General confo critique on this APHA mare. - The Horse Forum
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-29-2012, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,807
• Horses: 0
General confo critique on this APHA mare.

Hi everyone,

I need some opinions on this mare:
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo145/animalluvr2/090111114931.jpg?t=1327902373

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo145/animalluvr2/090111115017.jpg?t=1327902376

From what I get, funny looking wither, a little thin boned, her hocks look a tad straight? And her front legs just look.. short to me. Any and all feedback is appreciated. I might take this mare in as a trail/light fox hunter. She's free and I might have space.

Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
ilovemyPhillip is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 01-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 15,772
• Horses: 1
What I see:

Long back

Slightly sickle hocks

I'm not a fan of her neck (it looks...wonky)

Not a fan of her hind end in general (looks week to me, but I could be wrong)

Her shoulder looks maybe a little steep to me? Not entirely sure because of the way she's standing

She needs a lot of muscle, especially in her neck and topline...I think the "funny looking withers" you're seeing is just lack of muscle or a topline

And it looks like she needs a trim, especially on her front left and right hind (may just be the angle of the pic?)
aggiegirl14 likes this.

http://i42.tinypic.com/140y8lj.png
Do not tell me I can't...because I will show you that I can.
DraftyAiresMum is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 01-29-2012, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,807
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum View Post
What I see:

Long back

Slightly sickle hocks

I'm not a fan of her neck (it looks...wonky)

Not a fan of her hind end in general (looks week to me, but I could be wrong)

Her shoulder looks maybe a little steep to me? Not entirely sure because of the way she's standing

She needs a lot of muscle, especially in her neck and topline...I think the "funny looking withers" you're seeing is just lack of muscle or a topline

And it looks like she needs a trim, especially on her front left and right hind (may just be the angle of the pic?)
This pic is from the summer, she has front shoes on and gets trimmed every 6 weeks or so.
Thanks for the feedback, I'd definitely muscle her up. She seriously just sits in a paddock 24/7 with a bunch of old broodmares.
Posted via Mobile Device
ilovemyPhillip is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 01-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cariboo, British Columbia
Posts: 11,644
• Horses: 3
I like her neck because the topside is twice as long as the underside and it comes out of the shoulder at a good angle, not too high. Her backend is slight, but she has a heartgirth I like. Her legs are ok, nothing major, but somewhat on the slight side. Could be just the unflattering pic, but her head looks common.
waresbear is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 01-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: In the Twiggs
Posts: 1,724
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by waresbear View Post
I like her neck because the topside is twice as long as the underside and it comes out of the shoulder at a good angle, not too high. Her backend is slight, but she has a heartgirth I like. Her legs are ok, nothing major, but somewhat on the slight side. Could be just the unflattering pic, but her head looks common.
agreed!

with some TLC I think she would def look 10x better.
sierrams1123 is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 01-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,010
• Horses: 3
I don't think TLC or conditioning of any sort would help her much - but she's free and you know the saying 'don't look a gift horse in the mouth'.

She's long in the back, her tail is high set which is more of an aesthetic thing. I don't like her legs at all, and that poor thing needs a good decent farrier who doesn't get her angles all out of whack. She has well defined withers, nothing strange about them - just a lot of people aren't use to seeing such nice withers on stock breeds.

I don't like her neck, it ties in too low, it's short and thick.

And... she might have an under-bite.

I've got a lovely bunch of Neuticals,
There they are all standing in a row

Big ones, small ones, some as big as your head

Last edited by PaintsPwn; 01-29-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: left out the word 'withers' -__- tardisms.
PaintsPwn is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,807
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintsPwn View Post
I don't think TLC or conditioning of any sort would help her much - but she's free and you know the saying 'don't look a gift horse in the mouth'.

She's long in the back, her tail is high set which is more of an aesthetic thing. I don't like her legs at all, and that poor thing needs a good decent farrier who doesn't get her angles all out of whack. She has well defined withers, nothing strange about them - just a lot of people aren't use to seeing such nice withers on stock breeds.

I don't like her neck, it ties in too low, it's short and thick.

And... she might have an under-bite.
Thank you - maybe I should get you more pictures? I can go see her tomorrow and get real pictures (with my Canon, nor cell phone)

Should I get head shots to check out that under bite situation?
Posted via Mobile Device
ilovemyPhillip is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,807
• Horses: 0
Thanks warwsbear and sierra!

I also meant to address her feet, my farrier is absolutely fantastic (I share him with where she is now) - he really did take care of her feet. I'll get pictures of those, too!
Posted via Mobile Device
ilovemyPhillip is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,772
• Horses: 2
I think she would make a lovely trail horse. She needs some muscle/weight put on her but she looks pretty calm. LoL. Almost lazy. She's got a great coloring to her.

"The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with
him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too."

-Samuel Butler
CLaPorte432 is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,807
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 View Post
I think she would make a lovely trail horse. She needs some muscle/weight put on her but she looks pretty calm. LoL. Almost lazy. She's got a great coloring to her.
Before I post her over in the colors section, is she a chestnut overo? With sabino? I don't think I see frame..

Thank you, she can be lazy! She was a friend's horse and I want to gve her a good home. I dunno about her breeding, I need to get her papers.
Posted via Mobile Device
ilovemyPhillip is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Critique (not exactly confo - just general and pricing) Poco1220 Horse Conformation Critique 10 11-22-2011 09:04 PM
Confo critique - 6yr old APHA gelding TheMadHatter Horse Riding Critique 9 07-27-2011 04:46 PM
Confo Critique my mare maddiemaisie Horse Riding Critique 9 05-24-2011 12:09 PM
Confo critique - 10 yo TB mare eventer757 Horse Riding Critique 1 05-06-2011 11:52 PM
Confo critique: Zippie AQHA/APHA/AjPHA gelding sorelhorse Horse Riding Critique 24 05-21-2010 01:35 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome