Honest critique wanted: 2Yr old filly with dubious past - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Conformation Critique

Honest critique wanted: 2Yr old filly with dubious past

This is a discussion on Honest critique wanted: 2Yr old filly with dubious past within the Horse Conformation Critique forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree17Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-19-2012, 02:18 PM
      #11
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by churumbeque    
    So I am posting 2 different pictures so you get an idea. The driving picture she is pulling her around by her front end. Look at her length of stride, the front is much larger than the rear and she is out of balance.

    I spent many months trying to improve her balance and stride and as you can see her stride is much nicer in the lunging photo. Both of these photo's are when she was 3 in the early stages of training.

    Had I known more ab9out stride I would have started working on this on the ground though as a yearling. I also keep my circles large so not to stress her legs
    thanks so much for your suggestions and for taking the time to post them... I have already started booking bi-monthly 'lessons' with this filly with one of my instructors, of which we have already had one lesson (mostly centered around trust and desensitisation), but I will also show him your comments, so that even if I will struggle on my own, he can work with me to effectively be able to achieve the extension and balance that you mentioned. So don't worry about bombarding me... I am taking notes :)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-19-2012, 02:35 PM
      #12
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians    
    I'm not going to pick on her confo, as I've seen people fall out of love with a perfectly good horse because of someone picking on small or even large faults that don't affect the way the horse goes or its soundness.

    She's a lovely looking little filly who is going to grow up and fill out and be very nice to own. Do you have a 2nd horse who is under saddle, that you either own or can use, to pony her around with? Taking her out on a pony line and riding with her, everywhere over every kind of terrain you can think of, will do WONDERS for her over all shape and it will start getting her ready to be a steady, unflappable mount.
    Your first sentence is one of the most amazing things I have read in a while (especially for the state of mind I am in right now), I will definitely remember it and quote you on that if I may!

    As for ponying her, it actually just thought about it today as well, and I was wondering whether it would be beneficial... so I will definitely start doing that! Thanks so much for the suggestion.

    She certainly does battle a lot with being nervous about a lot of things, she was kept in a small pen for almost two years before she came to me, so its almost like she's been in a sensory deprivation tank in a manner of speaking.

    I have started taking her out on hand-walks on trails recently, and although it started out pretty nerve-wracking, she has made a bunch of progress, which I am so proud of her for.
         
        05-19-2012, 02:39 PM
      #13
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cat    
    Nice job on her so far. In the next 1-2 years she is going to look a lot better as she gets more mature and muscled up. She should look more balanced in time.

    The one thing that I am seeing is she is sickled hocked on the back end. Also, front pasterns look a bit more angled than they should be - but this may be the trim or the way she is standing since she isn't fully squared up.

    What would you like to do with her in the future?
    I didnt get her for a particular job... I just wanted to help out at that point.

    But I ride English, and I wouldn't mind her being a trail companion/pleasure horse and do some lower level competing, in whatever, for fun. If there is something in particular she takes to, I'm all for that!
         
        05-19-2012, 02:46 PM
      #14
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nuala    
    there is definitely something off about her back end. She has a very small him compared to the proportions of the rest of her body and she looks like she might be a little cow-hocked. Her hips might just need proper development to look nicer and once her body and weight get regulated to whatever her job will be, I think, she will start to shape up nicely. In all she is a very lovely looking horse.
    Yes, her butt has been a source of worry for me... but I am feeling a lot better now than before I posted this thread... and really inspired to start working instead of just worrying, if that makes sense.
         
        05-19-2012, 04:24 PM
      #15
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by churumbeque    
    So I am posting 2 different pictures so you get an idea. The driving picture she is pulling her around by her front end. Look at her length of stride, the front is much larger than the rear and she is out of balance.

    I spent many months trying to improve her balance and stride and as you can see her stride is much nicer in the lunging photo. Both of these photo's are when she was 3 in the early stages of training.

    Had I known more ab9out stride I would have started working on this on the ground though as a yearling. I also keep my circles large so not to stress her legs
    Excellent advise.

    I pulled a little skid with my halter horses along with work in a round pen.
         
        05-19-2012, 04:26 PM
      #16
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muumi    
    Yes, her butt has been a source of worry for me... but I am feeling a lot better now than before I posted this thread... and really inspired to start working instead of just worrying, if that makes sense.
    All horses her age will be growing.

    And they all will have faults.
         
        05-19-2012, 05:07 PM
      #17
    Foal
    She looks lovely to me.. Since she's a youngster she's still missing all the muscle that will make her really pretty. I'd guess she has some Quarter in her as she's slightly overbuilt, and most Quarters are. This makes her a bit less suitable for dressage (mainly high degrees of collection), but you said that was not your plan for her, so no biggie. The cow-hocked thing is so slight, that I don't think it will ever be a problem. It might just be a posture thing due to lack or increased tension (unlikely in a young one) of muscles that will completely disappear as you start working her. The way horses hold their body (and where they put their feet) doesn't necessarily have to be a conformation problem, unless they consistently show it as they progress through training (my horse has his front feet slightly turned to the inside, but it doesn't bother him or us in any way).
    muumi likes this.
         
        05-19-2012, 05:40 PM
      #18
    Green Broke
    Her back legs do look a little off to me but....shes a 2 yr old and she's growing so im guessing alot of what looks hinky to me is that she is growing so her hind end in that picture is higher. She looks great tho! Gotta love Palis! I think once you get some more muscle built up shell start shaping up better and be one BEAUTIFUL mare!
    muumi likes this.
         
        05-19-2012, 09:23 PM
      #19
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians    
    I'm not going to pick on her confo, as I've seen people fall out of love with a perfectly good horse because of someone picking on small or even large faults that don't affect the way the horse goes or its soundness.

    She's a lovely looking little filly who is going to grow up and fill out and be very nice to own. Do you have a 2nd horse who is under saddle, that you either own or can use, to pony her around with? Taking her out on a pony line and riding with her, everywhere over every kind of terrain you can think of, will do WONDERS for her over all shape and it will start getting her ready to be a steady, unflappable mount.
    That's the problem with asking for an "honest critique" if it's not what the asker wants (not saying that is the OP). I really don't understand the thought process involved in someone "falling out of love" with their horse just because of something that is said by someone else (especially if that commentary was specifically asked for)
         
        05-19-2012, 11:06 PM
      #20
    Cat
    Green Broke
    If someone falls out of love of a horse over what someone says - they really weren't attached. If its not what someone says then eventually it will be because the horse did something wrong or some other superficial excuse.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Honest critiques wanted! :) sarahkgamble Horse Riding Critique 31 11-14-2011 07:24 PM
    Looking @ Horses....Honest Critique Please! marella916 Horse Riding Critique 4 08-17-2011 02:43 PM
    Honest Critique Please... Be Brutal!!! AngelWithoutWings54 Horse Riding Critique 6 07-09-2010 10:32 AM
    Honest critique please. AztecBaby Horse Riding Critique 8 07-07-2010 06:46 PM
    HONEST opinions and critique mramsay Horse Artwork 20 03-19-2010 03:44 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0