Potential Buy, Thoughts? - Page 9 - The Horse Forum
 67Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 99 Old 09-09-2013, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 869
• Horses: 2
Also, both parents are negative for HYPP (Or what the initials are). So under AQHA that makes the colt/filly automatically negative. Also belief is if she was positive for HYPP she wouldn't have been able to survive the cowboy training.
Aesthetic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #82 of 99 Old 09-09-2013, 09:32 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Higgins, TX. YeeHaw!!
Posts: 21,973
• Horses: 24
She's not a bad looking little mare. She's got a ton more bone and a lot better angles in her legs than most halter bred horses. I question the "started right" part of it if they put a picture in the ad of her with her reins around the saddle to set her head, but if you're okay with re-training that, then I'd say go look at her.

Always remember that feeling of looking at a big, open country over the ears of a good horse, seeing a new trail unwind ahead of you, and that ever-spectacular view from the top of the ridge!!! Follow my training blog: http://robertsontraining.blogspot.com/
smrobs is offline  
post #83 of 99 Old 09-09-2013, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 869
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs View Post
She's not a bad looking little mare. She's got a ton more bone and a lot better angles in her legs than most halter bred horses. I question the "started right" part of it if they put a picture in the ad of her with her reins around the saddle to set her head, but if you're okay with re-training that, then I'd say go look at her.
I asked about the started right, she said that she meant ground up. Lots of introduction and and manners. Vocal commands and respect, than worked with it under saddle. The reins are held infront of her in the picture, the ropes from the bit to the saddle were an act of a german martingale.
I agree she has more bone, how do her hocks look. Decently angled?
Aesthetic is offline  
post #84 of 99 Old 09-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Higgins, TX. YeeHaw!!
Posts: 21,973
• Horses: 24
Because her tail is in the way on that one side picture, I can't tell the exact angle, but they don't appear overly straight.

Unlike a lot of folks, I don't hold an aversion to halter bred horses for performance disciplines...so long as they've got the conformation to stand up to it. Heck, I used to have a grandson of Impressive who was a stellar team roping and reining horse.
Aesthetic likes this.

Always remember that feeling of looking at a big, open country over the ears of a good horse, seeing a new trail unwind ahead of you, and that ever-spectacular view from the top of the ridge!!! Follow my training blog: http://robertsontraining.blogspot.com/
smrobs is offline  
post #85 of 99 Old 09-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 1,042
• Horses: 0
I think she looks decent from a conformation standpoint. Better bone, legs, pasterns and feet than many halter bred horses. Her neck is a little thick, and shoulder fairly upright, but I think she looks like she could be pretty powerful through her hind end.
Aesthetic likes this.
Tryst is offline  
post #86 of 99 Old 09-09-2013, 10:20 PM
Teen Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South East Texas
Posts: 7,155
• Horses: 2
Her front legs look funky to me, but I can't tell if its just the picture or not. Almost seems like her entire left fore is crooked and lighter boned than the other?

Everyone in your life is meant to
be in your journey, but not all of
them are meant to stay till the end.
Endiku is offline  
post #87 of 99 Old 09-09-2013, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 869
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endiku View Post
Her front legs look funky to me, but I can't tell if its just the picture or not. Almost seems like her entire left fore is crooked and lighter boned than the other?
I just went back and looked, I can't tell either lol
Aesthetic is offline  
post #88 of 99 Old 09-10-2013, 01:04 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 47
• Horses: 5
The only stock horses I have a hot clue about Other than the Goers Design babies are the Obvious Conclusion kids because I delt with quite a few and had a daughter. The geldings were worth their weight in gold as junior WP horses. They did GREAT as WP horses and had the best minds for a junior rider. They learned fast, didn't fuss, weren't spooky, once they learned their job you could leave them for months, load them up, go to a show and they were flawless. You could go down the trails and take them swimming, push cows, use them as a pack horse, teach a few lessons and then show on them. Just fantastic all round horses. The mares OTOH could be wonderful like the gelding or could be a nightmare. They seem to be a bit flakier. Some had to be on regumate or they were basket cases, some would fight you every day over stupid little things like going past a rock they had seen for the last 6 years of their life, some disliked people and were just misserable to ride ( ears pinned, tail whipping), some were very dominante and beat the tar out of the other horses, some were neurotic and would walk the fence, keeping them sound was neigh impossible. The geldings seemed to be spared this, it was just the mares that were nuts. Not all of them but enough to make you wonder.
Teekin is offline  
post #89 of 99 Old 09-10-2013, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 869
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekin View Post
The only stock horses I have a hot clue about Other than the Goers Design babies are the Obvious Conclusion kids because I delt with quite a few and had a daughter. The geldings were worth their weight in gold as junior WP horses. They did GREAT as WP horses and had the best minds for a junior rider. They learned fast, didn't fuss, weren't spooky, once they learned their job you could leave them for months, load them up, go to a show and they were flawless. You could go down the trails and take them swimming, push cows, use them as a pack horse, teach a few lessons and then show on them. Just fantastic all round horses. The mares OTOH could be wonderful like the gelding or could be a nightmare. They seem to be a bit flakier. Some had to be on regumate or they were basket cases, some would fight you every day over stupid little things like going past a rock they had seen for the last 6 years of their life, some disliked people and were just misserable to ride ( ears pinned, tail whipping), some were very dominante and beat the tar out of the other horses, some were neurotic and would walk the fence, keeping them sound was neigh impossible. The geldings seemed to be spared this, it was just the mares that were nuts. Not all of them but enough to make you wonder.
I was told she was a tail whipper and is a dominate mare. That's all. Ill have her at my place for a week before we decide to buy.
smrobs likes this.
Aesthetic is offline  
post #90 of 99 Old 09-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 47
• Horses: 5
Well as a gaming horse the 'tude might just be a PIA but you know that in a rail class that tail and those ears will knock you right out of the ribbons. I will say that those Obvious C. Mares were TOUGH as a coffin nail and seem to be athletic as heck if you could get them to do the work. Just a matter of what you are willing to trade off. You may get a great athlete at a very good price because she is such a snot-nose to ride. That was the only way I ended up have horses with Any talent at all when I was younger. Good luck to you.
Teekin is offline  
Reply

Tags
craigslist paint quarter

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts on potential western saddle pads SEAmom Horse Tack and Equipment 10 01-22-2013 01:47 PM
Potential buy - thoughts on conformation? NMdressage Horse Conformation Critique 10 10-19-2012 12:11 AM
Two potential horses to lease: thoughts on which might be a better dressage partner? dutchess Dressage 13 02-28-2011 11:22 AM
Thoughts on Potential Mare [[TB]] XxHunterJumperxX Horse Riding Critique 8 08-17-2010 08:15 PM
Potential Buy?!? FGRanch Horse Riding Critique 12 03-03-2009 08:00 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome