Need very honest critiques
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Conformation Critique

Need very honest critiques

This is a discussion on Need very honest critiques within the Horse Conformation Critique forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree16Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        10-12-2013, 10:49 PM
      #1
    Weanling
    Need very honest critiques

    I have put my horse Bucky up for sale, and I admit, I love him so much I am blind to his potential faults. I have my own mind set of what his conformational faults are, but I want to hear other opinions, as I believe I will get some and want to be prepared.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg iPhone 169.jpg (98.6 KB, 202 views)
    File Type: jpg iPhone 176.jpg (99.9 KB, 197 views)
    File Type: jpg iPhone 221.jpg (98.7 KB, 197 views)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        10-12-2013, 11:03 PM
      #2
    Weanling
    I love his coloring so much! What I see (and I'm very new to this to take others more seriously), he seems to stand under himself, and has a bit of a ewe neck. He also might have a straight shoulder but I'm not sure?

    He is gorgeous in my opinion and I'm sorry you have to sell him!
         
        10-12-2013, 11:10 PM
      #3
    Trained
    He is not well muscled/toned/in shape at all.

    He has great shine to his coat and appears healthy, but...I would fatten that horse right up. (Muscle would gain he's worked and getting more calories)

    I do not like his neck. Its thin, long and ewe shaped.

    He has a straight shoulder which is going to make for a choppier right as he physically will be unable to extend his front legs freely.

    He has a long back, is a bit down hill. Weak hind end. Long, skinny pasterns...could lead to lameness issues and will limit what he can do. Strenuous activities, jumping, reining, barrel racing would be out for him In my book.

    Slightly sickle hocked. And it looks like he stands under himself in the front.

    Sorry, you asked for honest....
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        10-12-2013, 11:24 PM
      #4
    Started
    I see an ewe neck and somewhat light on bone, maybe long pasterns. Not very well muscled, but how old is he? Good shine to his coat, and I bet with good proper work his body and neck would fill out, especially if the ewe neck is from traveling hollowed out with his head up. He doesn't have any glaring conformational faults that would lead me to think he'd have any lameness issues as a pleasure horse or light competition, and with his eye-catching color, I think he should sell fairly easily if he's sane, sound, and trained. (I, however, am NO expert!)
    Dustbunny likes this.
         
        10-13-2013, 12:02 AM
      #5
    Green Broke
    Cute but not great conformation. I like his back end more than the front. I agree with him needing conditioning. He looks healthy and loved so the rest should come along with a little attention. What are you selling him as? I think he'd be a great backyard buddy (meaning pleasure/trail/low competition/"friend"). I wouldn't sell him as a competition horse for anything strenuous.
         
        10-13-2013, 12:25 AM
      #6
    Trained
    I agree with the others that his confo isn't great, but muscled up and with some weight on him, he might make a good pleasure horse. I don't know what you're asking but to get anywhere near a decent price, he needs a good bit of weight AND muscle put on him. He also needs worked on rounding from the poll (will re-shape his neck somewhat) and bringing his back up. Get him to travel rounded up and muscle him up and he'll look a LOT better than he does right now.
         
        10-13-2013, 12:38 AM
      #7
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yogiwick    
    Cute but not great conformation. I like his back end more than the front. I agree with him needing conditioning. He looks healthy and loved so the rest should come along with a little attention. What are you selling him as? I think he'd be a great backyard buddy (meaning pleasure/trail/low competition/"friend"). I wouldn't sell him as a competition horse for anything strenuous.
    We are selling him as a well broke, well trained horse.

    I don't ride him. At all - I only get to ride 3 times a week, and my mare does endurance and needs the conditioning more ... and I cannot pony him. My arm gets pulled out of the socket because my mare is a FAST mover (she is like "Buh-Bye Buckskin!"). There is a girl schooling him for Hunter/Jumper at the boarding barn (he is already schooled Western and neck reins, side passes and spins - you can ride him in a neck rope only if need be). But the HJ girl only believes in working horses 30 minutes at a time, and she doesn't ride every day, so I definitely think he could use more exercise. Mostly kids ride him walk ... maybe a trot. If they are in the arena I can walk and he will follow me all the time (no lead rope), around obstacles, through obstacles, over low cross rails, so it is fun for the kids especially if they just can't ride and make a horse go where they want. Our kids ride on him but they mostly end up playing on him like a jungle gym. They slide off his butt, ride him together, lay on him, get him to follow them ... that sort of stuff. I can't get either one of them to take riding seriously. He was my husband's horse and he truly was a "husband horse". He goes everywhere. He is pretty much unflappable.


    Don't worry about being honest. I am just glad his personality makes up for a lot. He LOVES his people.
         
        10-13-2013, 01:07 AM
      #8
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2SCHorses    
    We are selling him as a well broke, well trained horse.

    I don't ride him. At all - I only get to ride 3 times a week, and my mare does endurance and needs the conditioning more ... and I cannot pony him. My arm gets pulled out of the socket because my mare is a FAST mover (she is like "Buh-Bye Buckskin!"). There is a girl schooling him for Hunter/Jumper at the boarding barn (he is already schooled Western and neck reins, side passes and spins - you can ride him in a neck rope only if need be). But the HJ girl only believes in working horses 30 minutes at a time, and she doesn't ride every day, so I definitely think he could use more exercise. Mostly kids ride him walk ... maybe a trot. If they are in the arena I can walk and he will follow me all the time (no lead rope), around obstacles, through obstacles, over low cross rails, so it is fun for the kids especially if they just can't ride and make a horse go where they want. Our kids ride on him but they mostly end up playing on him like a jungle gym. They slide off his butt, ride him together, lay on him, get him to follow them ... that sort of stuff. I can't get either one of them to take riding seriously. He was my husband's horse and he truly was a "husband horse". He goes everywhere. He is pretty much unflappable.


    Don't worry about being honest. I am just glad his personality makes up for a lot. He LOVES his people.
    Even if you can't exercise him and muscle him up, you can FEED him. He needs weight. I don't know where you are in the country, but here in OK, he'd got for $750 in his current condition because he'd have to be fed up and winter is coming. Not trying to be rough on you but in his current condition, I'd skip right over him if I was looking at horses to buy.
         
        10-13-2013, 01:28 AM
      #9
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians    
    Even if you can't exercise him and muscle him up, you can FEED him. He needs weight. I don't know where you are in the country, but here in OK, he'd got for $750 in his current condition because he'd have to be fed up and winter is coming. Not trying to be rough on you but in his current condition, I'd skip right over him if I was looking at horses to buy.
    Yeah, I FEED him.

    We are in Savannah, Georgia and had a HOT summer and I am pretty freaking sure it won't snow anytime before ... the apocalypse. Up until this year he has lived outside 24/7 without ANY problems.

    He saw the vet this summer for his dental float and she said his condition was "perfect for his lack of work" - her exact words. He gets free choice, high quality hay 24/7, vitamin concentrate and Seminole 12%. He eats whatever he wants. He's been wormed (fecal done by the vet), and he is HEALTHY.
         
        10-13-2013, 12:21 PM
      #10
    Green Broke
    If you want to get him into condition he needs real work. It's fantastic (and a selling point) that he is such a great kids horse, but that won't get him where he needs to be. He would be even more handsome with great muscling and condition and it would help hide his faults (noticeably neck).

    Some of the best riders I know ride for 30 minutes. It is the type of riding not the length (and of course how often).
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Be honest...... alexis rose Horse Talk 6 10-07-2012 10:27 PM
    Be honest here..how do you... angelghost Horse Talk 94 10-03-2012 06:06 PM
    Honest Critiques on my Equitation finn113 English Riding 17 08-28-2012 03:05 PM
    Honest critiques wanted! :) sarahkgamble Horse Riding Critique 31 11-14-2011 08:24 PM
    jumping vid honest critiques plz rachealwatkins Horse Riding Critique 2 04-05-2008 06:21 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:30 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0