Tobiano and Splash? - The Horse Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-14-2013, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,425
• Horses: 6
Tobiano and Splash?

Not sure if I'll describe this well, but lets try. So lets say a stallion has tobiano and splash, is there a higher chance for offspring to have a paint marking?
Ladybug2001 is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 Old 08-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 1,043
• Horses: 0
If the stallion is heterozygous for both they have a 25% chance of passing both tobiano AND Splash, 50% chance of passing one or the other, and 25% chance that the foal will get neither. If they are homozygous for either one then the odds change and the foal has 100% chance of getting a color gene. However to what degree the genes express is impossible to tell. A horse can carry frame or splash and be totally solid, and minimal tobiano may be just some white on the legs. Most heterozygous splashes (without additinal white genes) are just a crooked bottom heavy blaze, some leg white or a blue eye- often not enough to qualify for APHA regular papers.

However on the whole, yes your odds are somewhat better (75% rather than 50%) if the horse carries multiple white genes than a single one, on getting a foal that has a color gene.

Last edited by Tryst; 08-14-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Tryst is offline  
post #3 of 3 Old 08-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,286
• Horses: 1
Yes, as Tryst explained, the more pinto pattern genes a horse carries, the greater the odds that at least one of them will get passed on. However, just because a horse carries a pattern gene doesn't mean it will be expressed loudly. Tobiano specifically tends to express loudly, but that doesn't guarantee it will in every case!
verona1016 is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arabians and Splash Poco1220 Horse Colors and Genetics 76 01-27-2013 10:05 PM
Splash? What's going on here. MangoRoX87 Horse Colors and Genetics 13 01-06-2013 09:58 AM
Hmm, pattern? Splash, tobiano, overo? **pic heavy** smrobs General Off Topic Discussion 15 07-13-2012 02:38 PM
Tobiano,Tovero-tobiano/sabino? ladytaurean515 Horse Colors and Genetics 23 04-03-2012 10:09 PM
Splash, Tobiano, Buckskin- correct???? Surayya Horse Colors and Genetics 27 12-10-2011 10:03 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome