Is my Horse a Blue Roan or Grey? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Colors and Genetics

Is my Horse a Blue Roan or Grey?

This is a discussion on Is my Horse a Blue Roan or Grey? within the Horse Colors and Genetics forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Blue roan or grey 2 year old
  • At what age will you know if a horse is blue roan or grey

Like Tree26Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-09-2014, 11:38 PM
  #11
Showing
How old is this horse? If she's older than 5, then gray would have definitely made an obvious appearance by this point.

I agree with the concensus that she's either classic roan or expressing sabino roan or maybe a combination of both. The only way to say for certain which it was would be to have her color tested. But, if you don't want to bother with that, you can just call her a blue roan and you would be technically correct.

She's a pretty girl.
Aesthetic and MaryLoouise like this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-10-2014, 01:22 AM
  #12
Weanling
I agree with the sabino and/or rabicano theories.
MaryLoouise likes this.
     
    04-10-2014, 12:11 PM
  #13
Weanling
She looks a lot like Coronado's dam who is a smoky black sabino with no roan:



That's not to say your mare couldn't be roan as well, but sabino is DEFINITELY present.
MaryLoouise likes this.
     
    04-10-2014, 12:38 PM
  #14
Foal
Thanks for all the replies! The old owners didn't know a lot about horses the only thing they knew was she was a mustang pony mix if that helps any
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-10-2014, 12:53 PM
  #15
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs    
How old is this horse? If she's older than 5, then gray would have definitely made an obvious appearance by this point.

I agree with the concensus that she's either classic roan or expressing sabino roan or maybe a combination of both. The only way to say for certain which it was would be to have her color tested. But, if you don't want to bother with that, you can just call her a blue roan and you would be technically correct.

She's a pretty girl.
Thank you!! She is 6 years old, I'm not too filmilar with greys so I don't know how to tell, is there certain areas that lighten with age?
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-10-2014, 12:55 PM
  #16
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakiya    
She looks a lot like Coronado's dam who is a smoky black sabino with no roan:



That's not to say your mare couldn't be roan as well, but sabino is DEFINITELY present.
I would say that is her coloring, she does sometimes have the hues of brown in her coat and tail. I've never heard of a black sabino before thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-10-2014, 12:58 PM
  #17
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoySi    
I would say roan because of her darker head and legs but I really have no idea lol. Experts will chime in soon I'm sure.

Whatever she is she is ridiculously cute!
Thank you for the input! I'm glad so many people replied!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-10-2014, 01:02 PM
  #18
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLoouise    
Thank you!! She is 6 years old, I'm not too filmilar with greys so I don't know how to tell, is there certain areas that lighten with age?
Posted via Mobile Device
Look at the face of this horse. It shows what I was talking about - the head is usually one of the first part of the body to show grey. You can also see the silvery colour at the bottom of the tail, another significant sign of grey. Interestingly, this horse is also showing the beginning of a "fake" sock, which many greys show.

smrobs and MaryLoouise like this.
     
    04-10-2014, 01:53 PM
  #19
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilruffian    
Does she by chance have Clydesdale in her?
The previous owner told me she was a mustang pony mix, but they didn't have a lot of knowledge of horses and they told me she was given to them by a friend so she could be anything.
     
    04-10-2014, 01:56 PM
  #20
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiilaa    
Look at the face of this horse. It shows what I was talking about - the head is usually one of the first part of the body to show grey. You can also see the silvery colour at the bottom of the tail, another significant sign of grey. Interestingly, this horse is also showing the beginning of a "fake" sock, which many greys show.

If that's so then I do agree with you, she must be a sabino or something. Her face marking hasn't gotten any lighter around the edges in the past two years, atl least not noticeably. Thank you for the help!
Chiilaa likes this.
     

Tags
blue roan, coat, color help, grey horse, horse

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just for Fun - Blue Roan or Brown Roan? Glynnis Horse Colors and Genetics 24 10-16-2013 12:55 AM
Blue Roan or Grey? .Delete. Horse Colors and Genetics 26 09-10-2013 10:32 PM
Wht color grulla roan or blue roan??? happytrailstoyou Horse Colors and Genetics 36 03-28-2013 11:11 PM
Is this filly blue roan or silver or grey cmarie Horse Colors and Genetics 16 03-28-2013 11:29 AM
Blue roan or grey? MacabreMikolaj Horse Colors and Genetics 30 08-24-2012 09:44 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0