Coming 2 1/2year old Crit. - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 10-15-2012, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,959
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elana View Post
Still butt high and more filled out. Stand by my original critique. Like the filling out.

Thanks Elana! Do you think he is getting more filled out because he is walking around more, and getting more to eat than he was at the boarding barn? Because Im pretty sure he is getting less exercise here than he was there....
csimkunas6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 24 Old 10-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,157
• Horses: 0
I agree, this is the best he's looked yet!

That IS an almost level horse I see! And more muscular too!
trailhorserider is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 10-15-2012, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,959
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhorserider View Post
I agree, this is the best he's looked yet!

That IS an almost level horse I see! And more muscular too!
Thank you!! I think so too, Ill be honest though, I've been obsessing over his weight, and how much he is getting to eat. He is actually on a really cheap grain right now....couldnt find what he was getting before so when I moved him to the house about 2months ago, I slowly switched him to a new feed, more hay throughout the day....and he isnt stalled at all anymore, and he seems to be enjoying life a lot more. Thanks again THR!!!
csimkunas6 is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 10-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,029
• Horses: 2
He will thicken and grow more as he continues to mature. I have never, ever, ever seen a horse that did not grow from their 2 year old year to their 4 year old year. My bet is that he will be taller, thicker, and stronger next year, then slowly taper off - my mare grew a hand from the spring of her three year old year til the winter of her four year old year, and my bet is he'll level off completely as well.

It's basically the difference between a 16/17 year old teenager and a 25 year old. HUGE difference. He's just not done growing yet anymore than a teenager is.

Good food helps (obviously). Being out and walking in the pasture also helps her bone density. Keep the great care going - you are doing a fantastic job and he is super cute.

There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living. - Nelson Mandela
Ace80908 is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 10-16-2012, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,959
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace80908 View Post
He will thicken and grow more as he continues to mature. I have never, ever, ever seen a horse that did not grow from their 2 year old year to their 4 year old year. My bet is that he will be taller, thicker, and stronger next year, then slowly taper off - my mare grew a hand from the spring of her three year old year til the winter of her four year old year, and my bet is he'll level off completely as well.

It's basically the difference between a 16/17 year old teenager and a 25 year old. HUGE difference. He's just not done growing yet anymore than a teenager is.

Good food helps (obviously). Being out and walking in the pasture also helps her bone density. Keep the great care going - you are doing a fantastic job and he is super cute.

Thank you! I think he's going to look pretty decent when he's mature. Considering what he looked like when I bought him, any improvement is a plus! But honestly, I love the way he has matured thus far. Not saying he is anywhere close to perfect, or ideal, but what horse is? And he works for me, so....:)

As for him growing, Im guesstamating him at 15.1hh or so. I know he is def 15hh, as that's what he was quite a few months ago. Funny thing is, when we were trying to figured out how tall he'd get, my vet, farrier, and fellow barn members didnt think he'd get any taller than 15.3hh....we'll just have to wait and see
csimkunas6 is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old 10-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,018
• Horses: 1
Growing horses go butt high until the rest catches up, I have seen it over and over again. You should start to see that slow down a bit now. He has a very nice build and looks well taken care of. Is he reining or cutting bred?
Spotted is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old 10-16-2012, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,959
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted View Post
Growing horses go butt high until the rest catches up, I have seen it over and over again. You should start to see that slow down a bit now. He has a very nice build and looks well taken care of. Is he reining or cutting bred?

It sure has slowed down!! As he was growing up, it was constant, but honestly since he turned 2 it has slowed down quite a bit, even more so now that he is past that 2.5year mark.....thanks so much Spotted!


And to answer your question....as far as I know he is neither....breeder bred him for barrels, lol.....got the speed(well was supposed to) from his TB side, and his looks, and intelligence from his Paints/QH's side.....here is his bloodlines

Rodeo Time Paint
csimkunas6 is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old 01-13-2013, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,959
• Horses: 1
3months later....just 3months short of his 3rd bday!



All shaggy in his winter coat!
csimkunas6 is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 01-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 14,476
• Horses: 1
Is it sad that when you said "All shaggy in his winter coat" and then I saw him, my first thought was "That looks like Aires' summer coat!"? ROFL!

He's looking good! You know where his faults lie, so no critique I can give. He's a horse now, not an awkward baby! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
DraftyAiresMum is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 01-13-2013, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,959
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum View Post
Is it sad that when you said "All shaggy in his winter coat" and then I saw him, my first thought was "That looks like Aires' summer coat!"? ROFL!

He's looking good! You know where his faults lie, so no critique I can give. He's a horse now, not an awkward baby! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Hahahah that's too funny!!! How is Aires doing nowadays? Havent heard, or seen much about him, but then again, havent been on too much so.

But yeah, at this point Im fully aware of his faults, just like to show people updates, and that as fugly as he was, he's usable
csimkunas6 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Critique 2year old QH racheld90 Horse Conformation Critique 9 06-22-2012 11:42 AM
Yearling Trouble, 2year old problems MojaveRattler Horse Health 4 11-03-2011 08:23 PM
Wanted: Draft or cross yearling to 2year old. CowGirlUp9448 Horses for Sale 0 08-28-2010 06:47 PM
feeding a 2year old rescue Painted Ride Horse Health 14 10-07-2008 03:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome