Still think she's bay? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 Old 05-08-2013, 04:28 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 5,153
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Smoke View Post
I guess I will wait and see what transpires after she's completely shed out. It definitely isn't white/cold, but its not cinnamon either, more in between. How long does it take for the foal pangare to disappear if in fact that's what she's showing? She's a yearling. I don't think either of her parents has pangare, Arabs don't carry it, welsh do, however, her dam did not carry it that I'm aware of, and neither did her sire. Can it skip a generation, I'm not that familiar with it?

Dam
Pangare is in Arabians, it's not common, but it's there:



As far as how it is inherited, well that's not really understood at this point in time.
Blue Smoke likes this.

Mods, grant me the serenity to see the opinions I cannot change, courage to change the ones that should change, and the wisdom to spot the trolls.
Chiilaa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 28 Old 05-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 146
• Horses: 1
I don't know if it's just the lighting or the dust, but in the 4th picture her tail looks really gray! Maybe she will gray out :) The bottoms of her legs look a little grayish to me also.

But I'm not a color expert at all so don't take me too seriously :)
PreciousPony is offline  
post #13 of 28 Old 05-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,456
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousPony View Post
I don't know if it's just the lighting or the dust, but in the 4th picture her tail looks really gray! Maybe she will gray out :) The bottoms of her legs look a little grayish to me also.

But I'm not a color expert at all so don't take me too seriously :)
That's the pangre causing that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Blue Smoke likes this.
Peppy Barrel Racing is offline  
post #14 of 28 Old 05-14-2013, 10:20 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 779
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Smoke View Post
I guess I will wait and see what transpires after she's completely shed out. It definitely isn't white/cold, but its not cinnamon either, more in between. How long does it take for the foal pangare to disappear if in fact that's what she's showing? She's a yearling. I don't think either of her parents has pangare, Arabs don't carry it, welsh do, however, her dam did not carry it that I'm aware of, and neither did her sire. Can it skip a generation, I'm not that familiar with it?
If that is pangre (which I'd be almost positive to say it is), it doesnt disappear or shed out. The color is cream or "mealy". QH have it. My friend has a 9yr old bay mare with the same coloring as yours. And she is pangre bay. She is a year old, so her first shed this year will be VERY close to her true color in adulthood. It wont change much, UNLESS she starts to roan, or grey out.

Angels are people who can see and feel the pain in all creatures... -myself
Wheatermay is offline  
post #15 of 28 Old 05-15-2013, 03:57 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 5,153
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatermay View Post
If that is pangre (which I'd be almost positive to say it is), it doesnt disappear or shed out. The color is cream or "mealy". QH have it. My friend has a 9yr old bay mare with the same coloring as yours. And she is pangre bay. She is a year old, so her first shed this year will be VERY close to her true color in adulthood. It wont change much, UNLESS she starts to roan, or grey out.
Actually, foal pangare is very, very common, while adult pangare is not as common, especially in most common breeds. So they do grow out of it.

Mods, grant me the serenity to see the opinions I cannot change, courage to change the ones that should change, and the wisdom to spot the trolls.
Chiilaa is offline  
post #16 of 28 Old 05-15-2013, 05:04 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 779
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiilaa View Post
Actually, foal pangare is very, very common, while adult pangare is not as common, especially in most common breeds. So they do grow out of it.
But it's a yearling, wouldnt that be shed out by now?

Angels are people who can see and feel the pain in all creatures... -myself
Wheatermay is offline  
post #17 of 28 Old 05-15-2013, 05:13 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 5,153
• Horses: 0
Not always. I personally don't see a horse as being an "adult" colour wise until they are two or even three.

Mods, grant me the serenity to see the opinions I cannot change, courage to change the ones that should change, and the wisdom to spot the trolls.
Chiilaa is offline  
post #18 of 28 Old 05-15-2013, 05:16 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 779
• Horses: 3
Ok I was just going to post a picture of my bay gelding as a baby with pangre.... and I ran across a few pictures that made me question his color again, lol... I wont hijack your post though. Anyway Chiilaa, I know your know this stuff better than me, (I'm not trying to be a smarty pants), I'm just wondering if I got the foal shed wrong. Is it their baby hair, or the first spring shed when they are yearling? I'm going to have to send you pics of my gelding....

Angels are people who can see and feel the pain in all creatures... -myself
Wheatermay is offline  
post #19 of 28 Old 05-16-2013, 12:18 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 779
• Horses: 3
OK! Good to know!! So does the OP have to wait until about 3 yrs to find out if the pangre will stay?

Angels are people who can see and feel the pain in all creatures... -myself
Wheatermay is offline  
post #20 of 28 Old 05-16-2013, 11:19 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,456
• Horses: 4
I think after a year you'll know if its staying.
Posted via Mobile Device
Peppy Barrel Racing is offline  
Reply

Tags
bay , brown , yearling shed out

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Could she possibly be Blood Bay are Just Light Bay? redwing57 Horse Colors and Genetics 6 07-23-2012 11:59 PM
Is he dark bay, seal brown, or blood bay? Creampuff Horse Colors and Genetics 31 05-10-2011 09:42 PM
Bay vs. Blood bay? Plains Drifter Horse Talk 4 06-19-2010 10:18 PM
Pure Cleveland Bay Colt and Cleveland Bay Crosses aspenlucas Horses for Sale 0 12-16-2009 08:22 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome