Eventing Mare Conformation - The Horse Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-17-2012, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 52
• Horses: 2
Eventing Mare Conformation

Suri is a 16.1hh 8yr old Clydesdale/Thoroughbred/Quarter horse cross. We are hoping to start eventing in the spring of 2013. I know her conformation isn't great, she is actually out of a PMU mare. I would however like to know about her conformation so tell me it all, the good, the bad, and the ugly! Oh and in the first picture she looks a bit downhill due to the footing so I will upload a few different ones so she gets a fair judging. :) Thanks to anybody that takes the time to help me out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2169.jpg (46.8 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2174.jpg (98.2 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2176.jpg (92.9 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2178.jpg (51.4 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2181.jpg (49.0 KB, 231 views)
LeafOnTheWind is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 10-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 4,332
• Horses: 2
Shes got a good, solid shoulder on her
Plenty of depth through the girth
She appears to be over at the knee
Back is borderline long but not bad
Can't see anything terrible off about her hindend
There is something off about her hind legs, though just from those photos it's hard to determine whether she is just slightly sickle-hocked or posty.
I'm no expert on eventing, but she appears to be a nice big, solid horse with a few small faults

"If a horse fails to do something that is because he was not trained to do it. If a horse fails to do something properly that is because he was not trained properly."
www.wildestheartart.com
lilruffian is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 10-19-2012, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 52
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilruffian View Post
Shes got a good, solid shoulder on her
Plenty of depth through the girth
She appears to be over at the knee
Back is borderline long but not bad
Can't see anything terrible off about her hindend
There is something off about her hind legs, though just from those photos it's hard to determine whether she is just slightly sickle-hocked or posty.
I'm no expert on eventing, but she appears to be a nice big, solid horse with a few small faults
Thanks for the critique! I was wondering if her back was a bit long since she wears an 84" :) Good to know there is nothing terribly wrong with her (her parents were both something of train-wrecks!)
LeafOnTheWind is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 10-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,733
• Horses: 4
Better built than my eventer and when Monty was young he was evented by a professional. I like her. She looks sweet. Sure she has a few faults but if she's sound, goes well, does what you want her to do and is happy, so what?
Elana likes this.

A CLEAN SLATE FOR THE FUTURE
blue eyed pony is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 10-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canadensis, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,313
• Horses: 1
I'm no expert, but she looks awesome. So nicely put together. She's solid looking.

I live to ride and I ride to live
Horses are just angels without wings
11/01/09 <3 my horse left hoof prints on my heart
Lexiie is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 10-19-2012, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 52
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue eyed pony View Post
Better built than my eventer and when Monty was young he was evented by a professional. I like her. She looks sweet. Sure she has a few faults but if she's sound, goes well, does what you want her to do and is happy, so what?
Thanks! She is turning into a really sweet mare :) Funny you say sound in reference to this mare. She had to be rehabbed 2yrs due to blown sesamoid ligaments in her front hooves. She is super sound now though (knocks on wood) :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexiie View Post
I'm no expert, but she looks awesome. So nicely put together. She's solid looking.
Oh thanks! :) We always joke that if she can't make it over a fence cross country she can just plow on through!
LeafOnTheWind is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 10-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,733
• Horses: 4
ohhh sesamoid ouch. That's never a good thing! Any idea how/why she did it?

A CLEAN SLATE FOR THE FUTURE
blue eyed pony is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 10-19-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 52
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue eyed pony View Post
ohhh sesamoid ouch. That's never a good thing! Any idea how/why she did it?
We're not exactly sure how/why it happened as we didn't have her at the time (the old owners weren't exactly truthful either). I'm just happy she is sound now :) Although I tell you, this mare is a health trainwreck! She was actually diagnosed with a cancerous sarcoid a little over a year ago. Luckily, it will not spread, but we are currently trying some different methods to keep the size down. She sure likes to keep us busy
LeafOnTheWind is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 10-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW UK
Posts: 9,916
• Horses: 0
I like her. She has a good sensible head and nice eye. Her neck is a good length but she has inherited some of the Clydesdale's shoulder in that it is little straight and shallow.
Over at the knee which might lead to problems as they can get tendon problems with that fault but not always.
Good girth depth allowing for plenty of heart/lung room.
A tad long in the back but allowable as she is a she.
Lovely backside with a great second thigh - this usually means good jumping ability.

If she turned up here I would have her out following Foxhounds in no time at all!
Foxhunter is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 10-20-2012, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 52
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhunter View Post
I like her. She has a good sensible head and nice eye. Her neck is a good length but she has inherited some of the Clydesdale's shoulder in that it is little straight and shallow.
Over at the knee which might lead to problems as they can get tendon problems with that fault but not always.
Good girth depth allowing for plenty of heart/lung room.
A tad long in the back but allowable as she is a she.
Lovely backside with a great second thigh - this usually means good jumping ability.

If she turned up here I would have her out following Foxhounds in no time at all!
Thanks for the critique! :) She is quite the jumper! I will know where to look if she turns up missing
LeafOnTheWind is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Bit for Eventing Mare? equinegirl26 Eventing 12 03-19-2013 02:30 AM
eventing prospect? tb conformation. foxrider88 Horse Conformation Critique 10 09-29-2012 11:00 PM
Tb eventing mare-allrounder Cheyenne123 Horses for Sale 0 10-04-2011 07:21 AM
Conformation critique on eventing prospect EquineEnthusiast Horse Riding Critique 2 03-19-2011 10:01 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome