Solid paints - Page 4
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Colors and Genetics

Solid paints

This is a discussion on Solid paints within the Horse Colors and Genetics forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree10Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-30-2012, 01:15 PM
      #31
    Weanling
    Peppy Barrel Racing, do you have Pepper's parents on site? If not...how do you know that they are not grey now......greys turns grey at various rates....just because they were not grey when Pepper was foaled, doesnt mean they are not grey now. Unless of course you have them both on the farm yourself. When you say Pepper was born with a red mane, do you mean his foal coat had a red mane, or did he have a red mane past young the foal shed?
    Sorry for all the questions....I am just really curious about color fading on a non grey and a non appy. I know appy color genes can pop up time to time on other stock breeds. I just havent heard of max sabino causing a color to fade. I am curious to hear some more expert opinions here!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        11-30-2012, 01:29 PM
      #32
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MelissaAnn    
    Peppy Barrel Racing, do you have Pepper's parents on site? If not...how do you know that they are not grey now......greys turns grey at various rates....just because they were not grey when Pepper was foaled, doesnt mean they are not grey now. Unless of course you have them both on the farm yourself. When you say Pepper was born with a red mane, do you mean his foal coat had a red mane, or did he have a red mane past young the foal shed?
    Sorry for all the questions....I am just really curious about color fading on a non grey and a non appy. I know appy color genes can pop up time to time on other stock breeds. I just havent heard of max sabino causing a color to fade. I am curious to hear some more expert opinions here!
    Lol I know for certain 100% without a doubt he is not grey. I know the owners of pepper's dam very well that's how we ended up with him she is a black and white Overo mare her name is magic. Those people know the breeder of pepper's sire very well somewhere I have a picture if him he is a loud Chesnut Overo. Here is pepper's lineage from allbreed this is straight from his registration APHA papers. Sonnys Butch Cassidy Paint. As you can see there is no grey in his lineage. White markings will always have pink skin underneath pepper is all white except where the red ticking is/was. As he aged white takes over where the red was. There is still some red hairs in his mane and tail you just gotta get up close and personal to see them. There are red ticks on his ears, neck, shoulders, rump. They aren't really noticeable till he sweats though but they are there. And yes the baby mane and tail was bright red but now it is almost all white.

    This is an APHA explanation of peppers color
    The whitest of the sabinos are nearly or entirely white. Some retain color only on the ears. Others are indeed white all over. One of the whiter ranges of expression includes color on the ears, chest, and tail base. These are the medicine hat Paints of the native tribes from the Great Plains. Most sabinos that are largely white are very speckled and roaned, and some can be confused with Appaloosas.

    Some sabinos are quite white and survive, which points to this being entirely different from the frame overo that results in lethal white foals when homozygous. Sabino, by itself, is not associated with lethal white foals.

    Also OP did you say your horse has multicolored eyes that is a sabino trait.

    Many sabino horses have eyes that are partially blue and partially brown. Flecks, patches and roan areas are common on sabinos, in contrast to the frame overos that are usually more crisply marked.
         
        11-30-2012, 09:37 PM
      #33
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peppy Barrel Racing    
    Also OP did you say your horse has multicolored eyes that is a sabino trait.

    Many sabino horses have eyes that are partially blue and partially brown. Flecks, patches and roan areas are common on sabinos, in contrast to the frame overos that are usually more crisply marked.
    Blue eyes are a frame or splash trait, not a sabino trait.
         
        11-30-2012, 09:41 PM
      #34
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chiilaa    
    Blue eyes are a frame or splash trait, not a sabino trait.
    Oh really !!! Learned something new then I always like that. Quick question since I'm still learning can blue eyes only because by "paint" genes. I put paint in quotes since frame/splash isn't just in paints. So maybe a better question is frame/ splash the only thing that causes blue eyes or are there others genes? Love to be educated chiilaa. Thanks in advance.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        11-30-2012, 10:58 PM
      #35
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peppy Barrel Racing    
    Oh really !!! Learned something new then I always like that. Quick question since I'm still learning can blue eyes only because by "paint" genes. I put paint in quotes since frame/splash isn't just in paints. So maybe a better question is frame/ splash the only thing that causes blue eyes or are there others genes? Love to be educated chiilaa. Thanks in advance.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Double dilutes are the only other reason for genetic blue eyes.

    Instead of calling them "paint" genes, since Paint is a breed not a colour, I call them either pinto genes, or white patterning genes.
         
        11-30-2012, 10:59 PM
      #36
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chiilaa    
    Double dilutes are the only other reason for genetic blue eyes.

    Instead of calling them "paint" genes, since Paint is a breed not a colour, I call them either pinto genes, or white patterning genes.
    Gotcha that makes sense thank you for educating me.
    Chiilaa likes this.
         
        11-30-2012, 11:41 PM
      #37
    Started
    Justs would mean the horse is "exclusively" sabino even though saying might be displaying max sabino traits, yes indeed there would be other over genes at work there too creating the blue eyes. It is very common seeing the different patterning genes work in combination.
         
        11-30-2012, 11:49 PM
      #38
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lexiie    
    It's like that, but the skin on his body is not the same color.
    It's in big patches, not mottled or spotty.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    This tells me that it is something modifying the original base colour, not a pinto pattern adding white. If a pinto pattern adds white, the skin turns pink. Max sabinos still have dark skin under the colour, just some seem to shed a bit more colour as they grow older. The dark skin left under the white of a max sabino tends to be just like the example posted in this thread.

    This is the result of grey on top of pinto patterning. Is this closer to the horse OP?

         
        12-01-2012, 05:09 PM
      #39
    Started
    Chiilaa
    That's what he looks like when he's wet, just with the pink showing through his wet hair
         
        12-01-2012, 05:09 PM
      #40
    Started
    And all of his face is pink (except for his ears)
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Show off your solid paints/BSP's! sommsama09 Horse Pictures 14 06-17-2012 01:11 AM
    Solid jumps, a no no? Gallop On Horse Training 12 11-12-2011 10:52 PM
    2 solid chestnut Paints, gray Andalusian cross, silver dapple KMSH, and more! CloudsMystique Horses for Sale 1 08-26-2010 08:17 PM
    Discussion about Paints, specifically Breeding Stock Paints JustDressageIt Horse Breeding 22 03-23-2009 08:42 AM
    Solid Markings My2Geldings Horse Pictures 25 10-23-2008 08:51 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:45 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0