Potential Buy Critique Wanted - Page 2 - The Horse Forum

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 Old 01-18-2012, 08:30 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: in the barn
Posts: 1,170
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum View Post
Her hind legs look a little posty to me. Very straight through the hock. In some of the pics her shoulder angle looks great...in others, it looks pretty upright. I'm not sure why, but her pasterns, especially her rears, look long and spindly to me, but it's only in the one pic where she's actually standing mostly square (that third pic).

Overall, she's cute and looks to be very sensible. She could use to lose a few pounds, but once she's in shape, I bet she'll be quite a looker.

A note on stud chains: If you horse doesn't need it, don't use it. Take it off completely. Stud chains can be VERY harsh. If she were to stop on her lead with the stud chain on like that, she could do some serious damage. I've only known one horse who actually NEEDED a stud chain and he's an arab gelding that came from a show barn and is a bit insane.
agreed. I would absolutely never use a stud chain unless it is 100% called for. My mare does need one, not all the time of course, but sometimes she does need one. I feel terrible having to use it, but sometimes that's all she needs to put her in check is to even look at the thing. If I am not using it it's not even on the lead/in my hand/or otherwise. It's not on any part of her/her lead until absolutely necessary.
beverleyy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 28 Old 01-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 15,182
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beverleyy View Post
agreed. I would absolutely never use a stud chain unless it is 100% called for. My mare does need one, not all the time of course, but sometimes she does need one. I feel terrible having to use it, but sometimes that's all she needs to put her in check is to even look at the thing. If I am not using it it's not even on the lead/in my hand/or otherwise. It's not on any part of her/her lead until absolutely necessary.
Glad to hear.

http://i42.tinypic.com/140y8lj.png
Do not tell me I can't...because I will show you that I can.
DraftyAiresMum is online now  
post #13 of 28 Old 01-18-2012, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boondocks, Maine
Posts: 446
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by beverleyy View Post
that mare doesn't even look like she needs the chain in the first place ..

On another note, yes I do think she'd make a cute english pony. I'd love to see under saddle pictures, she's quite adorable! What's her height?
Between 14.1hh and 14.3.
Sinister is offline  
post #14 of 28 Old 01-18-2012, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boondocks, Maine
Posts: 446
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum View Post
Her hind legs look a little posty to me. Very straight through the hock. In some of the pics her shoulder angle looks great...in others, it looks pretty upright. I'm not sure why, but her pasterns, especially her rears, look long and spindly to me, but it's only in the one pic where she's actually standing mostly square (that third pic).

Overall, she's cute and looks to be very sensible. She could use to lose a few pounds, but once she's in shape, I bet she'll be quite a looker.

A note on stud chains: If you horse doesn't need it, don't use it. Take it off completely. Stud chains can be VERY harsh. If she were to stop on her lead with the stud chain on like that, she could do some serious damage. I've only known one horse who actually NEEDED a stud chain and he's an arab gelding that came from a show barn and is a bit insane.
Again, I hardly ever use a stud chain unless one of my horses is feeling rather fresh. I'm not the one that took the pictures or put the stud chain on her. I agree she shouldn't have been left there with the chain on her nose and the lead hanging there for her to step on. And on another note just like bits stud chains are only as harsh as you make them. I've seen a person hauling on there horse with just a regular halter and cotton lead and thought it was harsher then people who use the chain.
Sinister is offline  
post #15 of 28 Old 01-19-2012, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boondocks, Maine
Posts: 446
• Horses: 4
Went and saw her this morning, picking her up this Saturday! I'll get better conformation pictures and start a new thread for a really good critique. And give some more info about her.
Skyseternalangel likes this.
Sinister is offline  
post #16 of 28 Old 01-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northwestern Pennsylvania
Posts: 420
• Horses: 3
Woo Hoo! Congrats!
AndreaSctlnd is offline  
post #17 of 28 Old 01-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: in the barn
Posts: 1,170
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
Went and saw her this morning, picking her up this Saturday! I'll get better conformation pictures and start a new thread for a really good critique. And give some more info about her.
I'm excited to see pictures of her under saddle! She's actually very cute! I love ponies
beverleyy is offline  
post #18 of 28 Old 01-19-2012, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boondocks, Maine
Posts: 446
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by beverleyy View Post
I'm excited to see pictures of her under saddle! She's actually very cute! I love ponies
Ponies are the best, partly because there isn't far till you hit the ground.
Sinister is offline  
post #19 of 28 Old 01-20-2012, 01:59 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: in the barn
Posts: 1,170
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
Ponies are the best, partly because there isn't far till you hit the ground.
I've learned this one a few times! I would much rather have a fall off my pony than my horse, thankfully the majority of my falls have been off my pony .....so far!
beverleyy is offline  
post #20 of 28 Old 01-20-2012, 02:12 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16,606
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
I've seen a person hauling on there horse with just a regular halter and cotton lead and thought it was harsher then people who use the chain.
I've been stalking this thread (lol) but yeah I have seen that too.. very very sad. I try to stay off of my horse's face as much as possible. I use the leadrope for pressure or cues though I do teach my horse to respond to feel from the halter. But I would NEVER haul on his face without a good reason! I've used a stud chain on a few mares before. Not my idea, but I didn't like what I saw. Some good respect refreshers and groundwork would have helped them out, instead of making them behave via pain on their nose :/ just my opinion though.

"Strength is the ability to use a muscle without tension"
Skyseternalangel is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please critique potential buy... dop Horse Conformation Critique 10 01-18-2012 09:30 AM
Critique Potential Buy LoveTheSaddlebreds Horse Riding Critique 7 10-23-2011 09:56 AM
Potential buy - Please Critique LauraLA Horse Riding Critique 8 04-13-2011 10:41 AM
Potential Buy. Please Critique. ak_showgirl Horse Riding Critique 14 05-11-2009 04:50 PM
Critique on potential buy Gingerrrrr Horse Riding Critique 12 08-20-2008 02:14 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome