Green Broke
Thanks, he's my baby. :)

As far as his foals, maybe he's never been crossed with another frame carrier? Or if he has, maybe those foals were the lucky 75% that were not homozygous lethal. You can't take just him into account, you have to consider both sire and dam together. It's not just one copy of the gene being passed on, one copy of the gene HAS to be passed on from both parents to be lethal so both parents must be carriers.
     
    02-23-2013, 12:51 AM
  #13
Foal
More pics!
Snazz
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...33565392_n.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r..._1025758_o.jpg


Blondie
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...76730331_n.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...52461613_n.jpg

Blondie is much much bigger now of course, I don't have any good recent pics of her though!
     
    02-23-2013, 01:28 AM
  #14
Foal
Both beautiful horses I vote for smokey black Tovero. I don't know if any one else noticed and I don't want to sound rude but in some of your pictures there bob wire for the fencing you don't want that around especially with a little colt or filly that will be running around.
Army wife likes this.
     
    02-23-2013, 01:35 AM
  #15
Green Broke
Tovero is an outdated term that shouldn't be used anymore, even if the registries are. It's also barb wire, for future reference.

Do you see how the white is spreading across his body horizontally? That is usually a sign of frame. The white is literally framed by color on the body. Do you also see how your mare's white spreads out above her eyes? Frame also has a tendency to do that. I'm not saying they both have frame because neither of them could. But it LOOKS as if they may carry it, which can be cause for concern. Try and contact the stud owners to see if he's been tested. If he's been bred so extensively for almost a decade I would sure hope he has been tested for any genetic disorders.
     
    02-23-2013, 01:42 AM
  #16
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayella    
Tovero is an outdated term that shouldn't be used anymore, even if the registries are. It's also barb wire, for future reference.

Do you see how the white is spreading across his body horizontally? That is usually a sign of frame. The white is literally framed by color on the body. Do you also see how your mare's white spreads out above her eyes? Frame also has a tendency to do that. I'm not saying they both have frame because neither of them could. But it LOOKS as if they may carry it, which can be cause for concern. Try and contact the stud owners to see if he's been tested. If he's been bred so extensively for almost a decade I would sure hope he has been tested for any genetic disorders.

Wow Kayella I was just guessing on a color other people said TOVERO and im not in the breeding circuit and don't know the "new terms". Also I meant to put "barb wire" but I am typing on my phone and it auto spells out words sometimes so chill.
     
    02-23-2013, 01:54 AM
  #17
Green Broke
Sorry if you read any hostility in that post as there was none. You don't have to be in the breeding circuit, as I'm not either. You can gain a lot of knowledge just reading through the Color and genetics forum which is exactly how I learned what I know about color/genetics. It's really interesting and exciting to look at a horse and see its phenotypic expressions. You can't guess hetero/homozygousity on base colors or patterns, but you can see what they carry at least one gene of which I find neat. You'll also find that most of the color gurus are blunt about what is and what isn't. If you thought what I typed was harsh, you'd read a lot more hostility in what they post. It's a hot topic and some people are really set in their ways. When it comes to breeding, the phenotypic expressions of a horse can indicate if they carry a genetic disorder which everyone is so adament about education anyone on. It may come across as harsh sometimes, but some people need that as a wake up call. :)
     
    02-23-2013, 02:01 AM
  #18
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyVee    
Hahahah silly me, always typing too fast... sorry about that :) I MEANT to say he tested 99.9% positive for the homozygous gene, so he's definitely homozygous!
A horse is either homozygous or it's not. There is no 99.9% about it. Homozygous means they have two copies of one gene.

I am also guessing neither horses were tested for any other genetic diseases... What are the pedigrees of the two horses?
Kayella likes this.
     
    02-23-2013, 02:05 AM
  #19
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhorselover    
I don't know if any one else noticed and I don't want to sound rude but in some of your pictures there bob wire for the fencing you don't want that around especially with a little colt or filly that will be running around.
We are in the process of rebuilding our fence :) We had a horse who tore right through it. No injuries whatsoever, but enough to damage the fence pretty badly. In the picture I posted of Snazz in front of the corral panels is where most of the damage is, that's why the wire looks distorted. The baby will not be in that pasture though :)
     
    02-23-2013, 02:11 AM
  #20
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by NdAppy    
A horse is either homozygous or it's not. There is no 99.9% about it. Homozygous means they have two copies of one gene.

I am also guessing neither horses were tested for any other genetic diseases... What are the pedigrees of the two horses?
Just repeating what I was told. Snazz is registered with the APHA (waiting on the papers to get signed over to me by the owner before the previous owner, but I've seen the papers and looked over them and whatnot). Blondie's previous owner says she doesn't know if she has papers, if she does, she doesn't know who has them. I personally have not had them tested for genetic issues but I feel that I would have been notified if there was something wrong with either of them.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Normal Stool In One Day Old Foal?? AND Foal Color Chelley Horse Health 8 05-20-2012 12:37 AM
Foal Color, help me guess what color he'll shed out.. frogtree Horse Breeding 11 04-25-2012 10:29 PM
*Foal did not make it* - Foal due soon! Color/sex guesses? Poco1220 Horse Breeding 185 07-28-2011 07:16 PM
Foal Color whinruss Horse Breeding 21 12-21-2007 12:39 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0