sickle hocks? - The Horse Forum

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 01-12-2013, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Usa
Posts: 858
• Horses: 0
sickle hocks?



horsecrazygirl13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 01-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Higgins, TX. YeeHaw!!
Posts: 22,112
• Horses: 24
No, the appearance of the hocks being sickled is just because he's standing camped under. Actually, his hind legs are very, very posty.

A horse that is truly sickle hocked will show it when the points of their hocks are close to lined up vertically with the point of their buttocks.

This horse is sickle hocked.
Faceman likes this.

Always remember that feeling of looking at a big, open country over the ears of a good horse, seeing a new trail unwind ahead of you, and that ever-spectacular view from the top of the ridge!!! Follow my training blog: http://robertsontraining.blogspot.com/
smrobs is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 01-12-2013, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Usa
Posts: 858
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs View Post
No, the appearance of the hocks being sickled is just because he's standing camped under. Actually, his hind legs are very, very posty.

A horse that is truly sickle hocked will show it when the points of their hocks are close to lined up vertically with the point of their buttocks.

This horse is sickle hocked.
You don't know what a relief this is!
Is posty a problem?
horsecrazygirl13 is offline  
post #4 of 23 Old 01-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Higgins, TX. YeeHaw!!
Posts: 22,112
• Horses: 24
It can be. When the leg is too straight, then there is no shock absorption and it causes a lot of concussion on the joints in that leg and can lead to soundness problems...not to mention being jarring and uncomfortable for the rider. In addition to that, horses that don't have proper angle in their legs will have a great deal of difficulty using their body properly and it is virtually impossible to get a decent level of collection and/or gait extension from them.
GotaDunQH likes this.

Always remember that feeling of looking at a big, open country over the ears of a good horse, seeing a new trail unwind ahead of you, and that ever-spectacular view from the top of the ridge!!! Follow my training blog: http://robertsontraining.blogspot.com/
smrobs is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 01-12-2013, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Usa
Posts: 858
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs View Post
It can be. When the leg is too straight, then there is no shock absorption and it causes a lot of concussion on the joints in that leg and can lead to soundness problems...not to mention being jarring and uncomfortable for the rider. In addition to that, horses that don't have proper angle in their legs will have a great deal of difficulty using their body properly and it is virtually impossible to get a decent level of collection and/or gait extension from them.
Do you think he will have a problem?
horsecrazygirl13 is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 01-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Higgins, TX. YeeHaw!!
Posts: 22,112
• Horses: 24
There is no way to tell what will be the final result of a particular fault on a particular horse because each horse will progress differently depending on what they are asked to do, how they are trained, and the individual horse's own body.

If you were looking to do mid to higher levels in some discipline, then I would say yes, you would likely end up with soundness issues simply due to the body stress that higher levels of competition require...but then again, he may be fine even to the highest levels, only time would tell.

All I can really do is say that certain faults tend to predispose a horse to certain conditions. For example, IME horses with small feet, upright pasterns, and straight shoulders are predisposed to having Navicular. That doesn't mean that every horse with those faults will end up with Navicular, but they are predisposed to it. So, given the same care and workload as a well conformed horse, the horse with faults is more likely to end up with it.

Best I can really suggest with your horse is to make sure and let him mature before you start him under saddle and condition him slowly and properly to the level you want him to be. It is possible that he may end up with some sort of soundness issue...but it is also possible that he will be healthy and completely sound for the rest of his life. All you can do is do like the rest of us, regardless of a horse's faults; treat him right, watch for discomfort, and enjoy him.

Always remember that feeling of looking at a big, open country over the ears of a good horse, seeing a new trail unwind ahead of you, and that ever-spectacular view from the top of the ridge!!! Follow my training blog: http://robertsontraining.blogspot.com/
smrobs is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 01-12-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Usa
Posts: 858
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs View Post
There is no way to tell what will be the final result of a particular fault on a particular horse because each horse will progress differently depending on what they are asked to do, how they are trained, and the individual horse's own body.

If you were looking to do mid to higher levels in some discipline, then I would say yes, you would likely end up with soundness issues simply due to the body stress that higher levels of competition require...but then again, he may be fine even to the highest levels, only time would tell.

All I can really do is say that certain faults tend to predispose a horse to certain conditions. For example, IME horses with small feet, upright pasterns, and straight shoulders are predisposed to having Navicular. That doesn't mean that every horse with those faults will end up with Navicular, but they are predisposed to it. So, given the same care and workload as a well conformed horse, the horse with faults is more likely to end up with it.

Best I can really suggest with your horse is to make sure and let him mature before you start him under saddle and condition him slowly and properly to the level you want him to be. It is possible that he may end up with some sort of soundness issue...but it is also possible that he will be healthy and completely sound for the rest of his life. All you can do is do like the rest of us, regardless of a horse's faults; treat him right, watch for discomfort, and enjoy him.
I'm not planning anything too stressfull. Just some trail riding and light barrel racing.
horsecrazygirl13 is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 01-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Higgins, TX. YeeHaw!!
Posts: 22,112
• Horses: 24
He really shouldn't have a problem, but it's always good to be aware of "potential"s .

Always remember that feeling of looking at a big, open country over the ears of a good horse, seeing a new trail unwind ahead of you, and that ever-spectacular view from the top of the ridge!!! Follow my training blog: http://robertsontraining.blogspot.com/
smrobs is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 01-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Branson
Posts: 4,264
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs View Post
No, the appearance of the hocks being sickled is just because he's standing camped under. Actually, his hind legs are very, very posty.

A horse that is truly sickle hocked will show it when the points of their hocks are close to lined up vertically with the point of their buttocks.
Correctamundo...
Faceman is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 01-13-2013, 05:42 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 706
• Horses: 2
The poor sorrel horse in the photo illustrating the sickle hock problem, sure has a lot of flaws going against him. Even those low set hocks are terrible!

OP, your baby is stunning! I bet he's a real sweetheart! That face of his is just too cute!
SaddleStrings is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with sickle hocks..... jbolt Horse Conformation Critique 9 02-09-2012 09:18 AM
Sickle Hocked or Not KrystaLake Horse Riding Critique 16 06-25-2010 10:24 PM
cow and sickle hocked??? chika1235 Horse Riding Critique 1 11-10-2009 07:13 PM
Sickle Hocks rosie9r Horse Health 2 08-21-2009 03:30 PM
Sickle-Hocked? Please help me. Solo Horse Health 3 07-22-2008 05:10 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome