Well we still have 5 out of the 6 Thoroughbreds at our barn, and all are doing well. Its been nasty out lately so I haven't gotten pictures, but I snapped a few of Kenzie (the youngest foal) today when we brought them over.
We did decide to keep the first mare, and she will begin her training as soon as it dries up. She's a bit of a hot head but managable, and she's very sweet. The gelding was purchased and will be leaving in two weeks to begin his retraining as a trail mount. The first broodmare and her colt are doing well, and Peppin (the colt) is growing like a weed still! He's now nearly 14hh at only 7 months old...a giant!
Sadly, Kenzie's mama, the black mare- has not done well with us. Her teeth are a wreck and even after a lot of dental work, they're still causing problems and we are having a hard time keeping weight on her. The foot that appeared to be unsound started flaring up last month, and she was unable to put any weight on it. We had the vet out again and they found an old nail in her foot, and it was beginning to abcess. She's had all kinds of antibiotics and the nail was dug out, but just as that was getting better she began to limp again. She appears to have an old bowed tendon that is flaring up. We will give her a few more weeks, but if she does not improve we will have her euthenized. As it is, she will not be able to be resold as a riding horse due to unsoundness, and there just isnt any market for a pasture puff right now. Kenzie is now being bottle fed due to the antibiotics that her momma is on, but she is beginning to graze and eat feed as well.
Kenzie is kind of in her 'raggedy anne' stage right now, since she's shedding out. I'm pretty sure she's going to end up being Sierra's color though! What a cutie.
(video) H-A-Handhalter019.mp4 video by asylumescapee95 - Photobucket
And to show you just how wet our weather has been....
well I guess its better than the drought? XD its not helping Kenzie's rain rot though!
This is how deep the water is almost everywhere!