Is she bay? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Colors and Genetics

Is she bay?

This is a discussion on Is she bay? within the Horse Colors and Genetics forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Colors of foals
  • Bay foal

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-21-2011, 11:53 AM
  #11
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiilaa    
Indigo bays are generally born with a creamy buff colour where the black usually is on an adult horse. It sheds in darker with every shed until they are their adult colour.
What is an indigo bay? I've never heard that term before.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    06-21-2011, 01:40 PM
  #12
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirlcaitlin    
What is an indigo bay? I've never heard that term before.
She was replying to someone whose username is Indigo... :P

Should be "Indigo, bays..."

I think.
     
    06-21-2011, 04:22 PM
  #13
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilove    
She was replying to someone whose username is Indigo... :P

Should be "Indigo, bays..."

I think.
HA HA, oops my bad. That makes a lot more sense! I was like "what on earth is that?" Thanks for clearing that up for me!
     
    06-21-2011, 09:14 PM
  #14
Weanling
An indigo bay would be cool... blue legs and mane muahaha!
Lol, I didn't know that bay's are born creamy brown, but I guess horses change color so much even as adults that I shouldn't be surprised. So even the mane on your foal will turn black? My mare is a very definite bay, and she changes her shade of brown a lot. She's almost yellow in some places, and black in others, lol. I would have loved to see her as a foal, and I can't imagine her as brown... she's so dark now!
     
    06-21-2011, 09:51 PM
  #15
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigosblue    
an indigo bay would be cool... blue legs and mane muahaha!
Lol, I didn't know that bay's are born creamy brown, but I guess horses change color so much even as adults that I shouldn't be surprised. So even the mane on your foal will turn black? My mare is a very definite bay, and she changes her shade of brown a lot. She's almost yellow in some places, and black in others, lol. I would have loved to see her as a foal, and I can't imagine her as brown... she's so dark now!
I first learned about bay foals being born this color by visiting a friend's barn where they bred Friesian/Arabs. Almost all the horses were bay... there were two newborn foals there, and they kept saying "Two more bays!" but I didn't understand because they didn't look bay to me.

This foal is bay, but has no black on its legs:



     
    06-21-2011, 10:01 PM
  #16
Weanling
But see, that's what I find confusing... the two foals you showed me have black manes and tails, and the original foal has brown mane and tail. I always thought the mane colors don't change all that much, but i'm probably wrong. I would have said bay for your foal pictures from the start. Maybe there are more variable shades of bay and I just know the darker kind. Thanks for trying to explain it to me though =)
     
    06-21-2011, 10:07 PM
  #17
Trained
There are many, many shades of bay.
     
    06-21-2011, 10:10 PM
  #18
Trained
Maybe your monitor is showing colour differently to what I am seeing. The op's pic shows a foal with a black mane?
     
    06-21-2011, 10:12 PM
  #19
Yearling
The reason I said wild bay as a first guess was because of the foal's tail. It's definitely a bay, but I wasn't sure whether or not the tail color could indicate that it would turn out to be wild bay, like this?

     
    06-21-2011, 10:20 PM
  #20
Trained
It could, but foal colour can take a while to turn into adult colour. Wild bay isn't something that you can decide on until the colour is 'adult' colour. The OP horse still has the creaminess to the legs, which indicates that the colour is still baby colour and not adult yet.
     

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0