Pintaloosa: Can anybody help with her color?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Colors and Genetics

Pintaloosa: Can anybody help with her color?

This is a discussion on Pintaloosa: Can anybody help with her color? within the Horse Colors and Genetics forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Pintaloosa horse colours pics
  • Pintaloosa colors

Like Tree7Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-29-2012, 09:11 PM
  #1
Banned
Pintaloosa: Can anybody help with her color?

I am sooo hopeless when it comes to colors anything past basic Most of my friends are stumped, and so I have decided to turn to the good sirs and ladies of horseforum to see if anyone can help conjure up an answer.

I have no clue as too who Scribble's parents are, she is a product of someone throwing a random mare and stallion together with nothing being kept track of, all I know is she has some strong Appy in her.

So, does anyone have a good guess as to what her base color is? Also, I'm pretty sure her pinto pattern is Tobino, but someone PLEASE correct me if I am wrong on that! Still trying to learn.











*Yes, she is very thin and needs work. I just brought her home 3 weeks ago and it's a working progress.
Boo Walker likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-29-2012, 09:17 PM
  #2
Foal
I'd call her a gray pinto if it were me. But I'm no good at the patterns either. Thin???? She looks pretty good to me. But I've been dealing with some rescues this last year and they were super skinny....as in body condition 1 or 2.
     
    08-29-2012, 09:19 PM
  #3
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by kccjer    
I'd call her a gray pinto if it were me. But I'm no good at the patterns either. Thin???? She looks pretty good to me. But I've been dealing with some rescues this last year and they were super skinny....as in body condition 1 or 2.
I tried to keep the skinny pictures out, these are more recent ones. She is very good at hiding her weight, but you can still see her ribs up close >.< And yes, I've gotten a few votes on grey, so far it's the only lead I really have Hoping for more answers!
     
    08-29-2012, 09:27 PM
  #4
Trained
I don't think gray. It's varnish, which is an Appy trait that works similarly to gray. The best guess I'm going to make for her base color is bay or chestnut. But either of those could easily be wrong due to the way Appaloosa genes affect base colors.
Faceman and Chiilaa like this.
     
    08-29-2012, 09:33 PM
  #5
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon    
I don't think gray. It's varnish, which is an Appy trait that works similarly to gray. The best guess I'm going to make for her base color is bay or chestnut. But either of those could easily be wrong due to the way Appaloosa genes affect base colors.
I looked up varnish Appaloosa's, and I agree that does look pretty similar and was an idea I had toddled with a bit but wasn't sure enough to voice it. Thank you very much for your input.
     
    08-29-2012, 09:41 PM
  #6
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tianimalz    
I looked up varnish Appaloosa's, and I agree that does look pretty similar and was an idea I had toddled with a bit but wasn't sure enough to voice it. Thank you very much for your input.
Varnish works similarly to gray in that it wants to fleck a horse until it's white. However, gray is predictable in the way it acts. Varnish does whatever it wants. I board with a 12 year old Appy mare who is finally starting to show varnish this year whereas some show varnish really young and continue to get lighter.
     
    08-29-2012, 09:43 PM
  #7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon    
Varnish works similarly to gray in that it wants to fleck a horse until it's white. However, gray is predictable in the way it acts. Varnish does whatever it wants. I board with a 12 year old Appy mare who is finally starting to show varnish this year whereas some show varnish really young and continue to get lighter.
This mare is very young, between 3-4, so then is it possible she'll "varnish" out into a "white" horse? I've never seen a Pintaloosa with varnish before, so this is very new to me.
     
    08-29-2012, 09:46 PM
  #8
Trained
I knew a lady who had a black Appy gelding with a blanket. He was born black, but he's like 21 now and is solid white.

This is a progression of NdAppy's mare Phoenix:
     
    08-29-2012, 09:48 PM
  #9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon    
I knew a lady who had a black Appy gelding with a blanket. He was born black, but he's like 21 now and is solid white.

This is a progression of NdAppy's mare Phoenix:
Oh wow, well I wasn't really expecting to end up with a possible white-ish horse. I guess that's what I get for telling everyone I'd never be caught with one because they're so hard to clean Silly me and my curses.

Thank you sooo much, I'm off to google the crap out of this now, thank you for a solid starting point :)
     
    09-01-2012, 11:55 AM
  #10
Yearling
Bwahaha. Told you varnish!
Tianimalz and Evansk like this.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Palomino Pintaloosa? Tremor Horse Colors and Genetics 28 10-09-2011 08:17 PM
The pintaloosa thread! twogeldings Horse Breeds 15 05-20-2010 02:13 PM
My new pintaloosa help me!!! sweetypiebstr Horse Training 13 08-28-2009 12:03 AM
"PintaLoosa" BluMagic Horse Breeds 26 10-24-2008 10:04 PM
Flashy Pintaloosa Mare! DREAM HORSE! CHEAP! Small_Town_Girl Tack and Equipment Classifieds 6 10-04-2008 10:38 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0