Possible future buy - any input?

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Conformation Critique

Possible future buy - any input?

This is a discussion on Possible future buy - any input? within the Horse Conformation Critique forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By aerie

    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-03-2013, 02:04 PM
    Possible future buy - any input?

    Sooooo after four years of college I am about to graduate :) I have a couple of job offers and have been seriously looking at horses because I am ready to own again :) I was randomly on horse clicks, not really expecting anything when this girl popped up

    Registered Arabian Saddlebred Mare for sale in Dowagiac, Michigan :: HorseClicks

    For whatever reason I am really drawn to this mare and she is a grand total of 30 minutes from my mother's house and 1 hour from the barn I would be able to keep her at.

    I am looking into getting back into showing, jumping, and some trail riding. I know that the pictures aren't the greatest for critiquing but do you guys see any glaring faults? I am in contact with her owner and am hoping to be able to see her in person either this next weekend or early next week so I'll have better pictures then :) but I'm just too excited not to ask for input!
    Sponsored Links
        11-03-2013, 05:02 PM
    Considering how fabulous that price is I'm surprised she isnt yours already!

    I don't see anything that would make me run away in those pictures. She looks quite lovely.

    But let me play devil's advocate for a second. Are you financially prepared to foot the bill for keeping a horse directly out of college? (I know I sure wasn't.) Do you have a good chunk of $$ as an emergency fund in case she has unexpected medical issues, or even just $$ for good routine care? If not, think about waiting a bit before committing to horse ownership right now. If you're financially OK, knowing what general expenses are in your area, then why not?
        11-03-2013, 05:11 PM
    I have a good bit saved away, and an since I work for a stable (and manage a horse camp in the summer) she would have free board and I would pay only for vet and farrier until my big girl job kicked in then because I have already talked things over with barn owner (and we are pretty close) the board would be reduced in exchange for barn chores a few times a week, which I had planned on anyway :) and with a good couple of job offers already in hand after I graduate the only thing keeping me from driving to get her is that I still have to finish the semester lol I have been trying to tell myself to wait a little longer because it just seems too perfect an opportunity! But everything just keeps falling into place and my gut is telling me to go for it...
        11-03-2013, 05:28 PM
    Wow, you are way ahead of me when I graduated Good on you!

    Guts are rarely wrong. GO GIT HER!!!
        11-03-2013, 05:36 PM
    Thanks!!! I really worked my butt off, especially since I switched my major a few times, I just felt like I had to do something productive money-wise since I was so indecisive at first!
    Weezilla likes this.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Looking towards the future Roperchick Horse Jobs 1 02-17-2012 08:15 AM
    To the Future Roperchick Horse Training 2 10-12-2011 01:47 AM
    Future Buy Needs Crit Stoddard Horse Riding Critique 1 07-02-2011 04:57 PM
    one for the future jimmy Driving 10 12-04-2009 05:30 PM
    His future. sillybunny11486 Horse Training 14 11-22-2009 10:08 AM

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 AM.

    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0