Critique Nick: 16.2 QH gelding
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Conformation Critique

Critique Nick: 16.2 QH gelding

This is a discussion on Critique Nick: 16.2 QH gelding within the Horse Conformation Critique forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree17Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-14-2014, 12:32 PM
      #1
    Yearling
    Critique Nick: 16.2 QH gelding

    This is my sister's gelding, Nick.

    He's 8 years old. 16.2 hh gelding.

    The pictures aren't perfect but I figured I'd give it a go.

    He's her 4H horse. She was practicing in her show outfit and I figured I'd snap a few pictures.





         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-14-2014, 12:41 PM
      #2
    Weanling
    From what I can see he is a bit upright in the shoulder and hocks. His longish neck balances okay with his slightly long back, but he is under-powered in the hindquarters for his size.

    He is in good condition, but he shows signs of maybe developing a bit of a swayback. It could also just be the angle of the photo, shadows or whatnot. Nice and clean through the legs, got a good foundation. Only complaint is he's a little upright in the pasterns.
    tinyliny likes this.
         
        08-14-2014, 12:50 PM
      #3
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by disastercupcake    
    From what I can see he is a bit upright in the shoulder and hocks. His longish neck balances okay with his slightly long back, but he is under-powered in the hindquarters for his size.

    He is in good condition, but he shows signs of maybe developing a bit of a swayback. It could also just be the angle of the photo, shadows or whatnot. Nice and clean through the legs, got a good foundation. Only complaint is he's a little upright in the pasterns.
    Thank you. In regard to his neck length, he's bred western pleasure (he's a Gucci baby if that means anything) and I heard they breed for longer necks?
         
        08-14-2014, 01:12 PM
      #4
    Weanling
    I'm not familiar with the Pleasure QH lineages, but I could tell right away he is the Western Pleasure type... so they must be doing something right! ;)
         
        08-14-2014, 01:15 PM
      #5
    Green Broke
    Yes Gucci babies do tend to have longer necks. Over all he is a decent looking man, I see his build a lot in the show pen.
         
        08-14-2014, 03:47 PM
      #6
    Green Broke
    He is cute. Is your sister tall ? He does not look all that tall in the photo 16.2 is a really tall horse. He looks lopsided in the photo from the rear but that could be camera angle.
    Also his rt front looks off . Could be how he is shod, hoof angle.
         
        08-14-2014, 11:04 PM
      #7
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevenson    
    he is cute. Is your sister tall ? He does not look all that tall in the photo 16.2 is a really tall horse. He looks lopsided in the photo from the rear but that could be camera angle.
    Also his rt front looks off . Could be how he is shod, hoof angle.
    She is very much not tall.

    We haven't officially measured him. He's a very big horse for sure, but I'm not sure if 16.2 is quite right.

    I only say 16.2 because her 4H leader told us that's how big she thought he was.
         
        08-15-2014, 02:51 AM
      #8
    Yearling
    Yeah, looking at that picture, she does look quite tall. She wasn't standing directly in front of him though - more toward the camera. She actually comes up to the middle of his barrel

    I am 5'4 and am eye level with the lowest point in his back. And she's 4' something.

    Ah, pictures...they are tricky.
    stevenson likes this.
         
        08-15-2014, 02:17 PM
      #9
    Green Broke
    Yes pics are tricky ;) . Since one hand high is four inches then to be 16.2 that is 66 inches tall at the wither 5 ft 4 " tall at the withers .
         
        08-15-2014, 02:21 PM
      #10
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevenson    
    yes pics are tricky ;) . Since one hand high is four inches then to be 16.2 that is 66 inches tall at the wither 5 ft 4 " tall at the withers .
    Wouldn't that be 5'6" at the withers?

    16.2hh x 4" = 66"
    66" / 12" = 5'6" (12 x 5 = 60)
    Posted via Mobile Device
    stevenson and Change like this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Help me bond with Nick ForeverSunRider Horse Training 12 07-04-2014 12:25 PM
    Nick Names HeGivesMeWings Horse Talk 21 10-06-2013 02:06 PM
    Chip and Nick's Horsey Christmas Carols Red Gate Farm Horse Stories and Poems 3 12-08-2012 05:37 PM
    Do you nick name your horses? Thatgirlsacowboy Horse Talk 33 11-09-2009 07:13 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:04 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0