Adopting a foal - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Conformation Critique

Adopting a foal

This is a discussion on Adopting a foal within the Horse Conformation Critique forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree16Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        02-15-2013, 02:11 PM
      #11
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elana    
    The mare is currently being starved to death? Colt doesn't look like he is starving.....

    Trade hay for the colt.. to save his mother. Call a vet and get that colt gelded (if he has dropped) and then get a trainer.

    No opinion on conformation. He doesn't look like a bad attitude.. just a young and untrained attitude.
    His mother was sold to another owner. I'm not allowed to have tact with the mother because she was out of water and I filled it. The owner is convinced I was trying to poison her.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        02-15-2013, 04:05 PM
      #12
    Green Broke
    I remember all this now (shakes head).

    Neglect in many of the horses - Animal control looks the other way

    If you want the foal, buy him. Do not keep him at this place. It will be nothing but trouble to do so.

    Get a trainer to help you.
         
        02-15-2013, 04:15 PM
      #13
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elana    
    I remember all this now (shakes head).

    Neglect in many of the horses - Animal control looks the other way

    If you want the foal, buy him. Do not keep him at this place. It will be nothing but trouble to do so.

    Get a trainer to help you.
    I will be moving out of this town at the end of October. I am debating on buying him now, and getting him in better hands until I can move, or taking my chances and waiting until just before I leave to try and buy him. The problem with the later option is if the other guy adopts him, I don't know how willing he will be to part with him. I am hoping he will realize it's a monster and practically give it away haha.

    And like I said multiple times, I plan on getting a trainer.
         
        02-15-2013, 04:21 PM
      #14
    Started
    I think it's better to act sooner than take your chances on acting later.
         
        02-15-2013, 04:22 PM
      #15
    Showing
    ^^I agree. The sooner you get him out of that crappy environment, the sooner he can start getting some good care and proper training.
    mudpie, Northernstar and Glynnis like this.
         
        02-15-2013, 04:33 PM
      #16
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glynnis    
    I think it's better to act sooner than take your chances on acting later.
    That is what I am thinking as well. The problem is both options have their pros and cons. The cons to adopting him sooner is that it may take me longer to move, because I have some extra costs that take away from saving to move.

    Boarding is only $30 per month which includes use of the roundpen, outdoor arena, water, and a 30x30 square for the horse to stay in. It is up to the boarder to build a shelter in that.

    I will need to buy hay, which is incredibly overpriced in this town. $300 for a ton of mid-quality grass hay is the best quality and cheapest price I can find.

    There is only one vet who is willing to come out here, and that is only on two scheduled days a year. There is only one farrier, and he is an a**hole.

    It's part of the reason I sold my old horse. The lack of services made things very difficult. On one occasion, my horse hurt his leg (and thankfully got better without vet help), and the vet would not come out, and he did not accept walk ins. I offered to pay my vet bill, his travel expences, and a hotel for the night for him. Still wouldn't do it.

    The other reason was I was the only non-mexican at the stables. Everyone down there is pretty close knit, and don't take well to outsiders. People were throwing rocks at my horse, stealing food from his dish, stealing $1500 worth of stuff from me, etc.

    The owner of the foal likes me (though the potential buyer hates me), so we can probably come up with a deal. I was thinking, to anyone who asks, it is his horse, and I am only helping out. I will pay for everything, but that way they don't think the object of their torment has returned.

    I'm worried about his safety if I buy him now. If I wait until I leave, I can put him in the horse box and leave with him.
         
        02-15-2013, 05:45 PM
      #17
    Started
    There is absolutely no other place that you can board this horse?
         
        02-15-2013, 05:52 PM
      #18
    Yearling
    What a cutie! At least if he's in your hands, regardless of whether or not you're able to get him the "best" services, you will for sure be able to provide him with a bright future! It would be extremely unfortunate if he were to be sold to that inexperienced man and his daughter, only to be left a "breeding" stallion and probably face a dismal future. The sooner you can get him out of there, the better!

    I'd encourage you to take him now, and through that ensure his safety and care, versus later, to find that he's gone to a bad situation.

    If there is no other place to keep your horse, make sure to lock your belongings up, make sure everything is very organized (so you can keep track of it all) and just mind your own business (hopefully everyone will mind theirs!!).

    The care that you can potentially provide this horse now will potentially eliminate needless suffering in the future!!
    Northernstar and Jalter like this.
         
        02-15-2013, 06:14 PM
      #19
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jalter    
    That is what I am thinking as well. The problem is both options have their pros and cons. The cons to adopting him sooner is that it may take me longer to move, because I have some extra costs that take away from saving to move.

    That does pose a dilemma. Is there a possibility of putting a deposit down to secure him, with some sort of arrangement with the owner in writing, and then pay the full amount when you are ready to move?

    EDIT: At least that way, you have something in writing that prevents the other person from taking him, but you don't necessarily have to deal with all of his costs yet.
    mudpie and Jalter like this.
         
        02-15-2013, 07:30 PM
      #20
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jalter    
    The other reason was I was the only non-mexican at the stables. Everyone down there is pretty close knit, and don't take well to outsiders. People were throwing rocks at my horse, stealing food from his dish, stealing $1500 worth of stuff from me, etc.
    Hm...that seems...odd...
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Adopting Vs. Buying MissColors Horse Talk 124 12-27-2012 07:04 PM
    maybe adopting? EnglishGirl144 Horse Conformation Critique 6 01-31-2012 01:36 PM
    Adopting! BluMagic General Off Topic Discussion 16 07-31-2008 05:41 PM
    Adopting Lizzy .... Dumas'_Grrrl Horse Riding Critique 6 05-30-2008 11:16 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:39 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0