What do you guys think? - My Ponies Colors - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Colors and Genetics

What do you guys think? - My Ponies Colors

This is a discussion on What do you guys think? - My Ponies Colors within the Horse Colors and Genetics forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree11Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-19-2012, 04:52 PM
      #11
    Green Broke
    Oh, and my guesses are flaxen chestnut w/ sabino (for the white ticking) for the mini, and brown for the horse, possibly also with sabino for the white markings.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        11-19-2012, 05:05 PM
      #12
    Foal
    Well, I was taught by all the horsemen/women in our a area that Brown is not a color, just a variation of bay. But every horse person has a different name.

    Here's some pics of Echo I found in summer:
    I just get confused by her white speckles, see since I have had her, that weird star/blotch on her forehead has slowly gained more substance with each shed.





    Then some of Jesse in summer:
    He always stays a black, their winter coats show more color secrets, I.e.; Jesse's black legs show more in his Winter coat.





    His papers claim he's a Dark Bay (you know how that stuff goes; ugh.), says nothing about his sabino, which I am pretty sure he is.
         
        11-19-2012, 05:06 PM
      #13
    Foal
    Sorry double post
         
        11-19-2012, 05:10 PM
      #14
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SunnyMeadeFarm    
    Well, I was taught by all the horsemen/women in our a area that Brown is not a color, just a variation of bay. But every horse person has a different name.
    It's not just a matter of a different name. The gene that causes brown has been isolated, and we can now test for it. So regardless of what you were told by people in your area, brown IS a colour, it DOES exist, and ignoring it doesn't make it any less real. For what it is worth, your Jesse is almost the text book definition of brown.
         
        11-19-2012, 05:23 PM
      #15
    Banned
    Advancement in science will bite ya every time! ;)

    I thought I was great at "color". Well 25 years or so of not being in it has humbled me greatly *coughs*. I've now decided I have no idea what color anything is any more. Hehe
         
        11-20-2012, 12:04 PM
      #16
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chiilaa    
    It's not just a matter of a different name. The gene that causes brown has been isolated, and we can now test for it. So regardless of what you were told by people in your area, brown IS a colour, it DOES exist, and ignoring it doesn't make it any less real. For what it is worth, your Jesse is almost the text book definition of brown.

    Really no need to be aggressive, its just a forum.
    But, just curious, he at times has a very clear black leg like a bay,



    Is that a trait of a brown? I am not familiar with it,
    Also is seal brown the same as brown? What about seal bay?
    Again I am not familiar with brown, you seem to know a bit on it
         
        11-20-2012, 12:25 PM
      #17
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SunnyMeadeFarm    
    Really no need to be aggressive, its just a forum.
    But, just curious, he at times has a very clear black leg like a bay,



    Is that a trait of a brown? I am not familiar with it,
    Also is seal brown the same as brown? What about seal bay?
    Again I am not familiar with brown, you seem to know a bit on it
    Yes. The black points can also be a trait of brown. As NdAppy and Chiilaa said, bay and brown are variations of the agouti gene which restricts the black to points. Black points are not restricted to bays alone nor is it a sure tell on how to distinguish a brown from a bay.
         
        11-20-2012, 12:36 PM
      #18
    Trained
    Seal brown/seal bay are other names for brown.
         
        11-20-2012, 01:39 PM
      #19
    Green Broke
    Yep, most of the horses that have been called dark bay, black bay, seal bay, seal brown, etc. over the years are actually "brown" genetically. I still hate the term "brown" for that gene, though. There were so many other names already being used for it that they could have picked from... I personally think "seal bay" (At) and "classic bay" (A) would have made a lot more sense...
         
        11-20-2012, 01:43 PM
      #20
    Green Broke
    Browns always confuse me too. I was always under the impression that a brown horse was basically a version of bay that was darkened to the point where the entire body looked black (which is why most people, in my area anyhow, just call them black) spare the mealy areas, like muzzle, eyes, genitals, etc, and stayed that way through summer & winter. Exactly like the OP's gelding.
    Then I see threads & photos of horses that are light bay all year and then turn dark in the winter that are termed brown as well. I would say that they were just dark bays...
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    New ponies. rbarlo32 Horse Talk 7 10-05-2012 07:33 PM
    Curious about stud & mare colors affecting foal colors horseluver2435 Horse Colors and Genetics 8 08-20-2011 03:25 PM
    Ponies and GR FGRanch Horse Pictures 17 08-04-2008 01:05 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:12 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0