20 Months
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Conformation Critique

20 Months

This is a discussion on 20 Months within the Horse Conformation Critique forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Height of 20 month old horses

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-07-2011, 10:59 AM
  #1
Green Broke
20 Months

Rodeo turns 20months old this month. I wasnt planning on getting a confo critique for another 4 months or so, BUT, a man next to the barn Rodeo is at has told me he is concerned about how Rodeo is growing. Saying that he doesnt look good at all for his age. I did just recently find out that Rodeo has been on Omolene #100, instead of Strategy, which I thought they were feeding him. This concerns me, as the man next door was saying that Rodeo isnt getting the proteins and nutrients that he needs. I have actually noticed that Rodeo hasnt grown too much, if at all height wise since he's been here in NC. But I thought that maybe he was, just slowly?

What do you guys think? Does he look alright for a 20month old Paint/TB? Last time I measured him, which was about 2-3months ago, he was 14hh at the withers, 14.2hh at the hip. Any and all advice/tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks






I know that their not the best confo shots, Im not looking for a full out confo crit....just asking if he's looking alright for his age.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-07-2011, 12:29 PM
  #2
Banned
Looks ok to me...except for that stupid map of Australia someone painted on his left side...

As a former breeder, I've raised a ton of youngsters. A large percentage of them don't grow too much in their second year. He's still butt high, and probably will be for a while, so his growth will pick up one of these days. As long as he is getting free choice hay, I wouldn't worry much about what kind of feed he is getting - after they are a year old, most do just find on hay alone with maybe a little grain or feed as a supplement...
     
    12-07-2011, 12:34 PM
  #3
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman    
Looks ok to me...except for that stupid map of Australia someone painted on his left side...

As a former breeder, I've raised a ton of youngsters. A large percentage of them don't grow too much in their second year. He's still butt high, and probably will be for a while, so his growth will pick up one of these days. As long as he is getting free choice hay, I wouldn't worry much about what kind of feed he is getting - after they are a year old, most do just find on hay alone with maybe a little grain or feed as a supplement...

Thanks faceman! Makes me feel a lot better!! The guy was just telling me that, like you said, they grow a lot from their 2 year old year, and up...but he was telling me that I better do something different as soon as possible, and that it might be too late, and that his growth is probably stunted, and that might be as tall as he will get period. But then again, this was the man who told me I could start riding him 4 months ago, so I guess I should really take what he says with a grain of salt ;)

Thanks again! Haha, thanks for pointing that out, I've been trying to figure out where I've seen that shape before, lmao
     
    12-07-2011, 12:47 PM
  #4
Green Broke
He appears to have a very straight hind leg and long, weak, pasterns (especially the front). He is.. weedy looking... has "poor lines" along the hindquarters along the back of the buttock.. and a bit of a belly. It is like he is being fed a lot of poor qulaity roughage (hay) and that is trying to be made up for with grain. That being said.. I would prefer to see him a bit thin than too fat (for growth plates and the fear of osteochondrosis).

Looking at this horse I would first check him for parasites. If he is out with a lot of other horses I would get him on a pretty tight parasite control program. If he is competing with other horses for roughage I would separate him part of the day so he can eat in peace. I would also run an analysis on the hay being fed to see what the NDF is as well as the ADF and the Protein and Energy including AVAILABLE nutrients. I think that his hay is poor quality and you may need to get him some better hay. Horses on poor hay tend to eat a LOT of it and get little out of it and end up looking like this boy.

I would not be real eager to increase the protein and energy of the grain (I do not know anything about the product you mention). I might be tempted to add corn oil to his feed or some wheat germ oil (for dense calories). If you add corn oil you need to add Vitamin A since it can make that nutrient less available to the horse.

It looks like he has had a surcingle on him.. maybe from lunging? IMO he is a bit young for lunging (puts too much pressure on the joints). OTOH if the surcingle mark is from ground driving I highly approve.
     
    12-07-2011, 01:20 PM
  #5
Trained
I agree he is pretty weedy looking, I would like to see him more fit, some added muscle, but not fat.
     
    12-07-2011, 01:52 PM
  #6
Foal
Hes just at a weird stage, the summer after my boy turned two, boy wasnt he funny looking, from 2 to three they start looking more like a horse.. he will be finee
     
    12-07-2011, 01:55 PM
  #7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by csimkunas6    
Thanks faceman! Makes me feel a lot better!! The guy was just telling me that, like you said, they grow a lot from their 2 year old year, and up...but he was telling me that I better do something different as soon as possible, and that it might be too late, and that his growth is probably stunted, and that might be as tall as he will get period. But then again, this was the man who told me I could start riding him 4 months ago, so I guess I should really take what he says with a grain of salt ;)

Thanks again! Haha, thanks for pointing that out, I've been trying to figure out where I've seen that shape before, lmao
There is no way his growth is stunted. There has to be a very serious lack of nutition to cause that. It is arguable whether his nutition is ideal, but it is obviously not so lacking as to inhibit growth.

I don't agree with the "weedy" comments at all, although everyone is entitled to their opinion. He is 20 months old...a fat 20 month old is an unhealthy 20 month old. He is still putting on height, and is no where near the age when he will start filling out. He shows no rib, the tailhead is not showing fat, but is not showing underweight either, his rump is round and his flanks are normal, and his withers are quite convex. He is a leggy, lanky 20 month old - hardly what I would term "weedy". If he looks the same a year and a half from now, I would term him "rangey", same as "weedy", but that is a long way off...
     
    12-07-2011, 02:31 PM
  #8
Green Broke
The Weediness I refer to has not to do with him being over all underweight.. but underweight in the wrong places.

No more weight should be added.. needs the weight he has distributed better (calories from a better source I am thinking). Poor hay gives this look because the horse must eat a LOT of it to get enough out of it.
     
    12-07-2011, 03:44 PM
  #9
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elana    
He appears to have a very straight hind leg and long, weak, pasterns (especially the front). He is.. weedy looking... has "poor lines" along the hindquarters along the back of the buttock.. and a bit of a belly. It is like he is being fed a lot of poor qulaity roughage (hay) and that is trying to be made up for with grain. That being said.. I would prefer to see him a bit thin than too fat (for growth plates and the fear of osteochondrosis).

Looking at this horse I would first check him for parasites. If he is out with a lot of other horses I would get him on a pretty tight parasite control program. If he is competing with other horses for roughage I would separate him part of the day so he can eat in peace. I would also run an analysis on the hay being fed to see what the NDF is as well as the ADF and the Protein and Energy including AVAILABLE nutrients. I think that his hay is poor quality and you may need to get him some better hay. Horses on poor hay tend to eat a LOT of it and get little out of it and end up looking like this boy.

I would not be real eager to increase the protein and energy of the grain (I do not know anything about the product you mention). I might be tempted to add corn oil to his feed or some wheat germ oil (for dense calories). If you add corn oil you need to add Vitamin A since it can make that nutrient less available to the horse.

It looks like he has had a surcingle on him.. maybe from lunging? IMO he is a bit young for lunging (puts too much pressure on the joints). OTOH if the surcingle mark is from ground driving I highly approve.

Thanks for the reply! He is on a 2 month worming program suggested by the vet at the barn I board him at. He is only out with one other horse, so I don't think he is competing for hay, as they give them several different piles to eat from, but it very well could be he's not getting enough of what he needs. Not sure how realistic getting the hay tested will be for me, to be honest, the barn I have him at doesnt seem to be too knowledgeable about that kind of stuff, and they think their hay is perfectly acceptable.

As for the surcingle marks, I was using it to ground drive him. As for lungeing, I have done just enough lungeing to where he understands the concept, and no more, as I agree with you, it does add much stress to joints regardless of age.

Would you suggest some kind of supplement for him? Thanks again!
     
    12-07-2011, 03:48 PM
  #10
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGRanch    
I agree he is pretty weedy looking, I would like to see him more fit, some added muscle, but not fat.

What do you suggest for adding muscle without stress to joints? Trail walks? THanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighteyes08    
hes just at a weird stage, the summer after my boy turned two, boy wasnt he funny looking, from 2 to three they start looking more like a horse.. he will be finee
He very well could be at a funny looking stage, he's gone through enough of them since I've had him! To add to that, I took pics a week before I took these, and he looked ribby, and thin, and these pics, a week later, he looks completely different. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman    
There is no way his growth is stunted. There has to be a very serious lack of nutition to cause that. It is arguable whether his nutition is ideal, but it is obviously not so lacking as to inhibit growth.

I don't agree with the "weedy" comments at all, although everyone is entitled to their opinion. He is 20 months old...a fat 20 month old is an unhealthy 20 month old. He is still putting on height, and is no where near the age when he will start filling out. He shows no rib, the tailhead is not showing fat, but is not showing underweight either, his rump is round and his flanks are normal, and his withers are quite convex. He is a leggy, lanky 20 month old - hardly what I would term "weedy". If he looks the same a year and a half from now, I would term him "rangey", same as "weedy", but that is a long way off...
What do the terms "weedy" and "rangey" mean? I honestly don't think I've really ever heard of them before. As for him being leggy, there is no doubt he is leggy, has been since I got him!! And he is pretty narrow, def nowhere near to being filled out, or even starting to fill out, he is still adding height for sure!
Thanks!
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sam at 16 months! DutchFeather Draft Horses 3 11-29-2011 01:02 AM
My new 5 months old QH yay! amschrader87 Horse Talk 11 11-20-2011 10:30 PM
its been 6 months !! gypsygirl Horse Pictures 10 12-18-2009 09:33 PM
7 months old horsecrazy15 Horse Training 15 02-01-2007 05:39 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0