mule genetics?? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Colors and Genetics

mule genetics??

This is a discussion on mule genetics?? within the Horse Colors and Genetics forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree10Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-03-2013, 12:19 PM
      #11
    Weanling
    I'm sort of confused, I've read a couple sites now that say that mules cannot be overo... but that baby sure looks overo to me regardless of whether or not she roaned out.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-03-2013, 08:54 PM
      #12
    Yearling
    She's not overo, she's spotted, she got her color from her spotted sire. Donkey spotting is different then overo.
         
        04-06-2013, 01:31 AM
      #13
    Yearling
    Here is a spotted mule that should stay spotted!
    Loud paint molly mule
    toto likes this.
         
        04-08-2013, 05:50 PM
      #14
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haviris    
    Here is a spotted mule that should stay spotted!
    Loud paint molly mule
    I LOVE this mule!

    I didn't know mules lost their spots-- with the sorrel spotted baby being an exception.. I've seen some beautifuly spotted up mules-- but I love the appaloosa spotted mules.. are they still 'spotted'? Or would an appy mule be just that-- an appy mule?

    ..i know, silly questioning-- I'm dead serious though, I promise.
         
        04-08-2013, 09:20 PM
      #15
    Trained
    It is interesting that the color genetics experts have not chimed in about mule colors yet.
         
        04-08-2013, 09:23 PM
      #16
    Yearling
    In reference to genetics....

    Is it true Mules can't reproduce??
         
        04-08-2013, 09:27 PM
      #17
    Trained
    Yes, it is true. They are infertile hybrids because the donkey and the horse have different chromosome numbers. A male mule needs to be gelded. A mare mule can carry a foal that is implanted in her embryo; she just can't conceive her own foal.
         
        04-08-2013, 09:33 PM
      #18
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celeste    
    Yes, it is true. They are infertile hybrids because the donkey and the horse have different chromosome numbers. A male mule needs to be gelded. A mare mule can carry a foal that is implanted in her embryo; she just can't conceive her own foal.
    Theyre not always infertile-- its uncommon but they can be fertile. .. im wonderin if the fertile mules offspring would be fertile too if bred back to a jack or jenny?
         
        04-08-2013, 09:36 PM
      #19
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toto    
    Theyre not always infertile-- its uncommon but they can be fertile. .. im wonderin if the fertile mules offspring would be fertile too if bred back to a jack or jenny?

    A fertile mule is an extremely rare thing. It is not the normal.
    toto likes this.
         
        04-08-2013, 09:50 PM
      #20
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celeste    
    A fertile mule is an extremely rare thing. It is not the normal.

    Aint it cool though? Someone could breed it back to a horse and it would be 1/4 donk.

    ..i think? 1/4 right?
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Getting a mule? HagonNag Other Equines 17 08-21-2013 01:29 PM
    Old mule SMMJessee Horse Health 21 11-15-2012 01:28 AM
    Mule? filly20 Horse Breeding 20 07-15-2012 03:52 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:07 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0