Testing for frame if the horse looks frame??? - The Horse Forum

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-29-2012, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,248
• Horses: 2
Testing for frame if the horse looks frame???

Okay, I have a hypothetical question. Can you safely assume a horse such as this carries "frame" or do you have to test for it?

http://www.stallionconnectiononline....nViewRanch.png

I was under the assumption that if a horse looked frame, he was frame, and there was no need to test a horse that appeared to be frame, because if he had the pattern that was proof enough. Someone else I spoke to said you could breed two horses that had this pattern if you tested for frame first because one of them may not be a carrier.

Who is right?
trailhorserider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 01-29-2012, 01:02 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 5,153
• Horses: 0
If they are tested and one is neg, then yes, you can breed them, and your friend is right on that count.

This horse does look frame to me. However, he has other white going on - sabino and splash IMO. And both of those could cause the markings associated with frame in some examples. If I, personally, was breeding, I would test any horse that is either grade or from a breed that carries frame, regardless of the phenotype presented.

Mods, grant me the serenity to see the opinions I cannot change, courage to change the ones that should change, and the wisdom to spot the trolls.
Chiilaa is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 01-29-2012, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,248
• Horses: 2
Thank you so much.

So can a horse ever express frame phenotypically and NOT be a carrier for lethal white (assuming it is not a mistaken identity on the color pattern)?

Because my understanding is that it is actually homozygous frames that are lethal white, correct?

And frame x frame = 25% chance of homozygous frame?
trailhorserider is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 01-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,132
• Horses: 0
If a horse expresses frame and tests negative for it I would demand a retest. Frame is ONLY lethal when homozygous.

Every breeding of frame to frame gives you a 25% of no frame, 50% chance of a frame carrier, and a 25% chance of a soon to be dead foal. Anyone who breeds two frame positive horses together is irresponsible IMO.
NdAppy is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 01-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,772
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhorserider View Post
Thank you so much.

So can a horse ever express frame phenotypically and NOT be a carrier for lethal white (assuming it is not a mistaken identity on the color pattern)?

Because my understanding is that it is actually homozygous frames that are lethal white, correct?

And frame x frame = 25% chance of homozygous frame?
Yes, Yes and Yes.

"The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with
him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too."

-Samuel Butler
CLaPorte432 is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 01-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 5,153
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhorserider View Post
So can a horse ever express frame phenotypically and NOT be a carrier for lethal white (assuming it is not a mistaken identity on the color pattern)?
No, they can't express frame and not be a carrier. What I am saying is that sometimes, sabino especially, and some dominant whites, can make a horse look 'frame-esque". Regardless of phenotype, I would test every horse in a breed that carries frame in the gene pool, if I were to ever breed them.

Mods, grant me the serenity to see the opinions I cannot change, courage to change the ones that should change, and the wisdom to spot the trolls.
Chiilaa is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 01-29-2012, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,248
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhorserider View Post
So can a horse ever express frame phenotypically and NOT be a carrier for lethal white (assuming it is not a mistaken identity on the color pattern)?
Okay, so the above is really a "no" (unless it's mistaken identity).

The lady I was discussing this with is actually a breeder of Paint horses, and she was fantasizing about breeding a mare of hers (that to me) looks obviously frame to the stallion I originally linked, and when I asked if she was worried about lethal white she just sort of paused and said she's sure the stallion has been tested and she can always test her mare.

I guess I am kind of afraid I have a better understanding of lethal white than she does.

I think she's been safe so far because her stallion is tobiano. But several of her mares look frame (to me). Hopefully if she breeds to an outside stallion the breeder will inform her of the risk. That would be the responsible thing to do.
trailhorserider is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 01-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,772
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiilaa View Post
No, they can't express frame and not be a carrier. What I am saying is that sometimes, sabino especially, and some dominant whites, can make a horse look 'frame-esque". Regardless of phenotype, I would test every horse in a breed that carries frame in the gene pool, if I were to ever breed them.
What if they are expressing the frame overo pattern but aren't really a "frame" overo? Just the patterns seem to match what a frame looks like, which could be caused by other patterns (splash, sabino)

Therefore it's an overo, that looks frame, but actually isn't.

I've seen loudly marked "frame" overo's that are nn for LWOS.

(And then there's my mare who's minimally marked and is nO.)

"The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with
him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too."

-Samuel Butler
CLaPorte432 is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 01-29-2012, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,248
• Horses: 2
Interesting. I guess that would fall under mistaken identity.
CLaPorte432 likes this.
trailhorserider is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 01-29-2012, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,248
• Horses: 2
The stallion I linked is " OLWS + "

So that means he DOES carry frame, correct?
trailhorserider is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hunter Frame emeraldstar642 English Riding 1 07-27-2011 10:43 PM
Splash? Frame? CloudsMystique Horse Breeds 25 01-04-2011 03:46 PM
Anybody Else not get the quarter horse frame? Ariat164 Horse Breeds 117 02-14-2010 12:26 AM
Good frame on gaited horse? Zab Gaited Horses 20 09-23-2009 05:04 PM
false frame vs. true frame (please share pictures!) Jubilee Rose English Riding 56 03-21-2009 05:34 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome