APHA Stallion Conformation - Page 2 - The Horse Forum

 132Likes
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 68 Old 04-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NW Houston, TX
Posts: 1,360
• Horses: 2
May I ask why you won't geld him? Honestly, as the others have stated and is the consensus, he is not stallion quality. And I used to barrel race, he will not hold up. Please do the right thing and geld him, then do riding that will keep him more comfortable in the long run, ie trail rides
Posted via Mobile Device
Golden Horse likes this.
SullysRider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 68 Old 04-26-2013, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 869
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassierae View Post
Because of the reasons stated, I wouldn't touch that horse with a ten foot pole for barrels or as a stallion. His legs are scary, and I thought my gelding's were bad. Your boy would make an adorable trail/pleasure gelding. Stallion quality he is not.

ETA: You say he has been cutting since he was three? He's only 9. Come back after another ten years and let me know how his legs hold up. My mare is cowhocked, and wasn't started on the pattern until she was 7. She ran once a month, five months out of the year, until she was 17, and the first few years were easy runs until we had our pattern down. She's now 20, and so stiff and arthritic(on top of an injury to her knee which makes it worse), I am contemplating having her PTS.
As I said before. He isnt being gelded.
Aesthetic is offline  
post #13 of 68 Old 04-26-2013, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 869
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SullysRider View Post
May I ask why you won't geld him? Honestly, as the others have stated and is the consensus, he is not stallion quality. And I used to barrel race, he will not hold up. Please do the right thing and geld him, then do riding that will keep him more comfortable in the long run, ie trail rides
Posted via Mobile Device
If he works fine as a stallion and isnt problematic, why spend an extra $300 or $400 to geld him because of his age when he's fine as he is? Besides, in his next foal if my mare can counter whatever problems people are givig me, than so be it. Ill breed him.
Aesthetic is offline  
post #14 of 68 Old 04-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Stroudsburg, Pa
Posts: 984
• Horses: 4
Sorry, but your horse is a conformational trainwreck. I was your age once and wanted to keep my appaloosa colt a stud. Until I woke up and smelled the coffee, realized that he was a trainwreck and called the vet the next day. You are doing that stallion NO favors by keeping his nads. All he has is a pretty color. People like ou are the reason so many horses are in the kill pen, rescues are over run, and the reason I can't GIVE away a well bred, well broke horse. Your horse has NOTHING to offer to the gene pool.
kassierae is offline  
post #15 of 68 Old 04-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,614
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthetic View Post
If he works fine as a stallion and isnt problematic, why spend an extra $300 or $400 to geld him because of his age when he's fine as he is? Besides, in his next foal if my mare can counter whatever problems people are givig me, than so be it. Ill breed him.
That is certainly a different story than:

Quote:
he is open to breed whom ever would like to breed him and will pay a nice price.
NdAppy, xxdanioo and Muppetgirl like this.


oh vair oh is offline  
post #16 of 68 Old 04-26-2013, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 869
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh vair oh View Post
That is certainly a different story than:
You arent exactly making sense and or a point. This is a thread on his conformation whih people have been contributing too, not about if I should geld him, which im not.
Aesthetic is offline  
post #17 of 68 Old 04-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NW Houston, TX
Posts: 1,360
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassierae View Post
Sorry, but your horse is a conformational trainwreck. I was your age once and wanted to keep my appaloosa colt a stud. Until I woke up and smelled the coffee, realized that he was a trainwreck and called the vet the next day. You are doing that stallion NO favors by keeping his nads. All he has is a pretty color. People like ou are the reason so many horses are in the kill pen, rescues are over run, and the reason I can't GIVE away a well bred, well broke horse. Your horse has NOTHING to offer to the gene pool.
Well said
Posted via Mobile Device
SullysRider is offline  
post #18 of 68 Old 04-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 15,157
• Horses: 1
I'm not trying to be witchy or stir the pot, I'm honestly trying to understand your logic.

Why, when SO many people who know what they're talking about have told you that this horse is not breeding quality and they wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole, are you keeping him a stud? Especially with SO many mediocre studs already out there? There is absolutely nothing special about this horse. Yes, I understand you love him and think he's all that and a bag of chips, but the reality is that he is going to pass on all his undesirable traits to his offspring and the world will end up with even more poorly-conformed horses who can't stand up to their jobs and have to be retired early or PTS.

I just truly do not understand why you think keeping him a stud is a great idea.
Posted via Mobile Device
DraftyAiresMum is offline  
post #19 of 68 Old 04-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,614
• Horses: 0
The thread is APHA Stallion Conformation.

We told you he would make a lovely gelding. He is not stallion or breeding material.

So you acknowledge he has bad conformation but you are breeding him anyway because people will pay. It's very sad. Considering that makes the market for the paint horses I breed go down because it is so swamped with cheap foals on the ground.


oh vair oh is offline  
post #20 of 68 Old 04-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NW Oregon
Posts: 2,243
• Horses: 0
I can't add any to the comments already made...I'm just sorry to read he will be a breeding animal.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, it's because your tactics suck. ~ Marine 1SGT J. Reifinger
Dustbunny is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
conformation , critique , stallion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
please critique this apha stallion bhorselover Horse Conformation Critique 8 04-25-2012 06:17 PM
Possible buy today..conformation of APHA stallion alfjupiter82 Horse Conformation Critique 6 04-03-2012 12:07 AM
STALLION. What do you think of this boy!? APHA rippleranch Horse Breeding 99 01-27-2011 12:26 PM
APHA Stallion yooperbug Horse Riding Critique 9 09-09-2009 10:55 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome