First American Saddlebred I've ever had, what do you think? - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Conformation Critique

First American Saddlebred I've ever had, what do you think?

This is a discussion on First American Saddlebred I've ever had, what do you think? within the Horse Conformation Critique forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree20Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        02-18-2013, 08:36 PM
      #11
    Trained
    Wow, this a cool looking horse! No critique as I don't know hardly anything about the breed to know what is desirable. Don't worry about the licking, my horse is a licker and has been all his life and has never bit any human flesh, ever and he is 13. One thing I will say about your horse, THAT NECK GOES ON FOREVER!!!!! I love that!
    LeynaProof and ApolloRider like this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        02-22-2013, 07:08 PM
      #12
    Started
    Pretty horse. He looks really nice. No outstanding flaws. He won't win Louisville, but I doubt that is why you got him. Lol!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    ApolloRider likes this.
         
        02-22-2013, 07:24 PM
      #13
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LadyDreamer    
    Pretty horse. He looks really nice. No outstanding flaws. He won't win Louisville, but I doubt that is why you got him. Lol!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    WOW!!!
    I looked up the saddlebreds in the shows there! They are beautiful, but they look so odd to me. Don't get me wrong I can appreciate their beauty but their hooves look so long, and they step so high... I know people like it, and they are perfect examples of the breed.
    Do their hooves and their gates ever hurt them over time? Forgive my ignorance, I knew nothing about saddlebreds I'm just kinda diving into the breed. :) like I said I fell in love with him, not so much his breeding. Though, I think I got lucky to have found him.
    LeynaProof likes this.
         
        02-22-2013, 09:53 PM
      #14
    Started
    When I get home I will get you some good reading and links.

    Short answer on soundness, no. One of my favorite three gaited horses was sadly retired last year at 19. Still rockin'! They are successfully bred to pick up their feet high, and do it well. You cannot force them to. Their soundness is essential to achieving that high action. At the trot, two feet are hitting the ground and supporting the horse at all times, and with the higher elevation the feet hit the ground with more force. If the horse is off, even a little bit, they will lose "motion". There will be unevenness in the gait, a head nod, and they will not pick their feet up any higher than necessary.

    They are the BEST breed when you want that "buddy". They are bred for their inquisitive and personable nature. There are some that are nasty, but it is *usually* man-made. I grew up with them, so I am very biased, but I haven't met any other breed that can compare. I love other breeds, but they are just missing that...something. Hah, I love them.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        02-23-2013, 12:15 AM
      #15
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LadyDreamer    
    When I get home I will get you some good reading and links.

    Short answer on soundness, no. One of my favorite three gaited horses was sadly retired last year at 19. Still rockin'! They are successfully bred to pick up their feet high, and do it well. You cannot force them to. Their soundness is essential to achieving that high action. At the trot, two feet are hitting the ground and supporting the horse at all times, and with the higher elevation the feet hit the ground with more force. If the horse is off, even a little bit, they will lose "motion". There will be unevenness in the gait, a head nod, and they will not pick their feet up any higher than necessary.

    They are the BEST breed when you want that "buddy". They are bred for their inquisitive and personable nature. There are some that are nasty, but it is *usually* man-made. I grew up with them, so I am very biased, but I haven't met any other breed that can compare. I love other breeds, but they are just missing that...something. Hah, I love them.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Thanks so much Lady. :) I really appreciate it!!
    I have a video of him that was sent to me when I was enquiring about him at first. It's really bad quality but it shows his movements a little better. I don't see any gait in the video, nor did I see any when I lounged him. In all honesty I wasn't looking for it. I really got him as a riding buddy, and low level dressage. I'm just learning it. :) I can pm you his video, but like I said it bad quality. :)
         
        02-23-2013, 12:27 AM
      #16
    Yearling
    Beautiful! Get some meat on him and fix up those feet and he'll be breath taking!
    ApolloRider likes this.
         
        02-23-2013, 12:36 AM
      #17
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samstead    
    Beautiful! Get some meat on him and fix up those feet and he'll be breath taking!
    Thank you!!
    Just need this weather to let up so he can be hauled home. Grrrr
    Samstead likes this.
         
        02-23-2013, 09:21 AM
      #18
    Started
    Yeah, he looks 3 gaited to me. That means walk, trot, canter. The ones known as five gaited walk, trot, and canter as well, but have been taught the slow gait and the rack. Most are not trained for that.

    Here are a few good YouTube videos for you.
    The American Saddlebred - All American Athlete - YouTube

    The Amazing American Saddlebred - YouTube

    ALL of the Equestrian Life Videos are great. They have a program that you can get a coupon for a free riding or driving lesson with Saddlebreds and Hackneys.

    Versatility - YouTube

    The pinto early in the video with the girl in the blue coat is a little mare called Sprinkles. She is a World Champion and last year was given her own Breyer. She is phenomenal.
    Why Are We Different - YouTube

    ASHA - American Saddlebred Horse Association

    I love this trainer. He is suchh a wonderful guy.
    http://sunsetfarmsaddlebreds.com/

    History Of The American Saddlebred Horse

    There you go for now! Be proud. You are one of the club now. :)
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        02-23-2013, 10:12 AM
      #19
    Foal
    I REALLY love his coloring...but I guess I'm partial to that because my boy has the same coloring. I don't know enough about that breed, but I agree that he has great neck and shoulders,but his coupling looks a little thin. Maybe that will fill in when you get some more weight on him. Congrats on getting him. My boy is a licker too. Maybe that's a gaited horse trait?
         
        02-24-2013, 09:05 PM
      #20
    Foal
    Truly gorgeous !! I just love them.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    The Amazing American Saddlebred LadyDreamer Horse Breeds 38 09-29-2012 04:52 AM
    American Saddlebred geldings ilovesonya Horse Pictures 7 08-09-2011 06:42 PM
    Looking for Info on American Saddlebred Sire lv2kyshowtrot Horse Breeds 4 09-08-2010 10:11 PM
    My American Saddlebred, Eric. Rissa Horse Pictures 6 08-20-2010 06:19 PM
    Show Your American Saddlebred Pictures. tempest Horse Breeds 56 07-21-2009 04:56 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:52 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0