Do you see a transformation? - Page 3 - The Horse Forum

 116Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 102 Old 08-02-2014, 03:05 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 326
• Horses: 1
You need to be less defensive if you are asking for a general consensus of people who are not physically there.

To ride or not to ride.....What a silly question!
Emma2003 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 102 Old 08-02-2014, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 869
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma2003 View Post
You need to be less defensive if you are asking for a general consensus of people who are not physically there.
Im going to be defensive over some things, and that's exactly why. They aren't here and can't see him act in person, so they have no room to say he's not happy. Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device
3ringburner likes this.

Last edited by Aesthetic; 08-02-2014 at 03:23 AM.
Aesthetic is offline  
post #23 of 102 Old 08-02-2014, 04:12 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 326
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthetic View Post
Im going to be defensive over some things, and that's exactly why. They aren't here and can't see him act in person, so they have no room to say he's not happy. Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk here, but all the people viewing this post have to go by is their personal interpretation of the words and pics that you have provided. Perhaps you could say "Yup, she's lost some weight. It took her a while to adjust to her new environment but things are improving"
MoonshinePaint likes this.

To ride or not to ride.....What a silly question!
Emma2003 is offline  
post #24 of 102 Old 08-02-2014, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 869
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma2003 View Post


I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk here, but all the people viewing this post have to go by is their personal interpretation of the words and pics that you have provided. Perhaps you could say "Yup, she's lost some weight. It took her a while to adjust to her new environment but things are improving"
I clearly say in the original post he has lost weight and I've switched his feed and separated him to help him gain weight haha. I know you're not trying to be a jerk, and like I said I'm open to critique but if someone is going to say my horse is unhappy, that's not critique.
Yes he has lost weight, he is thin but he is not SKINNY. His tail head and spine aren't protruding disgustingly, he has always, even from the day I got him had pokey hips.
That's why I questioned is Timwhit read my first post was because I state I know he's thin.
3ringburner likes this.
Aesthetic is offline  
post #25 of 102 Old 08-02-2014, 10:06 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 718
• Horses: 0
Sorry Aesthetic, but I would consider him skinny in the second pictures you posted. He is scoring about a 3 on a body scale, and getting closer to a 2. I know you are doing what you can, and nobody should be judging your horses happiness. If you didn't care you wouldn't be here! So here are my suggestions:

1) FORAGE, FORAGE, FORAGE. Do whatever you can to get him on 24/7 hay...it will make the world of difference. There is absolutely no point in pumping him full of more grain, especially if he does have ulcers, which only increases stomach discomfort and contributes to weight loss. Keep his tummy happy with high fiber and high fat. Feed oils if you can but keep it to a minimum as it can give them diarrhea.

2) Keep riding/work to a minimum until he's back up to speed. Burning much needed calories won't be helpful and muscle is much harder to build without some fat on them first. Stretches and proper body carriage exercises will do wonders for you guys too. He is very "upside down" in the way he stands. Teaching him to reach down, stretch his topline, and use himself BACK to FRONT. All of this can be done on the ground before even stepping foot in the saddle.

3) Definitely test for ulcers, parasites, etc. I would pull blood and do fecals before you treat, that way your not wasting time/money on self-diagnostics. Pretty simple tests and you will feel a ton better knowing whats going on.

Again, these are just my personal suggestions, so take them with a grain of salt. EVERYONE cares for their horses differently. Below are a few pictures of a gelding I bought at the age of 4 who literally drove me crazy trying to keep weight on. I did everything I could think of for him and the thing that finally worked was giving him a good quality round bale of grass/alfalfa to go to town with...results were unbelievable. I had him on hay 3-4 times a day before that, but the 24/7 access really made a difference.

When he came...
mag20.jpg

After only a week of free-choice hay
hay.jpg
EnduranceLover6 is offline  
post #26 of 102 Old 08-02-2014, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 869
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduranceLover6 View Post
Sorry Aesthetic, but I would consider him skinny in the second pictures you posted. He is scoring about a 3 on a body scale, and getting closer to a 2. I know you are doing what you can, and nobody should be judging your horses happiness. If you didn't care you wouldn't be here! So here are my suggestions:

1) FORAGE, FORAGE, FORAGE. Do whatever you can to get him on 24/7 hay...it will make the world of difference. There is absolutely no point in pumping him full of more grain, especially if he does have ulcers, which only increases stomach discomfort and contributes to weight loss. Keep his tummy happy with high fiber and high fat. Feed oils if you can but keep it to a minimum as it can give them diarrhea.

2) Keep riding/work to a minimum until he's back up to speed. Burning much needed calories won't be helpful and muscle is much harder to build without some fat on them first. Stretches and proper body carriage exercises will do wonders for you guys too. He is very "upside down" in the way he stands. Teaching him to reach down, stretch his topline, and use himself BACK to FRONT. All of this can be done on the ground before even stepping foot in the saddle.

3) Definitely test for ulcers, parasites, etc. I would pull blood and do fecals before you treat, that way your not wasting time/money on self-diagnostics. Pretty simple tests and you will feel a ton better knowing whats going on.

Again, these are just my personal suggestions, so take them with a grain of salt. EVERYONE cares for their horses differently. Below are a few pictures of a gelding I bought at the age of 4 who literally drove me crazy trying to keep weight on. I did everything I could think of for him and the thing that finally worked was giving him a good quality round bale of grass/alfalfa to go to town with...results were unbelievable. I had him on hay 3-4 times a day before that, but the 24/7 access really made a difference.

When he came...
Attachment 491666

After only a week of free-choice hay
Attachment 491674
He's going in HOPEFULLY next week for fecal, ulcers, and teeth. If I do 24/7 I'll be risking my mare quite a bit of tummy trouble, but we will see. We need a new hay ring first :/.
Well I see him as "thin" to me skinny are your emancipated babes out there.

I may be saying this because I'm taking care of another woman's horses and they're in far worse shape than Hagen...it's irrelevant but I think it just makes me feel Like Hagen is way better than what they are.

I'm going to get beet pellets today, I'm also going to slowly add Canola oil into his feed.

SPEAKING OF! Yesterday I actually lunged him for about 5-10 minutes to see if a homemade surscingle worked, and he have his nose right to it and gave zero fuss. Hopefully with a easy and collected trot for a few minutes a day his top line will come in. He doesn't look rounded at all, like he doesn't know how to carry himself.

I don't have a problem collecting him under saddle, I just never really worked with it. I more or less focused on side passing/ loping easy circles without going all over the place, just his simple stuff. Working from rear to front never crossed my mind!!

Any other suggestions on him? I'm going to look for a hay ring hopefully soon.
Posted via Mobile Device
EnduranceLover6 likes this.
Aesthetic is offline  
post #27 of 102 Old 08-02-2014, 12:42 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 718
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthetic View Post
Well I see him as "thin" to me skinny are your emancipated babes out there.

I may be saying this because I'm taking care of another woman's horses and they're in far worse shape than Hagen...it's irrelevant but I think it just makes me feel Like Hagen is way better than what they are.

There are many horses they are worse off, but being defensive about saying your horse is thin, skinny, whatever isn't solving his issues. The key is to remember than you aren't STARVING him, we all come across horses like this in our lifetime and nobody is blaming you for his appearance. My horse I posted is a similar score to you boy...he was skinny when I bought him and stayed that way for a very long time until I could figure out what worked for him. Admitting that he was underweight sucked, but its a true score on a professional body scale for horses. Just stay positive about your efforts!

SPEAKING OF! Yesterday I actually lunged him for about 5-10 minutes to see if a homemade surscingle worked, and he have his nose right to it and gave zero fuss. Hopefully with a easy and collected trot for a few minutes a day his top line will come in. He doesn't look rounded at all, like he doesn't know how to carry himself.

I don't have a problem collecting him under saddle, I just never really worked with it. I more or less focused on side passing/ loping easy circles without going all over the place, just his simple stuff. Working from rear to front never crossed my mind!!

Collection should be the last thing you worry about. When I talk about body carriage I simply mean that he has to learn to drive himself from behind...no fuss over his head or neck whatsoever. I would rather see him pushing off from behind with impulsion with his head up in the air than having his head tucked pretty with a hollow back and without tracking up. It is very hard to be able to feel and see the difference but with practice you'll get better at knowing when he is truly using himself correctly. Excellent video below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8cOq7YWXys
EnduranceLover6 is offline  
post #28 of 102 Old 08-02-2014, 01:17 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Valley of the Sun
Posts: 2,923
• Horses: 3
What kind of hay are you feeding? Did the vet say why he got the runs on the alfalfa?

So in lies the madness, the pursuit of the impossible in the face of the complete assurance that you will fail, and yet still you chase.
flytobecat is offline  
post #29 of 102 Old 08-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Valley of the Sun
Posts: 2,923
• Horses: 3
Backing him up through obstacles and doing rollbacks on the fence will also help him build his top line and get him working on his back end.

So in lies the madness, the pursuit of the impossible in the face of the complete assurance that you will fail, and yet still you chase.
flytobecat is offline  
post #30 of 102 Old 08-02-2014, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 869
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytobecat View Post
Backing him up through obstacles and doing rollbacks on the fence will also help him build his top line and get him working on his back end.
He will learn roll backs eventually! Since he is long backed and in training to be a barrel horse I want him to use his rear properly so he doesn't hurt himself. As for the alfalfa thing, no idea but he isn't the first horse we've had the issue with. Alfalfa naturally makes horses have runs, just Hagen would constantly have them. He himself gets about 4-5 squares of hay Morning and night. Now that he is being separated he will be getting it all to himself

Now backing...I could back him to canada..
Aesthetic is offline  
Reply

Tags
gelding , quarter horse , transformation

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transformation Anyone? HunterJumperShow Horse Pictures 3 01-01-2014 09:10 PM
Transformation eeo11horse Horse Training 1 10-01-2013 05:50 PM
Then and now transformation my2geldings Horse Pictures 19 08-09-2013 02:50 PM
total transformation Snowkicker Horse Talk 10 06-06-2011 08:50 PM
Transformation! We are SUPAHSTARZ. MacabreMikolaj Horse Trailers 6 07-03-2010 10:26 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome