better halter horse? - The Horse Forum
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 02-09-2012, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8
• Horses: 0
Exclamation better halter horse?

hey! I was wondering which horse would make a better halter horse for the county 4-H. These are just some pictures,. They arent professional, but you get a pretty good idea! But could you just give me your opinion and pros and cons of each horse?. Thanks

Arizona (mare)
18 yrs old
Western ridden
14.3
Quarter horse, not registered.

001.jpg picture by ilylily411 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011319.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011315.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011292.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011294.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

Mable (mare)
5 years old
Western ridden
14.2 hands
Registerd as paint...yes paint! Ik she doesnt have much white...but she is

november2011003.jpg picture by ilylily411 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011309.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011311.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011350.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket


elnuraoctober2011352.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

Thanks for your time!(:
ilylily11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 02-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 641
• Horses: 0
I like the 5 year old. She looks more like a halter horse, even though she is a little chubby. And I wouldn't buy a horse older than 12, but that is just my opinion
TimWhit91 is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 02-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Coastal NC.
Posts: 418
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilylily11 View Post
hey! I was wondering which horse would make a better halter horse for the county 4-H. These are just some pictures,. They arent professional, but you get a pretty good idea! But could you just give me your opinion and pros and cons of each horse?. Thanks

Arizona (mare)
18 yrs old
Western ridden
14.3
Quarter horse, not registered.

001.jpg picture by ilylily411 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011319.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011315.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011292.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011294.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

Mable (mare)
5 years old
Western ridden
14.2 hands
Registerd as paint...yes paint! Ik she doesnt have much white...but she is

november2011003.jpg picture by ilylily411 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011309.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011311.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011350.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket


elnuraoctober2011352.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

Thanks for your time!(:
Definitely the second horse!

Dahlia <3 1/4/2012
nherridge is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 02-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 5,455
• Horses: 1
In our state the "halter" class in 4-h is actually a showmanship class. The difference is that YOU are judged on how you show your horse and your horses performance NOT on your horses conformation. So the answer is "It doesn't matter".

There's nothing like the Rockies in the springtime... Nothing like the freedom in the air... And there ain't nothing better than draggin calves to the fire and there's nothing like the smell of burning hair. -Brenn Hill
kevinshorses is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 02-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: In the Twiggs
Posts: 1,724
• Horses: 3
I would definitely go with the 2nd one as well.
The first one gives no pictures of the horse unsaddled so I can not judge confo all that much but from what I can see there are some flaws and some things going down hill due to the horses age I am sure.

The 2nd horse is very cute....again not the best pictures for confo critique but she seems nicely put together, with some weight lose/getting her in shape she should clean up nice.
ilylily11 likes this.
sierrams1123 is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 02-09-2012, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrams1123 View Post
I would definitely go with the 2nd one as well.
The first one gives no pictures of the horse unsaddled so I can not judge confo all that much but from what I can see there are some flaws and some things going down hill due to the horses age I am sure.

The 2nd horse is very cute....again not the best pictures for confo critique but she seems nicely put together, with some weight lose/getting her in shape she should clean up nice.
thanks a bunch(: and I was wondering what you see in the 18 year old that are some flaws. Yes, she is pretty old. I would like your critizim about her!
ilylily11 is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 02-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: In the Twiggs
Posts: 1,724
• Horses: 3
her back end looks wonky, she looks like she may even have a sway back (not something that would be good at all for halter)
sierrams1123 is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 02-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,403
• Horses: 1
Marble, for sure(:

Negatives: Short in neck, steep in croup, low set tail, and she may be downhill, but I think it's just the picture I'm looking at

Positives: Good structure in legs, good angle to pasterns, good build in shoulder, strong back

When you judge a horse, you're looking at three major things: Balance, Muscle, Structure. So I'd recommend getting more muscle on her, especially in her hindquarters and across her topline, as well as working some of the chub off! Along with BSM, a judge looks for the way the horse moves. Choppy, rough movers will place below fluid, pretty movers.

Also, you don't want her to have any attitude. She should be quiet and well behaved –*enthusiastic, even! Teach her to set, too. Practice this at home a lot. Especially when horses get to new places, they can be antsy and won't set well – this will definitely get points docked!

When preparing her for a halter class, make sure her mane is clean, trimmed, and neat. No long, ratty manes! Her face, legs, and neck should be trimmed –*no long whiskers or fuzzy hairs! As well as a short bridlepath.

Hope this helps – let us know how it goes!!

The hills were bathed in moonlight, the shadows not so stark;
Silver light reflected off his brown hide as he held me in the dark
– I love you, Mudpie!
mudpie is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 02-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Comanche, Ok
Posts: 190
• Horses: 6
marble would in my eyes be best. Around my area shed be in the ribbons easy.

The 18 year old is too weak and little in the rear to be good in halter, looks fairly weak all around.

"A horse can lend its rider the speed and strength he or she lacks, but the rider who is wise remembers it is no more than a loan." ~Pam Brown
cowgirlup07 is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 02-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 14,535
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimWhit91 View Post
And I wouldn't buy a horse older than 12, but that is just my opinion
I think the OP owns both these horses (or her family does), she's just wondering which would make a better halter horse out of the two.


I agree that Mable would be the better choice...once she's in a little better shape and not so tubby.

http://i42.tinypic.com/140y8lj.png
Do not tell me I can't...because I will show you that I can.
DraftyAiresMum is online now  
Reply

Tags
4-h , halter class

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you get a halter horse back into halter shape?? shermanismybaby3006 Horse Training 9 03-06-2012 12:08 AM
Dressage Bridle, 74" Scrim, Leather Cob Halter, Sleazy, Tail Bag, Rope Halter FS Curly_Horse_CMT Tack and Equipment Classifieds 11 02-08-2012 09:49 AM
Synthetic halter? Showing in a nylon halter? rocky pony Horse Tack and Equipment 14 01-15-2012 01:16 AM
Rope Halter Vs. Leather Halter Monty77 Horse Training 6 08-13-2011 04:18 PM
Rope Halter vs. Nylon Halter mswp27 Horse Training 16 06-14-2010 04:08 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome