Why Do Gelding's Hips Creak? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 01-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Port Orchard Washington State
Posts: 1,870
• Horses: 3
I don't think it would be dirt because my trainers horse squeaks more after being clean
Posted via Mobile Device
drafts4ever is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 23 Old 01-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 730
• Horses: 5
I've heard that it's because they can lock air in thier stifle joint or muscle or something.
SugarPlumLove is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 01-09-2011, 01:58 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northeast Texas
Posts: 64
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastowest View Post
Thanks Eastowest! Those were interesting articles. :)
Posted via Mobile Device
anshorsenut88 is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 01-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maryland, USA.
Posts: 664
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarPlumLove View Post
I've heard that it's because they can lock air in thier stifle joint or muscle or something.
That's what I had always thought. I've heard of the sheath thing, but I know a few mares, including my own, who occasionally "crack." My mare didn't start it until about a year ago (a little after she turned 6) and it only occurs when she's been standing around for awhile, so the air thing would make sense...

Worth The Wait <3
hflmusicislife is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 01-11-2011, 07:05 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 735
• Horses: 1
>>>That's what I had always thought. I've heard of the sheath thing, but I know a few mares, including my own, who occasionally "crack." My mare didn't start it until about a year ago (a little after she turned 6) and it only occurs when she's been standing around for awhile, so the air thing would make sense...

The "sheath squeak" sound from geldings/stallions is pretty distinctive and doesn't sound like cracking/popping joints so much-- plus it is usually rhythmic and occurs every stride or every few strides.

Laura Lyon
Eastowest
http://www.eastowest.com
Eastowest is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old 01-11-2011, 07:13 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
I find that one hard to believe. The noise is physiologically not psychologically induced.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old 01-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 735
• Horses: 1
>>>> I find that one hard to believe. The noise is physiologically not psychologically induced.

I think what the article was saying is that a horse which feels stressed or tense might tense its body,(stiffen its muscles, brace its body, "tighten up" etc.)-- thus its psychological stress causes a physiological response.... which can result in increased sheath squeak......?

Laura Lyon
Eastowest
http://www.eastowest.com
Eastowest is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 01-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 5,153
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
I find that one hard to believe. The noise is physiologically not psychologically induced.
Ask a bloke if his 'bits' relax and drop lower when he is relaxed, and tighten up and draw up higher when he is stressed. Bet you will be surprised by the answer

Mods, grant me the serenity to see the opinions I cannot change, courage to change the ones that should change, and the wisdom to spot the trolls.
Chiilaa is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 01-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dixie
Posts: 481
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
I find that one hard to believe. The noise is physiologically not psychologically induced.
I agree with you... it's just air. I think some people feel the need to create an ingenious solution to a non existant problem


Edited to add: I've had relaxed geldings, non-stall kept, make that noise. Movement creates a vaccuum so to speak and draws in and expels air.. period. Has nothing to do with stress

<\__~
.// \\

Last edited by qtrhrsecrazy; 01-17-2011 at 09:53 AM.
qtrhrsecrazy is offline  
post #20 of 23 Old 01-18-2011, 03:34 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 5,153
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrhrsecrazy View Post
I agree with you... it's just air. I think some people feel the need to create an ingenious solution to a non existant problem


Edited to add: I've had relaxed geldings, non-stall kept, make that noise. Movement creates a vaccuum so to speak and draws in and expels air.. period. Has nothing to do with stress
The type of relaxation being referred to here isn't horses sunning themselves with drinks that have umbrellas in them all day long. It is relaxation under saddle.

Mods, grant me the serenity to see the opinions I cannot change, courage to change the ones that should change, and the wisdom to spot the trolls.
Chiilaa is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My gelding's wonky legs ShutUpJoe Horse Riding Critique 7 12-04-2010 07:34 PM
I roached my gelding's mane today and it looks AWESOME CloudsMystique Horse Grooming 125 12-30-2009 08:01 AM
Hands... and Hips gogirl46 Western Riding 4 11-23-2009 10:26 AM
Gelding's hip makes a popping sound KLeath93 Horse Health 5 02-26-2009 02:31 AM
Need help with every thing hips down... travlingypsy English Riding 12 11-18-2008 12:59 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome