Barrel Prospect... - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Conformation Critique

Barrel Prospect...

This is a discussion on Barrel Prospect... within the Horse Conformation Critique forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree12Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-14-2013, 09:40 PM
      #21
    Yearling
    Disrespect is disrespect. That same gelding I referenced earlier does all of that and more. Yet still has the nerve to pin his ears and turn his butt. This spring he's going to have a big wake up call.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-14-2013, 09:40 PM
      #22
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kassierae    
    That is a very good idea. I started my gelding when I was 20, and he was 2 year old stud. I did all the work, however I had the guidance of my grandmother, who's been doing this for 35+ years. For over a year I did NOT ride him unattended, too much can go wrong with babies. He had the best temperament, and was easy as pie, but there's still that chance. I'm now 24, and I still seek the guidance of my grandmother and may even be sending the brat out for a 60 day refresher this year. I've been around horses and barrel racing all my life but I can still admit when I need a trainer or guidance.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I know when I need help. I have got that trainer out to help me, and still ask her questions, she comes out when I need her. I am wanting to do Breezes training myself, because I will be the one riding her.

    I don't see the point of having your horse go to a trainer when they are first being broke if it is going to be you riding it, because you need to get them to realise that they have to respect YOU. At least if you have a knowledge. If you don't, well, get a broke horse, not one that will have to be broke.

    Do you get what I am saying? I am saying overall, I know when I need someone to help, but I will be doing the training myself, with guidence when needed.
         
        01-14-2013, 09:42 PM
      #23
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deschutes    
    Disrespect is disrespect. That same gelding I referenced earlier does all of that and more. Yet still has the nerve to pin his ears and turn his butt. This spring he's going to have a big wake up call.
    I know what you are saying. I know disrespect is disrespect. I am saying, Breeze has respect for me, but will have off days. Mainly when she does this, is when it is windy, snowing, really cold, or after she just ate.
         
        01-14-2013, 09:43 PM
      #24
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Breezy2011    
    Thank you, I was planning on getting a trainer to come out (not a big time trainer, but she trains her own horses, and sometimes other peoples too) when it is time to start her dicipline training. Maybe getting her to come out when I break her, so she can instruct me and tell me what I am doing wrong.
    I like your attitude....it's changed and matured a lot since we first 'met'. Keep up the learning, you can never learn enough
    kassierae likes this.
         
        01-14-2013, 09:44 PM
      #25
    Yearling
    And by "does all of that and more" I mean:
    Completely bomproof
    Been there done that
    Yields front and hind quarts
    Stops
    Jogs in hand
    Leads perfectly
    Gives feet when asked
    Stands nicely
    Side passes
    Stands perfect for the farrier
    Yields to leg pressure, etc.

    He does everything I ask and more. But again, feels the need to pin his ears and turn his butt and glare when I groom/tack him
         
        01-14-2013, 09:45 PM
      #26
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deschutes    
    And by "does all of that and more" I mean:
    Completely bomproof
    Been there done that
    Yields front and hind quarts
    Stops
    Jogs in hand
    Leads perfectly
    Gives feet when asked
    Stands nicely
    Side passes
    Stands perfect for the farrier
    Yields to leg pressure, etc.

    He does everything I ask and more. But again, feels the need to pin his ears and turn his butt and glare when I groom/tack him
    That's exactly what my turd does!!!
         
        01-14-2013, 09:47 PM
      #27
    Yearling
    Trust me, I've been your age and felt the same way. I also know that everyone has to start somewhere, but I also think that ALL horses should have experiences with other people and be ridden by other people. Yes, my gelding is mine and I am the one who rides him. But I do not have the capabilities to turn him into more than a trail horse/mid level barrel horse and while at your age I felt I could do more, I now realise I can't. I simply do NOT have the experience, even now 5 years later. He has some holes in his training that I do not know how to fix, mainly because at that age I was c.ocky and thought I could do it all. Boy was I wrong! Trainers are a GOOD thing.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        01-14-2013, 09:47 PM
      #28
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deschutes    
    And by "does all of that and more" I mean:
    Completely bomproof
    Been there done that
    Yields front and hind quarts
    Stops
    Jogs in hand
    Leads perfectly
    Gives feet when asked
    Stands nicely
    Side passes
    Stands perfect for the farrier
    Yields to leg pressure, etc.

    He does everything I ask and more. But again, feels the need to pin his ears and turn his butt and glare when I groom/tack him
    That is something you will need to work on then, just like I am working on lunging with Breeze. Every horse is different.
         
        01-14-2013, 09:49 PM
      #29
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deschutes    
    And by "does all of that and more" I mean:
    Completely bomproof
    Been there done that
    Yields front and hind quarts
    Stops
    Jogs in hand
    Leads perfectly
    Gives feet when asked
    Stands nicely
    Side passes
    Stands perfect for the farrier
    Yields to leg pressure, etc.

    He does everything I ask and more. But again, feels the need to pin his ears and turn his butt and glare when I groom/tack him
    Forgot to say that except when I come with the saddle he's fine or else I start swinging with my foot because my hands are holding the saddle
         
        01-14-2013, 09:51 PM
      #30
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kassierae    
    Trust me, I've been your age and felt the same way. I also know that everyone has to start somewhere, but I also think that ALL horses should have experiences with other people and be ridden by other people. Yes, my gelding is mine and I am the one who rides him. But I do not have the capabilities to turn him into more than a trail horse/mid level barrel horse and while at your age I felt I could do more, I now realise I can't. I simply do NOT have the experience, even now 5 years later. He has some holes in his training that I do not know how to fix, mainly because at that age I was c.ocky and thought I could do it all. Boy was I wrong! Trainers are a GOOD thing.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I know trainers are a good thing. I will probably get a trainer out for Breeze also, for a refesher when she is broke. By that I am saying, if you don't have the knowledge or the guidense to do it yourself while breaking, you should get an older horse.

    I do have the knowledge to break a horse, BUT with guidence. I will be getting someone out, I am positive of that, to instruct me and tell me what I am doing wrong when I break Breeze, but I will still be the one on her.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    barrel prospect jaytee Horse Talk 16 07-23-2013 04:51 PM
    Possible barrel prospect? MangoRoX87 Barrel Racing 8 08-09-2012 08:10 PM
    Barrel Prospect ManeStream Ranch Horses for Sale 0 07-04-2012 07:30 PM
    Looking for Barrel Prospect KateS Barrel Racing 16 05-14-2011 12:46 PM
    Barrel Prospect? bthny158 Horse Riding Critique 10 10-26-2007 04:38 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:38 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0