Splash, Tobiano, Buckskin- correct???? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 Old 12-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cariboo, British Columbia
Posts: 11,264
• Horses: 3
I would think this is a tovero, but I am really bad at pattern & color terminology. How about a cute little paint filly?
waresbear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 28 Old 12-08-2011, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 119
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by waresbear View Post
I would think this is a tovero, but I am really bad at pattern & color terminology. How about a cute little paint filly?
Lol, yep she is cute & a Pinto not Paint - but as I plan to bred from her (if she is good enough conformation wise), colour/pattern sort of counts (esp if there's a chance of unhealthy foal because of it)
Surayya is offline  
post #13 of 28 Old 12-08-2011, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 119
• Horses: 2
OK for those that think she is Seal & creme, can you please either post a pic or link to any confirmed (via testing of themselves or parent) Seal Brown buckskins whom are as pale/light as she is? I’ve looked for 3hrs now & can't find anything other than burnt/smutty/counter shaded buckskins

Also is there a test for Splash yet?

Can Tabiano only pattern actually have blue eyes? (some site’s say yes but rarely, others say not at all unless Overo is also present- any papers confirming or disproving either?)

& I now see why you think she's Frame rather than Splash, the fact she looks to have 2 coloured patches on a white head rather than a white marking on a coloured head makes her look very much Buckskin Frame Tovero doesnt it....
So testing her for Frame- if that comes back neg, she’s what… either a warped `new’ kind of Tobiano or a Splash? Do splash have pointed leg markings (the ones I’ve seen look fairly rounded & even)
Surayya is offline  
post #14 of 28 Old 12-08-2011, 02:14 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 5,153
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surayya View Post
OK for those that think she is Seal & creme, can you please either post a pic or link to any confirmed (via testing of themselves or parent) Seal Brown buckskins whom are as pale/light as she is? I’ve looked for 3hrs now & can't find anything other than burnt/smutty/counter shaded buckskins

Also is there a test for Splash yet?

Can Tabiano only pattern actually have blue eyes? (some site’s say yes but rarely, others say not at all unless Overo is also present- any papers confirming or disproving either?)

& I now see why you think she's Frame rather than Splash, the fact she looks to have 2 coloured patches on a white head rather than a white marking on a coloured head makes her look very much Buckskin Frame Tovero doesnt it....
So testing her for Frame- if that comes back neg, she’s what… either a warped `new’ kind of Tobiano or a Splash? Do splash have pointed leg markings (the ones I’ve seen look fairly rounded & even)
Wow lots of questions lol. I love questions :)

In terms of finding any that are as light as her, there are plenty. It is not the darkness of the coat that makes a horse brown instead of bay. Brown can be really light in itself, but it will still have the paler flanks and muzzle etc. While we can't see the soft part of your lady's muzzle, we can see her flank, where she shows a definite lighter shade.

As far as I am aware, there is no test yet for splash.

As for blue eyes, I do not believe there is any reason to associate them with tobiano. I also do not believe that it is associate with sabino. However, it is hard to say for definite if it is any of them, as we only have a test for tobiano, frame and sabino 1 (there is thought to be at least a sabino 2, if not more).

Mods, grant me the serenity to see the opinions I cannot change, courage to change the ones that should change, and the wisdom to spot the trolls.
Chiilaa is offline  
post #15 of 28 Old 12-08-2011, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 119
• Horses: 2
Smile Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiilaa View Post
Wow lots of questions lol. I love questions :)

In terms of finding any that are as light as her, there are plenty. It is not the darkness of the coat that makes a horse brown instead of bay. Brown can be really light in itself, but it will still have the paler flanks and muzzle etc. While we can't see the soft part of your lady's muzzle, we can see her flank, where she shows a definite lighter shade.

As far as I am aware, there is no test yet for splash.

As for blue eyes, I do not believe there is any reason to associate them with tobiano. I also do not believe that it is associate with sabino. However, it is hard to say for definite if it is any of them, as we only have a test for tobiano, frame and sabino 1 (there is thought to be at least a sabino 2, if not more).
Lol I had to temper those questions so there wasn’t 5 more


Can you direct me to any one pic of the many horses as pale/light as she is please?- Cause honestly I havent found a SINGLE horse who is confirmed Seal via testing to look this light (I have seen lighter than almost 'normal' looking seals but not this light), however I have seen a fair few (who to be fair have had no testing for Seal as far as I know) that look much like her that are considered counter shaded/smutty/burnt 'bay' buckskins.

Yes I understand a little about Browns - I've had a few lol (some from foal to full grown with extra modifiers on top as well). I have never had an overly pale seal brown horse tho – can you direct me to this variation of Seal brown please? I'm interested to see for myself how pale they can get, as all mine have been much of a muchness colour wise & as far as I knew Seal was just the black being expressed over the horses body aside from the soft parts, so very interested to see how this 'black' pointing can be diluted with out other modifiers at work

Cynder looks Seal Brown + creme in Winter- in summer not so much at all- however it is hard to tell with so much white, but her flank & side of her belly on the larger spot look to be the same colour as each other rather than paler flank, darker belly area....I do know that counter shading/ smutty can & do get very dark over winter esp over the head & neck area, which is why I am resisting the temptation of calling her Seal Brown- I'll try get some new pics of her now she's in her summer coat for all to take a look at.

I'm not really interested in I 'think' this is seal brown & creme examples, Im after it's 'proven' Seal Brown & creme examples If there's a strong chance she is Seal I'll spend the $100 & get her tested, I wont if I can't see another very pale/light coloured confirmed Seal Brown buckskin tho as it'd be like burning that $100 when I got the neg At results back & this close to christmas, burning $100 is not really an option lol

Last edited by Surayya; 12-08-2011 at 03:00 AM.
Surayya is offline  
post #16 of 28 Old 12-08-2011, 03:07 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 5,582
• Horses: 2
I wish I had taken a picture of him when I had the chance, but last year there was a gelding at my barn who looked exactly like your horse with his winter coat. I never saw him in his summer coat, but I imagine he was about as light as she is. I am willing to bet he hadn't been tested for At, but still it would be a picture for you to see.
Poseidon is offline  
post #17 of 28 Old 12-08-2011, 03:28 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 5,153
• Horses: 0
Again, the problem is that there is only one test for brown, and as it is unpublished, not many people are testing as yet. Another factor is that there is no test for sooty - some people are beginning to wonder if sooty expresses on bay at all, or if all those "sooty" bays were actually some shade of brown instead.

This mare is tested AAt, so she is brown. As you can see, she is fairly light, and easily mistaken for bay.

http://colorgenetics.info/equine_gal...57eb43ae84d67d

Mods, grant me the serenity to see the opinions I cannot change, courage to change the ones that should change, and the wisdom to spot the trolls.
Chiilaa is offline  
post #18 of 28 Old 12-08-2011, 03:33 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 5,153
• Horses: 0
Found it!!

Check out the mare on this page called Devine Mountain Echo.

Morgan Colors- Buckskin Morgan Horses

Same colour as your girl IMO. Just add white in the right places

Mods, grant me the serenity to see the opinions I cannot change, courage to change the ones that should change, and the wisdom to spot the trolls.
Chiilaa is offline  
post #19 of 28 Old 12-08-2011, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 119
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiilaa View Post
Again, the problem is that there is only one test for brown, and as it is unpublished, not many people are testing as yet. Another factor is that there is no test for sooty - some people are beginning to wonder if sooty expresses on bay at all, or if all those "sooty" bays were actually some shade of brown instead.

This mare is tested AAt, so she is brown. As you can see, she is fairly light, and easily mistaken for bay.

http://colorgenetics.info/equine_gal...57eb43ae84d67d
Wow that is VERY light!!! Was she tested for any other modifiers? (esp with that roan patch on her quarters). Thinking there is a good chance theres another modifier of some sort at work there, as her 'Tan' parts look almost white in that pic....Very interesting tho, thanks

My Brown filly looked very washed like this at between 1 & 3yrs come to think of it, but she also has a copy of the gray gene, so that is what I put it down to.
Surayya is offline  
post #20 of 28 Old 12-08-2011, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 119
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiilaa View Post
Found it!!

Check out the mare on this page called Devine Mountain Echo.

Morgan Colors- Buckskin Morgan Horses

Same colour as your girl IMO. Just add white in the right places
I've seen those pics before - I discounted them as the mature coat looks a way darker/richer brown than Cynder gets, even in winter.
I know why you think she's Seal Brown base I too feel she is rather 'beige' to be bay however in summer she goes uniform bright beige, with just a touch of darker shading about the eyes & a slightly darker chest....I may look into getting her tested for Brown next yr maybe- I know hardly labs test for it & that's the only reason why I've held off testing, like I say it's a good $100Nz for that one test alone & when I have 2 other tests at $30Nz each to do, it starts to add up
I may not even bother testing her for Seal Brown if I decide to put her to a homozygous Black & Tobiano Gypsy cob- she'll either throw a bay, brown or black with 50/50 chance of creme, if it's bay I know she's not Seal Brown, if it's Brown I know she's not Bay- the only kicker will be if she throws a black lol

Would you say her Dam is also a Seal Brown Buckskin?

Last edited by Surayya; 12-08-2011 at 05:43 AM.
Surayya is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bay splash... new white hairs? Poco1220 Horse Colors and Genetics 1 07-04-2011 12:37 AM
Splash? Frame? CloudsMystique Horse Breeds 25 01-04-2011 03:46 PM
Another Possible Buy : Buckskin Tobiano Mare BluMagic Horse Riding Critique 10 04-05-2009 01:17 AM
Horse Splash blossom856 Horse Videos 1 10-16-2007 06:22 AM
Please critique my new boy - Splash mommadog1956 Horse Riding Critique 3 04-20-2007 02:31 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome