Looking For Pics - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 01-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 5,153
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians View Post
Ok, let me see if I've got this straight. Brown and Agouti are variations of the same modifier, but Brown doesn't restrict black to the points, and 'fades' the soft points? So, would a "brown" horse be able to throw a true buckskin with a cremello? It doesn't sound like it, more like you'd get the sooty variations? Is that correct?
Agouti is the name of the allele - the "a" locus if you will. Brown, bay and wild bay are all mutations of agouti - mutations at the "a" locus.

Brown can often restrict black in ways that make it mimic bay. This shows a few of the variations of brown that are "normal" for brown. Bear in mind, this picture is fairly old, and since then lots of other horses have been tested positive too. It's just really hard to google "tested brown horse" and get any sort of meaningful results lol.


Mods, grant me the serenity to see the opinions I cannot change, courage to change the ones that should change, and the wisdom to spot the trolls.
Chiilaa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 26 Old 01-03-2013, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 9,946
• Horses: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiilaa View Post
Agouti is the name of the allele - the "a" locus if you will. Brown, bay and wild bay are all mutations of agouti - mutations at the "a" locus.

Brown can often restrict black in ways that make it mimic bay. This shows a few of the variations of brown that are "normal" for brown.
OK, so I guess what I'm getting at, bottom line: Do I want a brown mare to breed to a cremello stallion to produce a buckskin foal or should I stick with a strictly bay EE/AA mare to get what I want? Conformation/Pedigree/Temper all being equal.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is online now  
post #13 of 26 Old 01-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 5,153
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians View Post
OK, so I guess what I'm getting at, bottom line: Do I want a brown mare to breed to a cremello stallion to produce a buckskin foal or should I stick with a strictly bay EE/AA mare to get what I want? Conformation/Pedigree/Temper all being equal.
That depends on the results of the cremello stallion's agouti status. If he is AA, then a brown mare's AtAt won't matter, as A is dominant over At (well that is the theory anyway). If he is Aa or aa, then you could get a brown based buckskin instead. Definitely a delicious option (not that I am biased, it's not like it's my favourite colour or anything *whistles*).

smrobs, doubleopi and Nokotaheaven like this.

Mods, grant me the serenity to see the opinions I cannot change, courage to change the ones that should change, and the wisdom to spot the trolls.
Chiilaa is offline  
post #14 of 26 Old 01-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 808
• Horses: 2
I had a thread asking about Drifter that led to me getting a DNA test from Pet DNA because everyone was so on the fence about him. According to the $60 test offered on their site .. Drifter is AAt which from my understanding means he is a bay carrying the brown gene. It was all really confusing to me, but fascinating none the less.

Here is a picture of him! As you can see his muzzle went light this winter for the first time (which is the reason I questions if he was truly bay). There is no other lighter portion on his body.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 75323_10152372141160058_1226607766_n.jpg (58.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 537395_10152372140510058_2101070841_n.jpg (33.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 154452_10152306846375058_309255281_n.jpg (82.6 KB, 51 views)
DriftingShadow is offline  
post #15 of 26 Old 01-04-2013, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 9,946
• Horses: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiilaa View Post
That depends on the results of the cremello stallion's agouti status. If he is AA, then a brown mare's AtAt won't matter, as A is dominant over At (well that is the theory anyway). If he is Aa or aa, then you could get a brown based buckskin instead. Definitely a delicious option (not that I am biased, it's not like it's my favourite colour or anything *whistles*).

That's a nice lookin' pony, Chili! I wouldn't object to one that looked like that. I'm sending off the stallion's tail hair in about a week or so, going to get a full color profile on him to find out what he's carrying for sure. Then I'll know.

Right now, I'm just looking at mares to breed to him, looking for the right temper, right confo, right pedigree to compliment him, AND get a pretty colored horse into the bargain. I was asking about the brown because Arabians don't recognize brown as a color and the Animal Genetics site doesn't mention the At stuff at all. I'll look to a different lab for that test on any brown/bay mares, I guess.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is online now  
post #16 of 26 Old 01-04-2013, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 9,946
• Horses: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftingShadow View Post
I had a thread asking about Drifter that led to me getting a DNA test from Pet DNA because everyone was so on the fence about him. According to the $60 test offered on their site .. Drifter is AAt which from my understanding means he is a bay carrying the brown gene. It was all really confusing to me, but fascinating none the less.

Here is a picture of him! As you can see his muzzle went light this winter for the first time (which is the reason I questions if he was truly bay). There is no other lighter portion on his body.
Can you give me a link to the lab you used?

Dreamcatcher Arabians is online now  
post #17 of 26 Old 01-04-2013, 12:47 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 808
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians View Post
Can you give me a link to the lab you used?
here you are!

Pet DNA Testing Lab

They were recommended to me by Verona in the thread I had started. I opted for the $60 comprehensive DNA test. Hope it helps!
DriftingShadow is offline  
post #18 of 26 Old 01-04-2013, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 9,946
• Horses: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftingShadow View Post
here you are!

Pet DNA Testing Lab

They were recommended to me by Verona in the thread I had started. I opted for the $60 comprehensive DNA test. Hope it helps!
Thanks! I've printed out the sample card so when I find that 'right' mare, I'll be able to check for At. I haven't found another lab that does that test.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is online now  
post #19 of 26 Old 01-04-2013, 02:50 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 5,153
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians View Post
Thanks! I've printed out the sample card so when I find that 'right' mare, I'll be able to check for At. I haven't found another lab that does that test.
Pet DNA is the only lab that offers it.

Mods, grant me the serenity to see the opinions I cannot change, courage to change the ones that should change, and the wisdom to spot the trolls.
Chiilaa is offline  
post #20 of 26 Old 01-04-2013, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 9,946
• Horses: 11
Thanks for the info everyone. This will help in my search for the "perfect" mare!

Dreamcatcher Arabians is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's That? MORE Juno Pics?! -WARNING- TONS of pics!! AnnaLover Horse Pictures 17 07-06-2011 06:42 PM
Rescue horse Very in foal **DUSTY HAD HER FILLY** PICS PICS PICS !!! sssmith Horse Breeding 94 05-27-2011 09:41 PM
Shea pics 15/6/09 (Lots of pics) RedHawk Horse Pictures 7 06-15-2009 08:39 PM
new pics of dallie AKA sweet pea... Tons of pics Dvine Horse Pictures 10 09-15-2008 10:45 PM
*I am new* please critique pics! WARNING TONS of pics! ♥Rumor&#982 Horse Riding Critique 2 05-24-2008 07:04 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome