What is this called?

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Conformation Critique

What is this called?

This is a discussion on What is this called? within the Horse Conformation Critique forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Foal over at the knee 2013
  • Foal is very over at the knee on tip toes

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By DraftyAiresMum

LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-26-2013, 08:16 PM
What is this called?

Here's a very nice off the track Throughbred eventer, but seems to not be perfectly straight in the knee when standing. What exactly is this and how does it affect him? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (41.2 KB, 262 views)
Sponsored Links
    02-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Over at the knee and from the picture, its a little worse then most I've seen
Posted via Mobile Device
    02-26-2013, 08:27 PM
Ahhh I feel silly, I thought over at the knee was something else. Yeah it does look awkward, but he's a superb horse, the major thing holding him back in dressage is his stiff hocks.
    02-26-2013, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by TurnNBurn144    
over at the knee and from the picture, its a little worse then most I've seen
Posted via Mobile Device
^^what she said.
    02-26-2013, 08:41 PM
How's his balance?
    02-26-2013, 08:54 PM
My friend bought a 7 yr old lovely ott that was over at the knee- his knees even shook at times. It never interfered with his gates or soundness and he went on to have a successful lower level eventing career. I wouldn't have bought him- but she was glad she did!
    02-26-2013, 08:59 PM
We had an old QH at my barn that had knees similar to that...only worse. He looked like he was walking on his tip toes.

That doesn't look like over at the knee to me. It looks like his knees are bowed out toward the front. When I think over at the knee, I think of a horse whose humerus is set slightly forward of its cannon bone at the knee joint.
Posted via Mobile Device
EthanQ and existentialpony like this.
    02-26-2013, 09:06 PM
I agree. That looks like something more serious than just over at the knee.
    02-27-2013, 08:14 AM
Green Broke
That is over at the knee. If the horse is working sound I would not worry about it. Most horses over at the knee seem to adjust and do well as long as the leg doesn't buckle forward working.. such as on landing from a jump.

One of the best fox hunters I ever knew.. and I mean a horse that was ridden to hounds.. was a grey with non descript breeding that was as over at the knee as this picture. He never missed a landing or a jump... totally reliable and forward when you needed it.
    02-28-2013, 01:34 AM
Green Broke
I wish I could remember more about where I read about this. But the horses aren't born that way, it is a result of racing and something in their legs getting stretched or tore so the tendons pull the leg back because whatever normally keeps them straight is no longer doing so. And yes, it doesn't seem to give them trouble!

Maybe it was in Dr. Deb Bennet's conformation articles in Equus magazine?

knee, off track, straight, thoroughbred

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is this bit called? QHriderKE Horse Tack and Equipment 4 04-24-2012 08:35 PM
What is this called? Equilove Horse Conformation Critique 8 01-18-2012 01:05 PM
What are these called and where can I get them? :D SorrelHorse Horse Tack and Equipment 4 09-21-2011 01:47 PM
What is this bit called? misskingraven Horse Tack and Equipment 22 09-02-2011 12:48 AM
a horse called Red, a relationship called love... ADozenRoses&Red Horse Stories and Poems 0 07-15-2007 03:21 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0