how much can he really change??? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Conformation Critique

how much can he really change???

This is a discussion on how much can he really change??? within the Horse Conformation Critique forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Halter horses are a beauty pageant

Like Tree132Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-06-2013, 09:11 PM
  #11
Foal
Since he's still young, you can't bash his downhill build to much since he's still growing. And from their website, his pasterns aren't too bad! I've seen worse. And yes he is big for a now 2 year old, but I've seen yearlings at quarter horse congress bigger than this pretty boy! Some don't like him, but I'm a head hunter ;) Pretty head gets me every time!

In the end he should level out since he's only 2! And then he should be a well balanced individual, wether he is the most appealing for some to look at or not. Conformation is the basis, and he is built very nicely! Hopefully his hip pops up! Then I'd take him in a heartbeat, he'd be the most balanced horse in my barn!
smguidotti likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-07-2013, 09:20 AM
  #12
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulsiveLucy    
Conformation is the basis, and he is built very nicely! Hopefully his hip pops up! Then I'd take him in a heartbeat, he'd be the most balanced horse in my barn!
I would take exception to that. A post legged horse with upright pasterns and tiny feet is NOT "built nicely". He may conform to an artificial and man made whimsical halter standard, but his conformation is unnatural and not conducive to soundness and athletic ability...
WSArabians, smrobs, NdAppy and 6 others like this.
     
    03-07-2013, 09:35 AM
  #13
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman    
I would take exception to that. A post legged horse with upright pasterns and tiny feet is NOT "built nicely". He may conform to an artificial and man made whimsical halter standard, but his conformation is unnatural and not conducive to soundness and athletic ability...
Welcome to world of halter horses. It's a beauty pageant. They are not designed to perform, they are designed to look pretty. Don't like it, well that's your issue. This horses pasterns really aren't that bad compared to several horses you see in circuit halter classes.

Overall, that horse is better balanced than most horses I see everyday.
     
    03-07-2013, 10:57 AM
  #14
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulsiveLucy    
Welcome to world of halter horses. It's a beauty pageant. They are not designed to perform, they are designed to look pretty. Don't like it, well that's your issue. This horses pasterns really aren't that bad compared to several horses you see in circuit halter classes.

Overall, that horse is better balanced than most horses I see everyday.
Yeah, welcome to the world of halter horses...a world that promotes the breeding of unsound horses. "They are not designed to perform"...thank you for making my point.

Breeding a conformationally unsound animal to meet the whimsical and distorted aesthetic desires of man is, quite frankly, sick...makes no difference if it is a horse, a dog, or any other non food animal.

A halter horse should be an ideal representation of the breed - not some grotesque characature than can barely waddle into the ring on tiptoes. As usual, we have taken things to such an extreme we are producing unnatural physiological specimens, and are breeding away from the form and function nature has taken millions of years to develop. Woohoo - let's pat ourselves on the back...
     
    03-07-2013, 11:07 AM
  #15
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh vair oh    
Pretty sure she is not giving you permission to post her horse's photo on another website.

If you don't like halter, than don't do halter.
What does asking questions about a horse's confo have to do with not liking "halter"? (which I NEVER said)

I didn't take the photo from the ranch website, I found it on a random public blogging site: Kiss My Apps

MY BAD, I FORGOT TO POST THE IMAGE SOURCE
Faceman and smrobs like this.
     
    03-07-2013, 11:16 AM
  #16
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulsiveLucy    
Welcome to world of halter horses. It's a beauty pageant. They are not designed to perform, they are designed to look pretty. Don't like it, well that's your issue.
That should be everyone's issue, the bolded is just plain scary Next we will be wheeling them into the ring on a handcart, because they can't perform the basic of walking from one place to another
     
    03-07-2013, 11:19 AM
  #17
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by smguidotti    
What does asking questions about a horse's confo have to do with not liking "halter"? (which I NEVER said)
Yup, and there is nothing intrinsically wrong with halter as a discipline or breeding halter horses. But there is a line that shouldn't be crossed, and that line is breeding to the extent of destroying form and function. It is often done with halter horses, and it is done with racing Throughbreds. Adequate bone, hooves, and proper conformation for soundness should always be a prime objective - they shouldn't be sacrificed for arbitrary aesthetics or for speed. It is just fine to breed for aesthetics, speed, or whatever, but it should be within the confines of soundness...
     
    03-07-2013, 11:23 AM
  #18
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulsiveLucy    
Welcome to world of halter horses. It's a beauty pageant. They are not designed to perform, they are designed to look pretty. Don't like it, well that's your issue. This horses pasterns really aren't that bad compared to several horses you see in circuit halter classes.

Overall, that horse is better balanced than most horses I see everyday.
HOLY CRAP! THAT IS HORRIBLE!

Why would people do that to an animal? Intentionally breeding in traits that just flat are detrimental, just for the sake of "pretty"? That's **** near as bad as foot binding in my mind...but I guess the breeders don't care...it's only an animal after all... ='(
     
    03-07-2013, 11:29 AM
  #19
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horse    
That should be everyone's issue, the bolded is just plain scary Next we will be wheeling them into the ring on a handcart, because they can't perform the basic of walking from one place to another

But, they'll look really pretty , sitting on the hand cart. Really pretty.
     
    03-07-2013, 11:29 AM
  #20
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonwolfmoon    
HOLY CRAP! THAT IS HORRIBLE!

Why would people do that to an animal? Intentionally breeding in traits that just flat are detrimental, just for the sake of "pretty"? That's **** near as bad as foot binding in my mind...but I guess the breeders don't care...it's only an animal after all... ='(
I liked that, but wanted to have a don't like, as in I totally agree with what you are saying but it's a horrible thing to say!
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does this change how you think? Inga Horse Riding 28 07-01-2013 03:40 AM
What would you add/change? Hijack Horse Nutrition 8 04-29-2011 08:04 AM
How they change. smrobs Horse Pictures 12 10-04-2010 01:05 AM
Wow, Some change!!! smrobs Horse Pictures 12 01-04-2010 12:07 AM
Any Change? Abby Horse Riding Critique 9 07-06-2008 08:48 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0