is it normal for a bay to have a dorsal stripe? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Colors and Genetics

is it normal for a bay to have a dorsal stripe?

This is a discussion on is it normal for a bay to have a dorsal stripe? within the Horse Colors and Genetics forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-16-2011, 01:49 PM
      #11
    Weanling
    Here is the only other pictures I could find. (Don't have as many pictures of him, he's husbands horse.)

         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        11-16-2011, 01:54 PM
      #12
    Trained
    Dun/Dorsal stripe. Not countershading on you husband's horse Idle.
         
        11-16-2011, 01:55 PM
      #13
    Weanling
    Counter shading is a very interesting thing. I hadn't heard of it till now.
         
        11-16-2011, 01:55 PM
      #14
    Foal
    Agreed...i see more of what I thought I was seeing in the first photo.
         
        11-16-2011, 01:56 PM
      #15
    Weanling
    So, in order to be papered buckskin assoc, does counter shading count on the dun stripe? (hope that makes sense.)
         
        11-16-2011, 06:52 PM
      #16
    Yearling
    My QH has one, he's a bay.
         
        11-16-2011, 09:02 PM
      #17
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Idlepastures    
    So, in order to be papered buckskin assoc, does counter shading count on the dun stripe? (hope that makes sense.)
    If the horse doesn't have any other dun markings (like leg barring or shoulder barring), then it would just be a buckskin with a dorsal stripe caused by countershading. In order to be a dun, it must have other markings too. Is that what you're asking?
         
        11-17-2011, 04:32 AM
      #18
    Weanling
    My chestnut tb mare has counter-shading I believe haha
         
        11-17-2011, 09:47 PM
      #19
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Poseidon    
    If the horse doesn't have any other dun markings (like leg barring or shoulder barring), then it would just be a buckskin with a dorsal stripe caused by countershading. In order to be a dun, it must have other markings too. Is that what you're asking?
    Sort of. That part I know. But in order to be registered in the color association, does counter shading count? Like if your dun has the prim markings, but the dorsal stripe is counter shading, does it count? Does that even happen?
         
        11-17-2011, 10:03 PM
      #20
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Idlepastures    
    Sort of. That part I know. But in order to be registered in the color association, does counter shading count? Like if your dun has the prim markings, but the dorsal stripe is counter shading, does it count? Does that even happen?
    A dun will always have a dorsal stripe, not countershading. That registry is for duns and buckskins, so buckskin is the only one of the acceptable colors that may or may not have a dorsal stripe (though if it were just a buckskin, not a dunskin, it would only be countershading).

    Sorry. This is weird for me to try to put into words. It makes sense in my head.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Grey dorsal stripe. MangoRoX87 Horse Colors and Genetics 5 08-15-2011 11:03 AM
    White dorsal stripe? crimson88 Horse Breeding 6 12-29-2009 01:04 PM
    Bay with faint dorsal stripe? APHA MOMMA Horse Talk 9 09-07-2009 01:47 PM
    Dorsal Stripe on a Black Horse? Skippy! Horse Breeds 32 03-10-2009 05:21 PM
    Spotted dorsal stripe Cow Pie Girls Horse Breeds 5 07-26-2008 11:11 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:11 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0