Paint mare critique - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Conformation Critique

Paint mare critique

This is a discussion on Paint mare critique within the Horse Conformation Critique forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree2Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        12-08-2012, 12:25 AM
      #11
    Foal
    About 4 to 6 months. The first photos were taken when we went to look about buying her. The last picture was after we had had her a while (and she had been worked less since we had her so maybe that made a difference I'm not sure)
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        12-08-2012, 11:06 AM
      #12
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Allegro    
    About 4 to 6 months. The first photos were taken when we went to look about buying her. The last picture was after we had had her a while (and she had been worked less since we had her so maybe that made a difference I'm not sure)
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Yeah, figured out it was the stupid computer messing with the photo, not the horse. Lol. Her back and coupling look fine.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        12-08-2012, 11:20 AM
      #13
    Foal
    What does 'back in the knee' mean?
    Thanks!
         
        12-08-2012, 11:39 AM
      #14
    Showing
    Back at the knee means that the cannon bone is set slightly behind the forearm at the knee joint. In a horse with straight legs, you should be able to put a dot at the elbow, knee and fetlock, and when they're connected, draw a straight line through them. If you do the same thing on a horse that is back at the knee, your line will angle backward from the knee to fetlock.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        12-08-2012, 11:43 AM
      #15
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum    
    Back at the knee means that the cannon bone is set slightly behind the forearm at the knee joint. In a horse with straight legs, you should be able to put a dot at the elbow, knee and fetlock, and when they're connected, draw a straight line through them. If you do the same thing on a horse that is back at the knee, your line will angle backward from the knee to fetlock.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Thanks!
    And how would back in the knee be troublesome in conformation?

    Thanks so much~ appreciate it.
         
        12-08-2012, 11:52 AM
      #16
    Showing
    Being back at the knee puts uneven stress/wear on the knee joint, which can lead to soundness issues and arthritis. Being slightly back isn't a major cause for concern, just something to be aware of as the horse gets older and is used more.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        12-08-2012, 12:01 PM
      #17
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum    
    Being back at the knee puts uneven stress/wear on the knee joint, which can lead to soundness issues and arthritis. Being slightly back isn't a major cause for concern, just something to be aware of as the horse gets older and is used more.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Thanks!
    And, this kind of communication and educating is exactly what makes this forum a valuable one.
         
        12-08-2012, 12:08 PM
      #18
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Catpeedontherug    
    Thanks!
    And, this kind of communication and educating is exactly what makes this forum a valuable one.
    Not a problem at all. I wasn't big into conformation until I got my gelding. I knew some of the major conformation issues and could spot them, but the more subtle problems (like back at the knee and tied in behind the knee) were not something I could readily spot or know the consequences of. When I got my gelding and decided I wanted to eventually event with him, I started educating myself on conformation so I could determine how suitable he is to the discipline and how far we can go.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         

    Tags
    mare, paint, standing square

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Critique 13 yr Paint/QH mare Tessa7707 Horse Conformation Critique 3 11-30-2012 01:57 PM
    Critique Paint mare? Goosey Horse Conformation Critique 7 09-02-2012 09:59 AM
    Paint mare, critique please! jingojewel Horse Conformation Critique 13 06-20-2012 06:54 PM
    Please critique my new paint mare! TrailxxRider Horse Breeds 5 03-08-2012 06:38 PM
    Paint Mare Critique ButtInTheDirt Horse Riding Critique 11 07-18-2011 12:47 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:12 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0