When do colts shed their first coat - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Colors and Genetics

When do colts shed their first coat

This is a discussion on When do colts shed their first coat within the Horse Colors and Genetics forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • How long for colts to shed
  • Colts not shedding out winter coat

Like Tree4Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-19-2013, 05:11 PM
  #21
Trained
Grulla is black with dun. All her markings are "dun factor", in other words her dun gene has caused her to have ear tips/rims, a dorsal stripe, lightening of her body color and leg stripes. Without the dun she would be a plain/normal black horse. Hence dun factor.

As for his coloring, the lightness. That's why I was asking for pictures/more information on the sire. There are many MANY studs that their owners swear up and down until they are blue in the face that they are blue roans when in fact they are bays or browns under the roan.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-19-2013, 05:12 PM
  #22
Showing
Bay dun is the color. Bay base coat with the dun gene. Dun factor refers to the characteristics of the dun gene (leg barring, true dorsal stripe, etc).

Grulla is more accurately called black dun, because it is a black base coat with the dun gene.

ETA: Dang it! Ninja'd by NdAppy! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    05-19-2013, 05:14 PM
  #23
Weanling
Im confused on why you keep calling him a dun, when the mare has dun qualities as well..?? There are many colts born this color and are still grulla but are mistaken for duns because of their first coat color, when they shed out to be their true mousey color. They both have the same marking and mind you he is only 6 weeks old and is still growing into his color, when he was just born his eyes and face werent near as dark and defined as they are now. His mother is a grulla and has the same dun marking as him, the ears, dorsal stripe into the tail, gaurd hairs, etc...so what would make the colt more "bay dun" qualities than his mothers grulla qualities... that's the part im not understanding?
     
    05-19-2013, 05:17 PM
  #24
Showing
The mare IS dun. That's what we're trying to tell you. Grulla is black plus DUN.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    05-19-2013, 05:17 PM
  #25
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by NdAppy    
Grulla is black with dun. All her markings are "dun factor", in other words her dun gene has caused her to have ear tips/rims, a dorsal stripe, lightening of her body color and leg stripes. Without the dun she would be a plain/normal black horse. Hence dun factor.

As for his coloring, the lightness. That's why I was asking for pictures/more information on the sire. There are many MANY studs that their owners swear up and down until they are blue in the face that they are blue roans when in fact they are bays or browns under the roan.
the lightness happens alot of grulla colts actually, they arent all born shades or grey or mousey color, a lot of them are born light like him then shed out to their true grulla color. And when he was born his face and eyes werent near as dark and defined as they are becoming now, once he starts to lose this first coat, his mousey color will come out more. GRULLO COLOR EXPLAINED: PHotos offered of grullo shades

Look at the third colt down on that link, light in color and shed out to mousey.. not the first example I have seen either, but its one I found to put on here for now.
     
    05-19-2013, 05:20 PM
  #26
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum    
The mare IS dun. That's what we're trying to tell you. Grulla is black plus DUN.
Posted via Mobile Device
i understand that, what I didnt understand was why they were trying to tell me the colt has the dun factor and kept calling him a bay dun etc when I already know he has the dun in him, I was trying to understand why its so hard to understand that he's a grulla dun.
     
    05-19-2013, 05:20 PM
  #27
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlottaBitCountry    
Im confused on why you keep calling him a dun, when the mare has dun qualities as well..?? There are many colts born this color and are still grulla but are mistaken for duns because of their first coat color, when they shed out to be their true mousey color. They both have the same marking and mind you he is only 6 weeks old and is still growing into his color, when he was just born his eyes and face werent near as dark and defined as they are now. His mother is a grulla and has the same dun marking as him, the ears, dorsal stripe into the tail, gaurd hairs, etc...so what would make the colt more "bay dun" qualities than his mothers grulla qualities... that's the part im not understanding?

I meant to say mistaken for bay duns because of their light coat color, not "mistaken for duns"
     
    05-19-2013, 05:24 PM
  #28
Showing
Probably because he looks to be more of a bay dun (bay base coat plus dun) than a grulla (black base coat plus dun). Which is why NdAppy asked for pics of the sire, or his pedigree. If the sire was actually a bay roan or brown roan (which A LOT of horses that are mistakenly called blue roan end up actually being bay or brown roans on closer inspection), then there is a good chance (more than fair) that your colt is a bay dun, not a grulla.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    05-19-2013, 06:00 PM
  #29
Weanling
Okay, well as far as I know he was a full out blue, ill have to ask for the owner of the studs phone number or something so I can be positive on the color of the stud, but from what I can tell besides his actual coat color, the colt has a black base coat not a brown shade. But anyhow, I just wanted to know how long it takes their first coat to shed out
     
    05-19-2013, 08:19 PM
  #30
Yearling
Why not color test the colt and report the findings? That would settle it for all of us ;) I also am not seeing Grulla
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Well my tractor shed is now a tractor shed frame. Phly General Off Topic Discussion 5 12-21-2012 07:16 PM
My horse hasn't shed his winter coat, possible shillings? SoCalCowgirl Horse Health 15 06-08-2012 01:11 AM
How do you shed off a winter coat? KaleylovesCharm Horse Health 12 02-15-2012 04:35 PM
horse been shedding coat when other horses are growing winter coat!? garlicbunny Horse Health 6 10-19-2011 08:43 AM
Mocha's starting to shed the foal coat mliponoga Horse Pictures 2 07-16-2011 02:24 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0