OTTB's Of Course! - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 Old 03-26-2013, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,117
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer View Post
This is my ex-racing TB. He doesn't look like a 'typical' TB either, being shorter than most at 15.2 and rather chunky.
He is a looker! Wowzer!
KylieHuitema is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 22 Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,957
• Horses: 0
I would like #2 the best, BUT I find those prices insane!

If you want an OTTB, I always recommend contacting local trainers and ask if they have any slowboats. Seriously, you could land yourself a perfectly good horse for 1/8 the price of some of those. With the amount you would save you could get your PPE done and also enlist the help of a trainer if you wanted. Just my two cents :)
Speed Racer likes this.

Stop for a minute, open your mind, learn. You may not agree with what I say, I may not agree with what you say but we will both learn something new.
Maple is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 03-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Teen Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South East Texas
Posts: 7,157
• Horses: 2
^ this.
If you have the experience, and someone to go with you as a second opinion (or in my case,to keep me from bringing home the sorriest looking animal out there because I feel bad for it. LOL) going directly to the track or even to one of their auctions is a great idea. We got two of our OTTBs from straight off of the track and loved them. One was a older 17.3hh gelding who had been used to pony the other racehorses so was already partially retrained/let down, the other was a chestnut mare with a great track record. We got one of them for $100, and the other for $300.

Everyone in your life is meant to
be in your journey, but not all of
them are meant to stay till the end.
Endiku is offline  
post #14 of 22 Old 03-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Just south of sanity
Posts: 16,188
• Horses: 3
Excellent advice, Maple. I got JJ from his trainer for free. He just didn't want to race. Of course, I had to take him to a local trainer I trust to retrain him as an under saddle horse, so he didn't stay free!

Many times trainers will give away their charges rather than ask money for them, knowing that people will have to spend a goodly amount to get them retrained.

JJ'd only been off the track since August when I picked him up in October of 2009. Hard to believe he'll be with me 4 years this October.

You want the truth? You can't HANDLE the truth!
Speed Racer is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 03-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,957
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer View Post
Excellent advice, Maple. I got JJ from his trainer for free. He just didn't want to race. Of course, I had to take him to a local trainer I trust to retrain him as an under saddle horse, so he didn't stay free!

Many times trainers will give away their charges rather than ask money for them, knowing that people will have to spend a goodly amount to get them retrained.

JJ'd only been off the track since August when I picked him up in October of 2009. Hard to believe he'll be with me 4 years this October.
JJ wants to come be friends with Bandit by the way I'm a sucker for a chesnut.

We give away between 5 - 10 horses a year at work. My boss refuses to keep on training something that either isn't good enough or has no interest in the job. As with most trainers, he would much rather give a horse to a good home then have it left standing in a stall. I spent a few days last year calling around to polo yards as we had a filly who was just too small. Quite often the lads in the yard will take one they are particularly fond of, but if people contact us lookin to rehome one we always keep them on file and invite them to come see the horse.

Stop for a minute, open your mind, learn. You may not agree with what I say, I may not agree with what you say but we will both learn something new.
Maple is offline  
post #16 of 22 Old 03-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Just south of sanity
Posts: 16,188
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieHuitema View Post
He is a looker! Wowzer!
Thank you, I think so too!

Maple, chestnut is my favorite color. My first two horses were chestnut, although my heart horse was a bay. My fourth and fifth horses are gray and bay, and I finally got another chestnut when I got JJ as my sixth horse. I only have 3 at the moment, which consists of the gray (Casper), the bay (Mack), and chestnut (JJ).

JJ ain't goin' nowhere without me, so you'll have to take us as a package deal!

You want the truth? You can't HANDLE the truth!
Speed Racer is offline  
post #17 of 22 Old 03-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,957
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer View Post
Thank you, I think so too!

Maple, chestnut is my favorite color. My first two horses were chestnut, although my heart horse was a bay. My fourth and fifth horses are gray and bay, and I finally got another chestnut when I got JJ as my sixth horse. I only have 3 at the moment, which consists of the gray (Casper), the bay (Mack), and chestnut (JJ).

JJ ain't goin' nowhere without me, so you'll have to take us as a package deal!
Ah sure, I could think of worse company!

I always loved chesnuts, but also always loved the coloured horses so it's no wonder I ended up with the one I have now. My dream horse is a chesnut with a big white face and four white stockings.

Stop for a minute, open your mind, learn. You may not agree with what I say, I may not agree with what you say but we will both learn something new.
Maple is offline  
post #18 of 22 Old 03-26-2013, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,117
• Horses: 4
I'm just concerned about contacting trainers and such, since our Equine Dentist does a lot of tracks around here and most of the trainers he deals with drugs their horses if people are interested in them. :/ If that's the case, I could get a free, kind horse which turns insane once the drugs wear off.

And I do believe I have the skills to train an OTTB since I have been riding 10+ years, and my horse is incredibly hot and highheaded, the other is strong, hard mouthed and needs soft hands. I've even ridden an insane saddleseat horse and have been able to get her to calm down better than her owner! Not to mention my head is in books most of the time, researching many methods of horsemanship.

Plus there is countless trainers around here, specifically a dressage trainer who reabilitates OTTB all the time!
KylieHuitema is offline  
post #19 of 22 Old 03-26-2013, 11:17 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,957
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieHuitema View Post
I'm just concerned about contacting trainers and such, since our Equine Dentist does a lot of tracks around here and most of the trainers he deals with drugs their horses if people are interested in them. :/ If that's the case, I could get a free, kind horse which turns insane once the drugs wear off.
When you get a PPE done, get bloods pulled. I would find it hard to believe that they would drug a horse in training, as there are very strict withdrawl periods for the horse to race again, and if the horse is stabled on the racecourse chances are they will want it to run whenever the right race comes up for it.

The majority of trainers are not "big evil and horrible people", who drug and abuse their horses. The majority are into racing due to the love of the horse. Alot of trainers scrape by from week to week to continue doing what they are doing, and would likely make more money with half the stress, if they were to do another job.

You can find trainers by going on equibase and looking up the stats from your local track, this will give you names and then do your research and find numbers.
heymckate likes this.

Stop for a minute, open your mind, learn. You may not agree with what I say, I may not agree with what you say but we will both learn something new.
Maple is offline  
post #20 of 22 Old 03-26-2013, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,117
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple View Post
When you get a PPE done, get bloods pulled. I would find it hard to believe that they would drug a horse in training, as there are very strict withdrawl periods for the horse to race again, and if the horse is stabled on the racecourse chances are they will want it to run whenever the right race comes up for it.

The majority of trainers are not "big evil and horrible people", who drug and abuse their horses. The majority are into racing due to the love of the horse. Alot of trainers scrape by from week to week to continue doing what they are doing, and would likely make more money with half the stress, if they were to do another job.

You can find trainers by going on equibase and looking up the stats from your local track, this will give you names and then do your research and find numbers.

I will try that out. The big problem of our dentist saying that is my parents heard and they automatically think the worst of things, just like an emaciated filly we almost got until they heard the joints could be off. If I had a job and the money, I wouldn't really go by what they thought on any horse :b But sadly, I'm an unemployed teenager.

I will definitely check out the site though!
KylieHuitema is offline  
Reply

Tags
conformation , ottb , thoroughbred

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our 2 new OTTB's rlr21791 Horse Pictures 6 10-11-2012 09:17 PM
Need some serious help on this ottb please! TangoFever Horse Nutrition 21 10-11-2012 01:48 AM
My first ottb Rachelconley Horse Talk 11 02-09-2012 07:41 PM
OTTB's :) promisethestars Horse Talk 0 01-27-2011 08:35 AM
How is my OTTB looking? SaratogaTB Horse Health 5 08-02-2010 11:13 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome