Pinto Colouring Probability? - The Horse Forum
 11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 11-03-2012, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,938
• Horses: 2
Pinto Colouring Probability?

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have a mare that I am planning on breeding. I'm wondering if anyone is knowledgeable in how exactly the genetics on this one would work? My horse Lilly's sire was a Bay Tovero, (heterozygous for Bay, not sure about the Tovero part) and her Dam a Sorrel Anglo-Arab. Lilly ended up being a solid bay. The stallion I am breeding her to in the Spring is a black tobiano, heterozygous for both black and tobiano. Does anyone know what my odds would be of getting Paint colour? Does it matter that she carries the paint genes? Or would her being solid discredit that? I've read about so many different factors, my head is spinning, so any insight would be appreciated.
Glynnis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 Old 11-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 5,153
• Horses: 0
Any chance you could post a picture of your mare so we can see what she has going on?

If you really want to know exactly what she has, you can have her tested for what genes she carries. UC Davis does testing.

Mods, grant me the serenity to see the opinions I cannot change, courage to change the ones that should change, and the wisdom to spot the trolls.
Chiilaa is offline  
post #3 of 32 Old 11-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 504
• Horses: 0
Your probably going to get a lot of comments that are going to hurt your feelings on this subject.
Not every horse should be bred. Is your horse's conformation, temperment etc so good that you are going to be adding to the breed. There are so many unwanted horses in the world, why add another.
MelissaAnn likes this.
chandra1313 is offline  
post #4 of 32 Old 11-03-2012, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,938
• Horses: 2
Here are some pictures. I realize she is incredibly fat here... She really didn't inherit any type of pinto/paint colouring whatsoever. Aside from having a spot on her lower lip, she is pretty much a clone of her mom for markings.

Lilly5.jpg

Lilly.jpg

LillyLip.jpg
Glynnis is offline  
post #5 of 32 Old 11-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 5,153
• Horses: 0
Pinto patterns can be very mysterious A "solid" horse with "normal" white markings still has at least one pinto pattern, as every bit of white is caused by one of them (except scarring, but that's different lol). I can see that your mare has at least two - sabino and splash. Sabino because of the lip spot, and the way the face white is so even, splash because of how even the white on her legs is.

I would definitely test her for frame, also known as lethal white overo. Her test results in that would greatly influence what stallions you could breed her to. If she does carry frame, then you would not want to breed her to a stallion that also carries frame, as they have a 25% chance of producing a lethal white foal, which will die within about 72 hours of birth.
MelissaAnn likes this.

Mods, grant me the serenity to see the opinions I cannot change, courage to change the ones that should change, and the wisdom to spot the trolls.
Chiilaa is offline  
post #6 of 32 Old 11-03-2012, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,938
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandra1313 View Post
Your probably going to get a lot of comments that are going to hurt your feelings on this subject.
Not every horse should be bred. Is your horse's conformation, temperment etc so good that you are going to be adding to the breed. There are so many unwanted horses in the world, why add another.
I'm not really sure what to make of your comment as I don't know what you mean by "adding to the breed." Lilly does have a few conformation faults, however, she has an extremely sweet temperament and is very intelligent. The stallion to whom I've chosen to breed her has excellent conformation and disposition and was highpoint sr stock stallion, highpoint tobiano color horse and supreme colour champion in the 2005 Canadian Pinto National Show. Perhaps I should have clarified that I am not looking only for colour. If I get another solid foal, it will be just as wanted and loved as the one I currently have.
Nokotaheaven likes this.

Last edited by Glynnis; 11-03-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Glynnis is offline  
post #7 of 32 Old 11-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,504
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynnis View Post
I'm not really sure what to make of your comment as I don't know what you mean by "adding to the breed." Lilly does have a few conformation faults, however, she has an extremely sweet temperament and is very intelligent. The stallion to whom I've chosen to breed her has excellent conformation and disposition and was highpoint sr stock stallion, highpoint tobiano color horse and supreme colour champion in the 2005 Canadian Pinto National Show. Perhaps I should have clarified that I am not looking only for colour. If I get another solid foal, it will be just as wanted and loved as the one I currently have.

Well, I've posted some pictures. Her conformation is fair - she does have a few faults, like she's a bit
Are you Canadian?

"It is the difficult horses that have the most to teach you" - Double Dan Horsemanship
Nokotaheaven is offline  
post #8 of 32 Old 11-04-2012, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,938
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiilaa View Post
Pinto patterns can be very mysterious A "solid" horse with "normal" white markings still has at least one pinto pattern, as every bit of white is caused by one of them (except scarring, but that's different lol). I can see that your mare has at least two - sabino and splash. Sabino because of the lip spot, and the way the face white is so even, splash because of how even the white on her legs is.

I would definitely test her for frame, also known as lethal white overo. Her test results in that would greatly influence what stallions you could breed her to. If she does carry frame, then you would not want to breed her to a stallion that also carries frame, as they have a 25% chance of producing a lethal white foal, which will die within about 72 hours of birth.
Thank you for your reply! I had no idea about the sabino and splash markings! Her dam (who was an Arab) had the same white socks on the hind legs, but they were not even at all like Lilly. I didn't know that was considered a paint characteristic. Very interesting.
Glynnis is offline  
post #9 of 32 Old 11-04-2012, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,938
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokotaheaven View Post
Are you Canadian?
I am indeed.
Glynnis is offline  
post #10 of 32 Old 11-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,504
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynnis View Post
I am indeed.
Haha thought so I am too!

"It is the difficult horses that have the most to teach you" - Double Dan Horsemanship
Nokotaheaven is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buckskin Colouring daaybreak Horse Colors and Genetics 2 04-06-2012 10:31 PM
What exactly is a pinto? hillree Horse Breeds 9 07-13-2011 09:40 PM
I need some help! New Colouring!! horseluver50 Horse Artwork 9 10-27-2009 02:33 AM
Pinto horsegurl221 Horse Breeds 10 07-21-2008 12:47 PM
colouring question!!! futolympeventer327 Horse Grooming 4 08-12-2007 07:24 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome